[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Screw Pete Rose

Pope Flick

Charlie Hustle. What a perfect name for him, given to him years before we realized how perfect it was!!

Now, he finally admits what we all knew and he lied about for so long, and we're supposed to do for him what Baseball decided long ago they will do to alleged gamblers? Fuhgeddaboudit.

The mere fact he even allowed himself into a situation where he owes $1000s to bookies as manager of a team begs the question: did he ever offer to mismange a game to have a few Gs taken off his debt.

IF they EVER let him in, it should be after he passes.

The simple fact that he's lied for something like 14 years and now turns around and says JUST KIDDING reeks of mega-bull****. Oprah Pete Rose. Everyone knows he was a great player even if he doesn't get let into the HOF, so I say let him suffer by not letting him in. Screw him and who cares.

Hey, let's bet on whether or not he gets in the HOF next year.

Yeah, it sucks he lied but I think everyone knew he was lying for the last 14 years. It'd be like OJ saying he really did it.

Ty Cobb is in the HOF so being a choirboy certainly isn't a pre-req. I'd say let him in as a player, then ban him from any baseball front office or managerial jobs. He should have no Major League Baseball-related positions. smash

Trojanmojo:

Yeah, it sucks he lied but I think everyone knew he was lying for the last 14 years.  It'd be like OJ saying he really did it.

Ty Cobb is in the HOF so being a choirboy certainly isn't a pre-req.  I'd say let him in as a player, then ban him from any baseball front office or managerial jobs.  He should have no Major League Baseball-related positions.    smash  

Ty Cobb didn't bet on the game. The Black Sox established the precedent - banning for life for the HOF. If Shoeless Joe (much evidence he never bet) can't get in, then what are the odds that Pete will?

PopeFlick4:

Trojanmojo:

Yeah, it sucks he lied but I think everyone knew he was lying for the last 14 years.  It'd be like OJ saying he really did it.

Ty Cobb is in the HOF so being a choirboy certainly isn't a pre-req.  I'd say let him in as a player, then ban him from any baseball front office or managerial jobs.  He should have no Major League Baseball-related positions.     smash  

Ty Cobb didn't bet on the game. The Black Sox established the precedent - banning for life for the HOF. If Shoeless Joe (much evidence he never bet) can't get in, then what are the odds that Pete will?
I think they should let Shoeless Joe in too. :D I think the odds that Rose gets in are good now. Whether that's a good thing is quite arguable. He shouldn't be let in as a manager, that's for sure.

The critical reason for the timing of the confession is that this is the last year the sprotswriters vote on the HOF inductees. Next time it goes strictly by veterans.

With an emotional confession, "Charlie Hustle" (I had forgotten that!) can get Selig to lift his "ban from baseball," and then the popular press will sweep him into the Hall.

Ty Cobb, as stated, certainly wasn't an upstanding moral person, but got in on the strength of three seasons of batting better than 0.400 and a lifetime batting average of 0.367.

Should the HOF jusdge a player's moral character, or just his achievements on the field? The list of players (of most sports) with moral lapses on similar (or larger) scales is quite lengthy. Worth thinking about, though.

What's funny is Charlie Hustle has ONE year left with the reporters before he gets bumped to the veterans committee, where the rumor is he's got NO chance.

I say roll the bones - give Petey ONE shot at the HoF.

And I also think Shoeless should be in - his "lifetime" ban is over, since he died in '51.

He hasn't garnered any sympathy from me, that's for sure. Not only did he lie and lie and lie, even after it was clear he was lying, but now here in the midst of his "coming clean" and "clearing the slate", he's STILL lying about various details of HOW and WHEN he placed his bets on baseball. He continues to deny that he placed bets from his manager's office at the ballpark, but two of the guys he placed these bets with have said this was a common occurrence.

Shoeless Joe got screwed. He went 12 for 32 in that series and batted .375 with 3 doubles, a HR and 6 RBI. If he was throwing the series, he was really bad at it.

Rose is already in the hall of fame as much as he should be. His name reads at the top of the career hits chart, and all his other accomplishments are listed, he just doesn't have a plaque.

Should he? I'm starting not to think so.

I love that Bob Feller asked for his plaque to be removed if Rose is allowed in.

Pete Rose is a Megan Fox bag. Nearly everything that I have heard or read about Rose confirms this. I can believe a lot of things, but one thing I find unbelievable is the fervent support some give to him.

You can make an argument that he deserves to be in the HOF because of his achievments, but if you believe that Rose is being screwed or are otherwise upset that Rose is banned from baseball, you need help.

9 people say he should be let in as is?? :confused:

Gambling on baseball = lifetime ban.

He knew the rule. He broke the rule. He's even admitted to breaking the rule.

What part of Lifetime Ban do people not understand?

So this year he admits generically he bet on baseball. In his next book, he will admit he bet on the Reds to win. Finally in his 3rd book, he'll admit that he screwed the team all the way around.

Let him keep on swinging in the wind.

Throwing a game as mgr is harder than as a player. He belongs in the Hall of Fame unless they prove he gambled as a player.

They need to prove things before going forward. Doing it behind closed doors is bad for the game. Let the truth out and stop this foolishness. Tha game can handle the truth.

Joe Jackson should be in too. Baseball overreacted to gambling then and now. Keep Rose out of baseball now yes, but unless they prove he threw games as a player he should be in as a player.

Eddie Lee Ivery:

Throwing a game as mgr is harder than as a player. He belongs in the Hall of Fame unless they prove he gambled as a player.

How can you say that? Gee, we're cruising along here, up 5-2. Think I'll pull my starter even though he has yet to hit 90 pitches, and put in a mediocre reliver. Hmm, we're up by 3 but it's only the 6th? Better put in my Defensive players, even thought their bats are weak....

Players can bobble balls and go 0-4. Managers can do far more damage to a game, especially if they know theyll have $50,000 forgiven by the bookie.

ALl of that is conjecture, but that fact that it can be alleged is enough - he's not contrite and trying to make ca$h off of his apology. How honest do you think he's being?

PopeFlick4:

he's not contrite and trying to make ca$h off of his apology. How honest do you think he's being?
EXACTLY!!!! He's trying to cash in on his apology!!! Whatever, Pete! Go have a nice nap in your pile of cash but forget the HOF.

The guy just needs to go away. He was a hard nosed player, but he's bad for baseball now. And he should NEVER, EVER, UNDER ANY CIRCUMSTANCES be allowed into the Hall of Fame. In fact, the commissioner shouldn't even acknowledge his existence. Die, Pete, DIE!!!

Does the Hall acknowledge the greatness of the player or the man? Do we exclude Lawrence Taylor or Micheal Irvin from the Hall because of their actions?

I say let the "Ballplayer" in the hall. The man you can ignor.

McBoog:

Does the Hall acknowledge the greatness of the player or the man?  Do we exclude Lawrence Taylor or Micheal Irvin from the Hall because of their actions?

I say let the "Ballplayer" in the hall.  The man you can ignor.

.... first of all, Michael Irvin in NOT in the football hall of fame. coach LT did drugs which many other pro sports athletes do..... he did not gamble on the game.

the baseball rules clearly state (and have stated for years) that there's one thing that you can do to get yourself banned from the league.... gambling on the game.... that's it. Only one rule that you have to abide by.... and he couldn't do it. In fact, when asked (after 15 years of ly'in through his teeth), why he did it.... his response was, "I didn't think I'd get caught." lol

The "man" has tainted the "ballplayer" beyond repair.