[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

100 greatest indie-rock albums

Azazello1313

I've got about 20 of those albums, all of which I was introduced to through KEXP. But of the albums I own that are on the list, they're all very good. So I'll at least give the list maker some props for that.

that was sorta my thought as well, that the ones I have are pretty good.

that was sorta my thought as well, that the ones I have are pretty good.

It does seem like there are a lot of commercially successful "indie" bands on that list. But frankly, the list lost all credibility with me when it didn't include NOFX on it. Those guys are as indie as it gets, and "White Trash, Two Heebs and a Bean" is a classic

it appears to have been compiled by music editors at amazon.com. I don't point that out to give them any cred or anything, just tossing out the info.

I was mostly toungely and cheekly pointing out that a list like this is extremely subjective and full of all kinds of personal taste. I mean, Neutral Milk Hotel and Slint did not put out the 2nd and 3rd best indie rock records of the last 25 years unless you're an extreme fan of those bands and have never bothered to listen to the Restless Records era Flaming Lips or early Sonic Youth which obviously inspired those acts to make said records. :wacko:

Also, I love Guided by Voices, but I would not consider Bee Thousand to be their masterwork. Under the Bushes, Under the Stars or Alien Lanes, or even Mag Earwhig! or the Ric Ocasek produced Do the Collapse are better albums and have better collections of songs.

OK, I'm going to say it.

Liz Phair is just an overrated hot chick.

As you were.

I think Exile In Guyville was a great album. Didn't really get into any of her stuff after that, but did wear that CD out when it was first released.

2. Neutral Milk Hotel - In the Aeroplane Over The Sea

13. Sufjan Stevens - Greetings From Michigan

18. Postal Service - Give Up

35. Panda Bear - Person Pitch

48. Sigur Ros - Agaetis Byrjun

70. The Sea and Cake - The Fawn

87. Morphine - Cure for Pain

97. Built To Spill - Ultimate Alternative Wavers

I can vouch for these. Big Sufjan Stevens, Sea and Cake, and Built to Spill fan.

I have about 20 of those bands in my music collection, but not necessarily the specific album mentioned. Lke GTS said, I don't think the albums mentioned are necessarily the masterpieces for each band. The lone Animal Collective album for instance (Merriweather Post Pavillion) was just released 2 months ago - how can it already be that highly regarded? Sung Tongs by AC is their best, IMO.

It does seem like there are a lot of commercially successful "indie" bands on that list. But frankly, the list lost all credibility with me when it didn't include NOFX on it. Those guys are as indie as it gets, and "White Trash, Two Heebs and a Bean" is a classic

I dont know at this point if FAT or Epitaph constitute "indie" anymore.

I've never heard the term Indie nor have I owned any of the albums on the list. I think I'll stick to Glen Campbell.

Even Meet Glen Campbell? It's horrible unfortunately, IMHO.

I've got the following fwiw:

8. Pixies - Surfer Rosa

12. Sonic Youth - Daydream Nation

13. Sufjan Stevens - Greetings From Michigan

24. Arcade Fire - Funeral

25. Beat Happening - Black Candy

31. Fugazi - Repeater

32. Replacements - Let it Be

55. Andrew Bird - The Mysterious Production of Eggs

They sure seem to like more recent stuff. For example, I'm not sure how Rough Trade Records, Ruby and Slash Records, Megaforce Records and even Sub Pop don't fit the definition of indie but whatever. I'm not familiar with quite a few of the bands so I'll probably check them out. That's probably Mission Accomplished anyways.

DOUBLE NICKLES ON THE DIME, M$%^$R F*#^@R

I so completely respect what the Minutemen were doing, but I heretically prefer their later incarnation as fIREHOSE.