[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Children and Manners

whomper

I worked a christening yesterday and there was about 25 kids at this party. They came up to the bar a million times and were pretty much unsupervised. I dished out about 100 shirley temples and cokes . I noticed that the manners percentage was probably at about 50%. Some kids said can I please have a blank and thank you when I gave it to them and others literally said Gimme a coke. My kids arent perfect and neither is my wife and I (bedtime :wacko:) but we are sticklers for the please and thank yous and good manners in general.

We got it in their heads to always hug and kiss our relatives hello when we all get together and when i do see someone do something nice for them I am happy to say they almost always say thank you but in the event that they dont and I am there I re-enforce it on the spot. Thoughts ?

edit to add: Do you ever correct another persons kid ? I usually dont but I have seen it happen

Edited by whomper

I think 80% of kids are rude little . A direct result of terrible parenting. When we go to a retaurant and I observe other kids it often times makes me want to smack their parents. Kids listening to an iPod druing a meal could be one of the most amazing things I've ever seen.

Edited by DMD

It's the first impression thing. Some of the first things noticed about you by anyone is your visual appearance and your manners. It makes a hugh difference in other people perception of you, yet too many people seem to be too lazy to impart that very simple understanding to their kids.

I wouldn't correct another person's kid. I came real close one time in Wal-Mart when I witnessed a young boy throwing a fit in line and punching his grandmother in the stomach. She would just yell "ouch" and tell him to stop. The mother was standing right there and did nothing about it. I've never seen anything like it. Completely the parent's fault and the kid will probably grow up to be a serial killer.

We really reinforce the "please" word with our 2 1/2 year old. He almost always says "please" and "thank you." And if he doesn't, we correct him. We're not really big on the "yes, Sir/ no, Mam" thing but we probably should be.

Yeah, the Mrs. and I went to see Taken this weekend. There was a row down close to the front of about 20 or so kids, say 13-15 years old. They spent the movie texting, (so you could see the light on their phones) talking, giggling, running in and out, and generally making a nuisance of themselves. I finally told the ringleader to call me sily call me rude, but call me please, and they mostly quieted down. I want to beat kids like that, and if they were my own, I probably would have given some red-ass.

Kids listening to an iPod druing a meal could be one of the most amazing things I've ever seen.

If it's at a restaurant and it's not my kid and it keeps them quiet. . .I'm all for it.

Please and thank you are a constant battle in my house. I won't fulfill requests from the kids without a please, and yet almost every time I still ahve to sit there and wait for them to ask me a couple of times before they realize they forgot to say please. I keep reminding my son, but I'm not sure what otehr methods I can use to get it ingrained in him.

Restaurants are tough. We are very consicious of the other people around us. At least once we have packed up all of our food and left before eating becuase we just couldn't get the kids to settle down. Other times out they have been perfect little angels. It's inbetween those two extremes that gets hard to handle. What do you do when the kids are a little loud and just a little wild, but not so much that you would necessarily get upset, scold, punish or correct them? I mean kids want to go out and have some fun too... they just don't have the maturity to know where to draw the line. It's not easy to always balance that correctly for them.

With my two it seems to depend on what kind of mood they are in. At times they are perfectly mannered angels, but there are times when I just want to throttle them. For the most part they are pretty good. When they aren't good they tend to be spoiled brats. Unfortunately my parents have spoiled them rotten. Though sometimes it is so bad it is funny, like when my girls first realized that not all hotels have a concierge. We've since made a concerted effort to expose them to the real world.

With my two it seems to depend on what kind of mood they are in. At times they are perfectly mannered angels, but there are times when I just want to throttle them. For the most part they are pretty good. When they aren't good they tend to be spoiled brats. Unfortunately my parents have spoiled them rotten. Though sometimes it is so bad it is funny, like when my girls first realized that not all hotels have a concierge. We've since made a concerted effort to expose them to the real world.

OK sugar, er, I mean Perch...

I was going to post something similar after what happened this weekend.

Took my kids (15 and 11) to a Johnny Rockets for burgers and fries. Their mother and I have ridden them pretty hard over the years about resturant behavior. When the waitress came to the table to take the order, they each gave her their order starting with "May I please have the......" and ending with "thank you." The waitress was very pleased and mentioned that they had very good manners. Now THAT is a really good feeling to have as a parent.

I had a party this weekend, and I saw a 5 year old girl say "No, Mommy! No! It's not fair! I hate you!" to her mom, and her mom just shrugged and said "See? I told you they are terrible."

It was everything I could do to not walk up and talk to that girl very sternly about the way she was speaking. I almost felt like at my house, I had the right to do it... but better judgment got to me first. I can't imagine letting that happen and doing nothing. The kid does it because she gets away with it!

EDIT: Just corrected. I thought it was 7, but she was 5. Sheesh.

Edited by AtomicCEO

I wouldn't correct another person's kid. I came real close one time in Wal-Mart when I witnessed a young boy throwing a fit in line and punching his grandmother in the stomach. She would just yell "ouch" and tell him to stop. The mother was standing right there and did nothing about it. I've never seen anything like it. Completely the parent's fault and the kid will probably grow up to be a serial killer.

We really reinforce the "please" word with our 2 1/2 year old. He almost always says "please" and "thank you." And if he doesn't, we correct him. We're not really big on the "yes, Sir/ no, Mam" thing but we probably should be.

Try snarling at the, seriously, it freaks them out bad/fast.

I had a party this weekend, and I saw a 5 year old girl say "No, Mommy! No! It's not fair! I hate you!" to her mom, and her mom just shrugged and said "See? I told you they are terrible."

It was everything I could do to not walk up and talk to that girl very sternly about the way she was speaking. I almost felt like at my house, I had the right to do it... but better judgment got to me first. I can't imagine letting that happen and doing nothing. The kid does it because she gets away with it!

EDIT: Just corrected. I thought it was 7, but she was 5. Sheesh.

i see this all the time. and all i hear is, they are kids blah blah blah. parents are terrible these days.

About the only time I will correct another persons kid is when I take my boys to the park in town. I see some kids that push and shove and act like hellions in general I will call them out and tell them to chill. One, so they dont endanger my boys and push them off of something. Two, so my boys dont think that it is ok to act like that.

It never fails to astonish me that some parents get to the park and they think their parenting duties are on hold and let kids go nuts.