[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Austin or San Antonio

nhoops

Hey Gang,

So my wife and I are planning a long weekend away with her sister and husband. They are in Chicago and have kids and want to get away. We went to Arz. last year. We are planning on going the end of March.

They are having a tough time deciding (I vote for Austin). So my wife says, "Hey can you ask for advice on that geeky football site? :wacko: They had good advice in the past! " :D

You've gave us great advice when we went to Hawaii, Italy and Arizona!

Ok so we are down to Austin or San Antonio. Our criteria was:

1. Someplace warm

2. Somewhere Southwest flys (they have free flights)

3. Somewhere kind of affordable (We have 1 free flight and Hilton Honors pnts, but I'm unemployed right now, so Vegas lost out)

4. Hotel must have a pool

5. Place must have stuff to do.

I know Austin has a great nightlife and music scene, but how's the food? Anything else to do? And San Antonio has...the Alamo, and the Riverwalk (shoping and food).

Any advice would be great! Thanks!!

I would vote Austin - more to do, better place to hang out, and a much nicer place to visit.

The pro for San Antonio is it is cheaper.

There's my answer.

I will say the wife and I spent an awesome weekend at the Radison Hill Country in San Antonio. It was pre kids so we had extra money. You caould spend the entire weekend at the hotel and Sea World is literally across the street. They have some pretty cool hiking trails and the best pool ever with one of them rolling rivers from pool to pool. Other than the cost, the next biggest negative was the cab ride downtown which was expensive. The hotel has shuttles but we were never able to catch them. I love the Riverwalk but that's 1 night, IMHO.

I'd still pick Austin. Food's probably better in Austin anyways and if you are looking for something unique, hit LBJ's ranch and if it is a warm spring, get some pictures in a blue bonnet field.

There's my answer.

I will say the wife and I spent an awesome weekend at the Radison Hill Country in San Antonio. It was pre kids so we had extra money. You caould spend the entire weekend at the hotel and Sea World is literally across the street. They have some pretty cool hiking trails and the best pool ever with one of them rolling rivers from pool to pool. Other than the cost, the next biggest negative was the cab ride downtown which was expensive. The hotel has shuttles but we were never able to catch them. I love the Riverwalk but that's 1 night, IMHO.

I'd still pick Austin. Food's probably better in Austin anyways and if you are looking for something unique, hit LBJ's ranch and if it is a warm spring, get some pictures in a blue bonnet field.

I vote San Antonio. We consider this issue all the time. Either the Hill Country Hyatt or the Westin La Cantera. Both have great pool complexes, both are near lots of shopping, and both are near Sea World. That's a ton of entertainment right there. The Hill Country Hyatt wins out by virtue of the lazy river ... that is huge entertainment.

Austin is better if you want to live there. But San Antonio is much better to visit on a family vacation.

http://www.westinlacantera.com/

http://hillcountry.hyatt.com/hyatt/hotels/...=sanhcredirect1

In Austin Barton Creek and Marriott Horseshoe Bay are nice ...

http://www.bartoncreek.com/index.cfm

http://www.horseshoebaymarriott.com/Hotel-And-Resort-25.html

I vote San Antonio. We consider this issue all the time. Either the Hill Country Hyatt or the Westin La Cantera. Both have great pool complexes, both are near lots of shopping, and both are near Sea World. That's a ton of entertainment right there. The Hill Country Hyatt wins out by virtue of the lazy river ... that is huge entertainment.

Austin is better if you want to live there. But San Antonio is much better to visit on a family vacation.

http://www.westinlacantera.com/

http://hillcountry.hyatt.com/hyatt/hotels/...=sanhcredirect1

In Austin Barton Creek and Marriott Horseshoe Bay are nice ...

http://www.bartoncreek.com/index.cfm

http://www.horseshoebaymarriott.com/Hotel-And-Resort-25.html

You know I think it was the Hyatt we stayed at, not the Radison. Infact, now that I've looked at Beaumont's link that was it. That would tip the scales for San Antonio if you can stay there for free.

Remeber when I sent someone driving around Cozumel looking for Coyote's when they were supposed to be looking for Coconuts? Sorry.

Thanks for correcting me Beaumont.

For what it's worth, they're close enough to each other that you could spend some time in each if that was your inkling.

That's what I was going to say.

Come to Austin (I'll provide a ton of information later today) and do a day trip down to San Antonio to do the Alamo and Riverwalk.

For what it's worth, they're close enough to each other that you could spend some time in each if that was your inkling.

Another very good point. And if you've rented a car anyways, one one leg of the trip say off of I-35 to the east http://www.texasbbqtrail.com/index.php one and on the way back stay west of I-35 to see the hill country. Unless you are driving up to Austin to hit the bars and listen to music. I wouldn't suggest trying to drive back to San Antonio after partying in Austin properly. You could alway stay in San Antonio and drive up and have the Austin huddlers take you out partying and staty with oneof them.

I've done that BBQ drive and it is the best.

Another very good point. And if you've rented a car anyways, one one leg of the trip say off of I-35 to the east http://www.texasbbqtrail.com/index.php one and on the way back stay west of I-35 to see the hill country. Unless you are driving up to Austin to hit the bars and listen to music. I wouldn't suggest trying to drive back to San Antonio after partying in Austin properly. You could alway stay in San Antonio and drive up and have the Austin huddlers take you out partying and staty with oneof them.

I've done that BBQ drive and it is the best.

Thanks for the advice guys.....some stuff to consider

So we are doing both! Flying into Austin on Thurs 3/26, staying 2 nights (near 6th street), then on to San Antonio for 2 nights staying someplace a little nicer and flying out Monday the 30th.

Would appreciate any advice on resturants/bars/stuff to avoid.

Thanks!

So we are doing both! Flying into Austin on Thurs 3/26, staying 2 nights (near 6th street), then on to San Antonio for 2 nights staying someplace a little nicer and flying out Monday the 30th.

Would appreciate any advice on resturants/bars/stuff to avoid.

Thanks!

Man, I totally forgot to get back to this thread like I promised, but glad you're going to be stopping here in Austin.

You're missing out on SXSW, which is a bummer, but you likely wouldn't be able to get a hotel room anyways. Hopefully you'll still be able to catch some good live music.

E. 6th Street is a conglomerate of dirty bars, IMO. Might be nice for a night if you just want to get silly drunk, but if you want a little more upscale of an evening, W. 6th has some great bars. Ditto with W. 4th (the Warehouse District).

If you stay "downtown" on E. 6th, I recommend The Chuggin' Monkey and The Jackalope.

If you head west to the "better" side of 6th, I recommend Union Park and The Belmont and most definitely Molotov.

Our favorite Warehouse bars would be 219 West (absolutely killer tapas) and Saba Cafe (get a lemongrass Mojito).

As far as lunch fare goes, I have to recommend Rudy's BBQ, although some think other BBQ joints are better. And get a slice of Home Slice pizza. While you're down at Home Slice, take an hour or so to walk the South Congress district for some funky shops, art and vendors. It's a bit far off from the Warehouse or 6th St. bars, but if you get a chance to stop by The Continental Club on South Congress, I highly recommend it.

As far as music goes, if you find that Hayes Carll is in town, I can't stress enough the need to go see him. In fact, if he's playing that weekend, we'll be going. I'll check back here as the date approaches to bring you up to speed on who to see and where to go in terms of live music. To boot, I'll likely be out and about on Thursday night, as that's my night out with the kickball team. I might be able to swing by wherever you're at for a cold one or two if you don't mind meeting a :D crazy Huddler.

There are oodles of other things I could recommend, from kayaking to wine tasting. So, give me a flavor of what y'all like doing and I'll do my best to offer up some more suggestions.

:wacko:

Darin speaks the troof.

E 6th street is a great place to bar hop and get accosted by panhandlers. If you like to shoot pool or play foosball or shuffleboard Buffalo Billiards is a good place to kill a few hours.

Rudy's is excellent and if you're up for a senic drive to San Antonio you should check out the Saltlick BBQ. It's in Driftwood between Austin and San Antonio, be hungry. If you're into chili - Texas style, the Texas Chili Parlor is something you need to experience.

The Continental Club is a hole in the wall but every seat is a good seat the the vibe is incredible. Home Slice is great as well. If you're on Congress and looking for a good breakfast check out the Magnolia Cafe. We ate there all three days we were in town.

The last time the wife and I were there we rented a canoe and paddled Town Lake. A great way to see the lakeshore. Lots of walking and jogging trails along the lake as well.

And be sure to wear your Texas A & M hat. :wacko:

:wacko: The "n" in nhoops stands for "nova" as in Villanova.

Yup, Big John is correct...again.

Thanks for the info guys. Lots of great stuff. We are up for a mix of fun and relaxing. Our hotel in San Antonio is the Hilton Hill County.

Too bad the Spurs schedule didn't work out.....Celtics in town weekend before!

Yup, Big John is correct...again.

Thanks for the info guys. Lots of great stuff. We are up for a mix of fun and relaxing. Our hotel in San Antonio is the Hilton Hill County.

Too bad the Spurs schedule didn't work out.....Celtics in town weekend before!

That's gonna be a nice spot. I'm not an expert on San Antonio, but I would recommend chillin' at your hotel one of the nights, as it looks like they have nice spa luxuries and good restaurants. And your other night I'd recommend going downtown to check out the Riverwalk (although you should probably do it during the day as well) and of course the Alamo. There's some neat shopping a few miles west of the Riverwalk (Market district?).

must go to Boudro's on the Riverwalk (my fav) have the table-side guac, prickly pear margarita, and anything on the dinner menu:

http://www.boudros.com/boudros/

Best advice yet. On all counts. the Chicken fried steak (veal?) is f'n incredible.

I live 2500 miles away now and miss this place weekly.

ETA: Have a few beers at Dicks for lunch. Always good for a few laughs.

Edited by KnightsOfKnee

• 1 month later...

Hey Guys,

Just checking in as the trip approaches. We'll be in Austin from Thursday 'till Saturday AM, then in San Antonio till Monday.

Great tips guys.

Darin, not sure of what we'll be doing 'till we get there but we should PM and exchange numbers just in case we are able to meet up. I'm sure we'll be hitting some bars after dinner on Thurs/Friday nights. Looks like Hayes Carll is in CA that weekend.

Is the Salt Lick worth the trip? If so we may hit it on our way to San Antonio.

Oh and we will be checking out Boudro's in San Antonio's......you had us at table side Guac!!

Edited by nhoops

I would go to new Braunfels. it is one of the coolest places in the state and halfway between the major cesspools you mentioned. I dare you, double dog dare you to go to Oma's House.

Edited by polksalet

Hey Guys,

Just checking in as the trip approaches. We'll be in Austin from Thursday 'till Saturday AM, then in San Antonio till Monday.

Great tips guys.

Darin, not sure of what we'll be doing 'till we get there but we should PM and exchange numbers just in case we are able to meet up. I'm sure we'll be hitting some bars after dinner on Thurs/Friday nights. Looks like Hayes Carll is in CA that weekend.

Is the Salt Lick worth the trip? If so we may hit it on our way to San Antonio.

Oh and we will be checking out Boudro's in San Antonio's......you had us at table side Guac!!

Thursday night may actually be a good night for us to meet up. I play in a kickball league on Thursday nights and we're usually out and about after the game. I'll likely have to work Friday night, unfortunately.

Thursday night may actually be a good night for us to meet up. I play in a kickball league on Thursday nights and we're usually out and about after the game. I'll likely have to work Friday night, unfortunately.

Ya - Darin's a male stripper on the side don'tcha know. Friday's are his busy night.