[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

AIG

dmarc117

American Intl: CNBC reporting that AIG is seeking funds from govt ahead of report; says co could report loss of $60 bln

CNBC's Faber reports that the co is in discussion with the govt to secure additional funds so it can keep operating after next Monday, when it will report the largest loss in corp history. Sources say the losses will be near, if not exceeding, $60 bln due to write downs on a variety of assets. The loss is likely to trigger downgrades of its insurance and credit ratings, which will force the co to raise collateral. As well it its book value falls below a certain value, which it is cerain to do, it will trigger defaults in certain of its debt instruments, according to people familiar with the situation. Talks are focused on the co can swap some of the debt held by the govt for equity in the co. The only problem with this is that the govt's ownership take cant exceed 79.9%. If it can't meet the collateral calls, AIG is preparing for the possibility of bankruptcy; although a bankruptcy is unlikely, a bankruptcy of the holding company might not pose the systemic risk it once did.

:wacko:

Edited by dmarc117

I'm starting to become numb and desensitized to these reports. Free market capitalism rocks.

Yes it does. Unfortunately massively regulated capitalism where those that are in charge of the oversight are given hugh campaign donations by those they are supposed to be regulating doesn't. Individuals used to do their own due diligence, now they expect the government to do it for them like everything else. When the people doing the regulating are getting paid by the people they are regulating, they tend to look the other way.

Yes it does. Unfortunately massively regulated capitalism where those that are in charge of the oversight are given hugh campaign donations by those they are supposed to be regulating doesn't. Individuals used to do their own due diligence, now they expect the government to do it for them like everything else. When the people doing the regulating are getting paid by the people they are regulating, they tend to look the other way.

:wacko: You are gone, man. Gone.

i think barney frank's manlover is on the board of fannie

WASHINGTON — Unqualified home buyers were not the only ones who benefitted from Massachusetts Rep. Barney Frank’s efforts to deregulate Fannie Mae throughout the 1990s.

So did Frank’s partner, a Fannie Mae executive at the forefront of the agency’s push to relax lending restrictions.

Edited by dmarc117

You watch timmay's PBS link?

Lack of regulation was so obviously not the problem.

You watch timmay's PBS link?

Lack of regulation was so obviously not the problem.

The PBS link I watched didn't address with anything that really lead up to why Bear Stearns went belly up (i.e., the stuff that happened years / decades ago) ... just with what happed immediately prior to and afterwards.

The PBS link I watched didn't address with anything that really lead up to why Bear Stearns went belly up (i.e., the stuff that happened years / decades ago) ... just with what happed immediately prior to and afterwards.

It addressed the issue rather clearly to me.

have you heard the rumor why they let bs and leh go under? :wacko:

have you heard the rumor why they let bs and leh go under? :wacko:

Paulson didn't like Fuld (Lehmans' CEO) ... and ... Bear was the only Wall Street firm that didn't participate in the LTCM bail out in the late 1990s and Paulson was still pissed at Bear for that.

Edited by muck

He was in the eye of the storm and his decisions may have been biased by previous actions of those he was dealing with ...

Certainly but that's probably inherent to the position unless you want someone with no experience.

I just asked if it was his fault?

Certainly but that's probably inherent to the position unless you want someone with no experience.

I just asked if it was his fault?

"Fault" implies definity. In this case, there is no definity.

Lots of people to carry part of the blame. Frankly, probably everyone that does not live completely off the grid enjoys some part of the blame. IMO.

Personally, I think that the last 40 years of congress and POTUS's, plus the regulators they all hired / appointed, plus Greenspan, plus the "compensation consultants" who promoted the current compensation struture on Wall Street (and most of the rest of corporate America), plus...you get the idea...are all far more to blame than Paulson or Bernanke.

Edited by muck

"Fault" implies definity. In this case, there is no definity.

Lots of people to carry part of the blame. Frankly, probably everyone that does not live completely off the grid enjoys some part of the blame. IMO.

Personally, I think that the last 40 years of congress and POTUS's, plus the regulators they all hired / appointed, plus Greenspan, plus the "compensation consultants" who promoted the current compensation struture on Wall Street (and most of the rest of corporate America), plus...you get the idea...are all far more to blame than Paulson or Bernanke.

That seems to be an endictment or indictment (I never read what those papers say) of the system.

Edited by Clubfoothead