[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Tropic Thunder

detlef

To all the people who told me it was comic genius disguised as stupidity, I say that was not a disguise at all.

So, let me get this straight, when actors who are basically always annoying as hell are annoying as hell, only this time they're joking. Now it's funny?

When Tom Cruise, who yells all of his lines anyway plays a guy who yells all the time? What exactly is different? Don't get me started on Stiller who was exactly the same dumbass he absolutely always is. Was he pretending as well? And this just confirms without a doubt that I am completely done with Jack Black. Thanks for High Fidelity, Jack. You should have stopped there.

Downey Jr. was easily the strongest in that flick but I even got sick of his fake black dude shtick after a while.

Fortunately, my wife hates Stiller flicks even more than I do, so I will have no temptation at all to ever see another.

Fortunately, my wife hates Stiller flicks even more than I do, so I will have no temptation at all to ever see another.

Based on the above review, I'd say never seeing another one again would be a good move for you. :D

I personally thought it was one of his better efforts...:wacko:

Based on the above review, I'd say never seeing another one again would be a good move for you. :D

I personally thought it was one of his better efforts...:wacko:

For all I know, it's his best work since Zoolander and Something About Mary, both of which were great flicks. However, since I think the rest is basically crap, I have a hard time ranking them.

To all the people who told me it was comic genius disguised as stupidity, I say that was not a disguise at all.

So, let me get this straight, when actors who are basically always annoying as hell are annoying as hell, only this time they're joking. Now it's funny?

When Tom Cruise, who yells all of his lines anyway plays a guy who yells all the time? What exactly is different? Don't get me started on Stiller who was exactly the same dumbass he absolutely always is. Was he pretending as well? And this just confirms without a doubt that I am completely done with Jack Black. Thanks for High Fidelity, Jack. You should have stopped there.

Downey Jr. was easily the strongest in that flick but I even got sick of his fake black dude shtick after a while.

I've never gotten it about Stiller. To me he is just plain not funny & aside from the good writing & costarring roles in Something About Mary & Meet the Parents his entire career has been a waste of good film.

+1

Also, RDJr, awesome. Tom Cruise, whom I hate, fantastic. The explosives guy, hysterical.

What was it about Cruise that you liked? It seems like he's getting a lot of self-effacing points for donning the fat suit and the bald spot. Others said that this could be Cruise's "D!ck in a box" moment. Where he makes fun of himself and endears himself to all of us who just thought he was vinegary fresh.

But, he doesn't really make fun of himself at all. He plays the man in charge, yet again. Sure, dude is an a-hole, but he's still the man. So, the closest he comes to this being some self-effacing gesture is that he's not the hero for once. Not good enough, I guess.

Oh, and the only reason why I'm even analyzing this to the degree I am is that freaking everyone was telling me I just had to see it. And yes, the "d!ck in a box" comparison had been made by more than one person.

Edited by detlef

I'm sorry you felt that way. I would say that it was one of Stiller's worst movies, that just happened to be redeemed by the performances of Downey Jr. and Cruise. I thought those 2 were great.

i'd give this one a C+. i thought rdj was very good. cruise's character annoyed me. stiller was his average self. i really liked there's something about mary and meet the parents. thought those were A+ comedies.

tropic thunder is one of those movies where the "unrated cut" hurts it, i think. i did not see the theater edit, but i know i would have cut out much of the unrated cut stuff that probably did get axed. it bogged down the movie even more. talladega nights was the same way.

unfortunatlely, the unrated cut was my only option at blockbuster, so that's what i watched. there's usually a reason much of the stuff that gets cut gets cut. if it was really good, they would find a way to keep it in the movie.