[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Quit Smoking

fingfootball

• 3 weeks later...
  • Replies 66
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Congrats and continued good luck!

I quit cold turkey last March. The first 4 weeks were tough then it got easier. Now I can't believe I ever smoked and will never do it again! Good luck.

I quit cold turkey Sept. 2003...for me the cravings were the worst in the 1st 2 weeks and after that it was much easier. I agree with you in that I can't believe I ever smoked and also will never do it again.

• 2 weeks later...

Good job.

Kind of appropriate timing on this thread - for me anyway.

I'm going on 4 days myself right now - cold turkey.

Hasn't been too bad yet. I get the occasional craving, so I keep some nicorette handy and chomp on that for a couple hours.

My time is getting closer for me. Dam I love it, but....Please let me vent.

According to my "supplier", butts went up $6 this week from the manufacturers (now $42/carton). As of 4/1/2009, the feds are putting on an additional $6 or more (~$48/carton). I could rationalize any price I guess, I can afford it, but this is freakin' ridiculous! :D

I should do it, for my family if no one else. I quit for 2 months once. Sorry, but the craving doesn't go away after 2 weeks, let alone 2 months. It's a big monkey w/ more than 2 arms! The buzz, the handling of the butt, the time filler, and more make it a lot more than a nicotine addiction only. There is also the point that I have been doing it so long, the rewards, if any, will be minimal. A mind set, but could prove true.

NO...when I quit for 2 months I did NOT feel any better. :D Worse in some ways and packed on at least 20 pounds. YES, I tried the drug, followed the instructions to the letter. It made me feel zoned out, couldn't concentrate, and I wanted to sleep all the time. An ex-neighbor of mine quit for 10 years. Went back to 2 packs a day within 2 weeks! I think once you have the addiction, it stays in your brain forever. AA? :wacko:

Bottom line....I'd like to quit, but I:

Can't afford the weight gain.

It won't make me feel better.

It will make me feel worse.

Thanks for the vent. I may be back here some day for a little help.

TIA

They went up to $56.00 a carton here, saying it will be $8.00 more in Apr.

I bought 5 cartons before they went up so hopefully when I finish them I will try

to quit.

Hope to do as good as You fingfootball

Edited by The Mucca

Well...I am 46 years old... smoked for 36 years and quit 6 weeks ago cold turkey.

Yes I started very young.

No pills, no patches no gum. I had wanted to quit for several years but was scared to try knowing how hard it could be.

I had a freind quit two years ago which inspired me to immediately quit smoking in my house. That was step 1 in the process.

Last spring a good friend and fellow golf buddy was diagnosed with lung cancer. He was 49 years old at the time and died January 18th 2009 at the age of 50. RIP Frank

Six weeks ago I was driving to work and had my usual morning smoke...I had no idea it would be my last one. I skipped going out on break and did not smoke at lunch. Got home thinking I would smoke but decided hey...you made it this far keep it going. I must admit that first night at home was a living hell but I did it.

I somehow tricked myself into quitting and once I started the ball rolling I could not go back...It was weird...I knew I would never smoke again after 2 days.

The first two weeks were the hardest but like people have said there are several times a day that the urge hits but it is just a split second and is easy forgot.

I feel totally liberated. I am no longer living my daily life around having to smoke.

Food does taste better and my sense of smell is like wow. I thought gaining weight would be an issue but so far so good. I also feel better and am happy to be no longer dependent on or supporting Mr. Phillip Morris and Company :wacko:

Step 1 is wanting to quit.

I'm seriously thinking of starting again. This week has been hell.

I can't speak for anyone else, but after quitting more than 4 years ago I think the taste of cigarettes would make me hurl. I still like cigars, and I certaily still like the nicotine buzz. But I can't for the life of me figure out why I ever though cigarettes tasted good. I miss the ritual more than anything.

hangin' in there?

Yep, have not smoked since Feb 3rd still hangin in there. Thanks for askin' swammi. Cravings have dropped off alot, but want one from time to time though. Everytime I want one I do 15 or 20 curls with my 20lb dumb bell. Helped me quit and helpin' the old arm strength too.

Yep, have not smoked since Feb 3rd still hangin in there. Thanks for askin' swammi. Cravings have dropped off alot, but want one from time to time though. Everytime I want one I do 15 or 20 curls with my 20lb dumb bell. Helped me quit and helpin' the old arm strength too.

Good for you!!!! :wacko:

My time is getting closer for me. Dam I love it, but....Please let me vent.

According to my "supplier", butts went up $6 this week from the manufacturers (now $42/carton). As of 4/1/2009, the feds are putting on an additional $6 or more (~$48/carton). I could rationalize any price I guess, I can afford it, but this is freakin' ridiculous! :D

I should do it, for my family if no one else. I quit for 2 months once. Sorry, but the craving doesn't go away after 2 weeks, let alone 2 months. It's a big monkey w/ more than 2 arms! The buzz, the handling of the butt, the time filler, and more make it a lot more than a nicotine addiction only. There is also the point that I have been doing it so long, the rewards, if any, will be minimal. A mind set, but could prove true.

NO...when I quit for 2 months I did NOT feel any better. :D Worse in some ways and packed on at least 20 pounds. YES, I tried the drug, followed the instructions to the letter. It made me feel zoned out, couldn't concentrate, and I wanted to sleep all the time. An ex-neighbor of mine quit for 10 years. Went back to 2 packs a day within 2 weeks! I think once you have the addiction, it stays in your brain forever. AA? :wacko:

Bottom line....I'd like to quit, but I:

Can't afford the weight gain.

It won't make me feel better.

It will make me feel worse.

Thanks for the vent. I may be back here some day for a little help.

TIA

Man, can I ever identify with this post, RR. I just bought another carton. $77 here. I smoke 3 packs a day. That's like $25 a day now.

I was an addict of nicotine before I was even conceived. Both parents smoked. Mom smoked when she was pregnant. I was in a house with two smokers from infancy. I bought my first pack when I was about 8 years old. I did quit once when I was in my twenties for 3 months. It NEVER got any easier for me. Every day was as bad as day 1. I went back on a day when both of my parents were hauled off to hospitals on the same day. In my thiryties I got through 6 days once. That time, every day seemed even worse than the day before. I could stop eating for a week more easilly than not smoking.

I will have to try this chintax stuff, whatever it's called. It can't cost more than $25 a day. I have no choice. Screw the side effects. I feel like a cornered animal. I'll also have to quit coffee, alchohol and all the other triggers that make me light one up. I don't know how I can do this, but I have no choice in the matter. Smokes or a roof over my head.

I hate our government, and all the cheethead politicians that target the easy targets. If I could dress up like an indian, get in a canoe and go dump the cargo from a ship in NY harbor, I would. This sucks.

Man, can I ever identify with this post, RR. I just bought another carton. $77 here. I smoke 3 packs a day. That's like $25 a day now.

I was an addict of nicotine before I was even conceived. Both parents smoked. Mom smoked when she was pregnant. I was in a house with two smokers from infancy. I bought my first pack when I was about 8 years old. I did quit once when I was in my twenties for 3 months. It NEVER got any easier for me. Every day was as bad as day 1. I went back on a day when both of my parents were hauled off to hospitals on the same day. In my thiryties I got through 6 days once. That time, every day seemed even worse than the day before. I could stop eating for a week more easilly than not smoking.

I will have to try this chintax stuff, whatever it's called. It can't cost more than $25 a day. I have no choice. Screw the side effects. I feel like a cornered animal. I'll also have to quit coffee, alchohol and all the other triggers that make me light one up. I don't know how I can do this, but I have no choice in the matter. Smokes or a roof over my head.

I hate our government, and all the cheethead politicians that target the easy targets. If I could dress up like an indian, get in a canoe and go dump the cargo from a ship in NY harbor, I would. This sucks.

$750 a month! That's more than my mortgage payment.