[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Your Hometown / Where You Live Now

darin3

Hometown: South Glens Falls, NY

Has a charm now that I didn't appreciate as a kid. Growing up in the sticks was a mixed blessing. Going back is nice for a day or so, especially in the winter to see snow. Growing up, I could not wait to get away and only applied to colleges at least a 4 hour drive from home. I would not move back to NY State. My family and friends are scattered across the US, so there is little reason for me to go back.

Current locale: League City, TX

Suburb of Houston, which I spent the day in yesterday at the Zoo and Flying Saucer with my family and friends. I will say I like having the city nearby. We've got awesome public schools, and we've made good friends here. I would move if need be, but there are few places that I would consider better (except for the weather of course).

OK I'll take a stab at remembering every where:

Born in St. Louis, Missouri.

Dad was in the 82nd Airborne so we lived in Fayetteville, North Carolina.

Back to St. Louis.

Lived in rural Missouri near the big metropolis of Red Bird.

San Diego, California in '72.

San Onofre, California, '72.

Iwakuni, Japan.

Bien Hoa, South Vietnam.

Nam Phong, Thailand.

Camp Hansen, Okinawa.

Camp LeJuene, North Carolina.

Viegues, Puerto Rico.

Fort Drum, New York, (the coldest place on earth in January/February).

6 months cruising the Mediterranean Sea from Rota, Spain to Beirut, Lebanon.

Back to LeJuene.

Emporia, Kansas. (Going to school and meeting hot babes! :wacko: The hottest one finally broke down under my withering, relentless, BS and agreed to marry me!)

New Knoxville, Ohio.

Finally get back to God's Country, Rolla, Missouri.

St. James, Missouri.

One more move, the last one, to the family farm, back near Red Bird.

I enjoyed the travelling when I was in my teens and 20's but once the little Rollers started coming along I must say I am very glad I raised them in a rural, small town setting. Mrs HR is from New York Friggin' City and the many times we have been back to visit family always makes me thankful for middle of nowhere Missouri.

Dam...Sky and Roller........... :wacko:

You guys have lived in more spots than I have been to possibly! And I have traveled quite a bit!

Military will do that.

BTW...Did I ever thank you guys for your service to our country??

If NOT...God Bless you both and anyone else here who served us!

We have 2 friends that are currently serving, a 2nd cuz who was severely injured, and several Vet friends.

I know of Ursa's son also.

Anyone else?

Bless Yall! And bless ALL! :D

Hometown: Nashville, Arkansas. It is the only thing in the entire state worth savings. Quite simply the best schools and athletics in the state. I would put them against anything anywhere. But it is one weird joint so i'm glad i'm gone lol. Think Sparta for rednecks.

Current: Redwater, Texas. It is similar to where I was raised but that athletics are a sham. it is in Texas so I dont have to tell you about the financial benefits of living here. It is awesome but I wish I didn't have to drive 60 miles back home to Nashville to watch competitive football.

Dam...Sky and Roller........... :wacko:

You guys have lived in more spots than I have been to possibly! And I have traveled quite a bit!

Military will do that.

BTW...Did I ever thank you guys for your service to our country??

If NOT...God Bless you both and anyone else here who served us!

We have 2 friends that are currently serving, a 2nd cuz who was severely injured, and several Vet friends.

I know of Ursa's son also.

Anyone else?

Bless Yall! And bless ALL! :D

Military service thread

I've been thinking a lot about this topic for a few months now, and it's come to a head over the past couple of weeks, especially since I made my last trip back to Southern California for the foreseeable future. So, for those of you that live far enough away from where you grew up, what do you miss about your hometown? What things in your new hometown make things balance out?

Hometown: Costa Mesa, CA

1. My family - This goes without saying, but not being able to see my parents whenever I want is a pretty big deal. When I lived local, I'd see them at least once a week.

2. My local friends - Granted, a lot of my better friends from high school moved away, but there was still a good network of friends still there.

3. The beach - I was never a big beach guy; didn't surf or anything. But there was just something about heading down to the beach on a summer afternoon and evening and feeling/smelling that ocean breeze.

4. Certain restaurants and bars/hangouts - Every time I went home on business, I always tried to eat at my favorite spots: be it Del Taco, or hole in the wall places. And as a few Huddlers can attest to, I was a "regular" at a few real fun bars in Costa Mesa. This goes along with #2, as I enjoyed hanging out with my local friends at these spots and catching up and having a few brewskis. :wacko:

5. The location, in general - A 30-minute, cheap flight to Vegas. An hour or so drive to ski resorts (not that I skied, but the wife snowboards). An hour to destinations in LA or San Diego or Palm Springs.

6. Security - When you boil it down, being close to where you grew up just makes you feel safe and secure. Be it family, or friends you grew up with, there's something to say about being comfortable in your own 'hood.

New "Hometown": Austin, TX

1. The "vibe" of this city - I guess the number one thing in this balancing act is the fact that this city is so vibrant, with so much going for it and so much do to. Be it the yearly SXSW music festival, Austin City Limits music festival, the host of great bars and restaurants, there's always something going on here. It was easy to get comfortable.

2. New friends - I guess it's a given that you make new friends. I have always been nervous/leery about meeting new friends, even when I went away to college. But I ended up making friendships in college that will last my lifetime, so I had to be open to meeting people here. I've made some good friends here.

3. The challenge of starting my own company - I'm not always 100% confident in myself, but I have to remain strong and believe in myself and my concept. I've been told I offer an invaluable service, so I just need to weather this storm, because in the long run, I think it will make for a good life for me, my wife, and my eventual family.

4. Bars/restaurants - I guess this kind of coincides with #1, but there are just SO many awesome restaurants and fun bars/hangouts here in Austin. You really can find anything here.

5. The lake - Again, not much of a water guy, but going out on our friends' boat for the day is simply awesome.

6. Location - Much like my "real hometown", there's a lot of interesting spots pretty nearby: San Antonio's an hour away, Dallas about 3 or 3/1/2, Houston about 2 1/2. Lots of camping and just gorgeous scenery around Austin. And an 8-hour drive to my wife's hometown of Baton Rouge, LA.

- - - - - - -

So, it looks like things balance out pretty well. I still miss "home", but am exploring my new hometown and finding that it's definitely more than adequate.

What say you, if you're in a similar situation?

Noticed lots of Cali license plates on Texas roads the last couple years. Not sure if thats a good thing or not.

Born in Muncie, Indiana.

Was in Chicago for a few years but then moved to Peoria, Illinois, at age seven and stayed there until I went off to college, medical school, and residency training.

Moved to San Diego 31 years ago and haven't left. :wacko:

ok, here goes...

Born in Sheboygan, WI

moved 30 miles to Port Washington , WI in 2nd grade

moved back to Sheboygan

moved 250 miles to Eau Claire, WI

glad I could remember that all. Take that Sky!

Hometown: South Glens Falls, NY

Has a charm now that I didn't appreciate as a kid. Growing up in the sticks was a mixed blessing. Going back is nice for a day or so, especially in the winter to see snow. Growing up, I could not wait to get away and only applied to colleges at least a 4 hour drive from home. I would not move back to NY State. My family and friends are scattered across the US, so there is little reason for me to go back.

Current locale: League City, TX

Suburb of Houston, which I spent the day in yesterday at the Zoo and Flying Saucer with my family and friends. I will say I like having the city nearby. We've got awesome public schools, and we've made good friends here. I would move if need be, but there are few places that I would consider better (except for the weather of course).

Substitute Westby, Wi for South Glens Falls and Cypress for League City and there you have it. :wacko:

Hometown - Hibbing, MN

1. Family first and foremost, and they still live up there.

2. Proximity to the lakes and woods. It was a 10 minute drive pretty much in any direction to find a old logging trail to do some grouse hunting or about a 30 minute drive to where we used to deer hunt. Throw a 12 foot boat and a 4 horse motor in the back of the truck and drive to a lake within minutes and have the whole thing to yourself. Man, those were the best of times.

3. Only about 45 minutes to the family cabin.

4. The mine dumps. Used to have a blast going out there during the evenings and exploring the old spoil piles and lakes/ponds that were created from mining. Some great party spots there too.

5. The outdoor hockey rinks. Late night boot hockey games were a blast. Got a decent collection of scars from those too.

New hometown - Oakdale, MN

1. SInce it's a suburb of St. Paul, there's access to plenty of good nighttime spots. Bars, restaraunts, sporting events, theatre, etc. Basically, you aren't limited to the same group of bars my hometown has for your weekend entertainment.

2. My job. Lot more opportunities here than back home, which is why I didn't mention friends under the hometown list. Most of them moved out long ago for better opportunities. I still do have a few friends up north however.

3. Not sure how to explain this, but I guess options or opportunities. I guess just in general. Meeting new people, I was able to make a lot of new friends here, joined some other football leagues (UFF-DA), and basically getting into all those leagues got me more involved with the Huddle which in turn introduced me to a great group of people and I am still enjoying that very much. Can't say for sure it would have been the same had I stayed up in Hibbing.

4. Met my fiancee down here as well. :wacko:

5. The proximity to other attractions. It's much easier to take a road trip to places along the St. Croix river or New Ulm from here rather than making the long drive from up north. Again, I guess this ties back in with the increased options/opportunities to experience new things and meet new people.

Lest you think I regret having lived in Hibbing, that's not true at all. Unfortunately it's a small town with a seemingly closed-minded mentality, and when I go back to visit there the stagnation of the area is unbelievable.

Wow, am I boring.

Born and raised in Fort Wayne, IN and have lived here my whole life except for my 4yrs at Ball State.

I personally have a good situation wok-wise, but I tell my 16yr old to get out of here when it comes time to make that decision. Someplace warm.

Just not enough opportunity here and not enough things to do. I've stayed because of family - not because I love it here.

Grew up in Mt. Nebo, WV. Probably 2000 people in a good year, but it was a great place to grow up. Grandparents farm was 15 mins away, could go shoot/pee off the back porch, land for hunting, hiking, camping, etc. A large lake on which said grandparents had a boat. From there went to the grand metropolis of Charleston, WV for college, then down to suburbs of Atlanta not long after graduation. About two years ago moved to Gainesville, GA (50 or so miles N of Atlanta). A small town feel, much like where I grew up. I don't like the weather much in GA (in the summer it's too damn hot to not be near the ocean, in the winter it gets too damn cold to get no snow) but otherwise Gainesville is a great little town.