[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

I need a new book

rajncajn

1491. What America was like pre-Columbus. Many interesting thoughts. I did not know, for instance, that no one knows where corn originated. Also the use of fire by native Americans as a tool for agriculture.

if you like that one read " Colombian Exchange" and "Indian Givers" both are great...

• Replies 54
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Stephen Hunter books

These books are really good. I'd start with Point of Impact or Dirty White Boys. Also, most of these can be found in your local used book store or library. No sense in spending full price unless it's a brand new book.

I second these as some good, Clancy-esque fiction. The equivalent of a good popcorn flick. Fairly quick reads but interesting and not over-done with the suspense stuff.

If you want to read about vampires, but not a teenage romance novel :wacko: check out the "Tru Blood" books.

Anything by Anne Rice has got to be better than that trash (Twilight). My wife told me yesterday that my 9yo said some of the other girls in her class are reading the series. :D Color me old fashioned, but there's no way I would even consider letting my 9yo read something rated for teens & up. She might watch a movie, but not before me or the wife saw it first & both approve. We had reservations about her reading the Narnia series.

Edited by rajncajn

• 3 months later...
You're talking the Child/Preston books. Alone or as a team they are very good writers with interesting books. Very enjoyable.

rajn'... have you tried any of the James Rollins books?

On your recommendation I bought The Oracle today. I had the intent of reading it at the beach, but the kids kept me busy. By the looks & what little I breezed through, it looks right up my alley. :wacko:

1491. What America was like pre-Columbus. Many interesting thoughts. I did not know, for instance, that no one knows where corn originated. Also the use of fire by native Americans as a tool for agriculture.

Read Guns, Germs, and Steel, Jared Diamond seems to have a good handle on where corn came from.

Sf - The Memory of Whiteness and The Years of Rice and Salt by Kim Stanley Robinson both get thumbs up from me. TMW is absolutely brilliant and original IMO; YoRS is a bit less impressive but a pretty intriguing alt-history type thing.

If you like your writing with a touch of Hemingway but better, check out some of Jim Harrison's novella collections (he's the guy who wrote Legends of the Fall) or Norman MacLean's A River Runs Through and Other Stories

On your recommendation I bought The Oracle today. I had the intent of reading it at the beach, but the kids kept me busy. By the looks & what little I breezed through, it looks right up my alley. :wacko:

I just finished Map of Bones and am starting Black Order. I started with The Judas Strain and worked back to the beginning.

The Sigma series:

Sandstorm

Map of Bones

Black Order

The Judas Strain

The Last Oracle

The Doomsday Key

I really enjoy his stuff so far.

I just finished Map of Bones and am starting Black Order. I started with The Judas Strain and worked back to the beginning.

The Sigma series:

Sandstorm

Map of Bones

Black Order

The Judas Strain

The Last Oracle

The Doomsday Key

I nearly bought Sandstorm instead. Guess I'll have to do the same & jump back after reading Black Order.

You won't be disappointed, I recommend starting with Sandstorm because they do develop character plots over all the books so reading them in order will help.

Anything by Tom Clancy

the Dune series by Frank Herbert

Any one fo the W.E.B. Griffith novels. Centered around different branches of the military/police they are GREAT short reads (2-3 hundred pages) and if you are into military history, they center around different aspects of WWII. Like the race for the first A-bomb, birth of the OSS and behind the scenes things in areas like the Philippeans and Argentinia. Gooood stuff.

Anything by Tom Clancy

the Dune series by Frank Herbert

Any one fo the W.E.B. Griffith novels. Centered around different branches of the military/police they are GREAT short reads (2-3 hundred pages) and if you are into military history, they center around different aspects of WWII. Like the race for the first A-bomb, birth of the OSS and behind the scenes things in areas like the Philippeans and Argentinia. Gooood stuff.

:wacko:

It's not in paperback yet but if you have a local used book store (that's where I found mine) you might find it.

No Angel by Jay Dobyns

It's about an ATF Agent (decent UofA WR back in the day) that infiltrated the Hells Angels in Arizona.

The Sigma series:

Sandstorm

Map of Bones

Black Order

The Judas Strain

The Last Oracle

The Doomsday Key

Ok, as I hate jumping into the middle of a series, I went & exchanged Black Order for Sandstorm. Unfortunately the book still sits unopened. Guess I'll have to wait till the trip home to dive in.

Ok, as I hate jumping into the middle of a series, I went & exchanged Black Order for Sandstorm. Unfortunately the book still sits unopened. Guess I'll have to wait till the trip home to dive in.

So far in Doomsday Key, he's pulling a ton of old characters back into the plot.

• 4 weeks later...
My wife highly recommends Twilight.

I read 3 of them this summer. The writing isn't all that great, but it's OK summer reading. I can certainly see why the teenage girls are gaga over it though.

For my money, if you want to read a good set of vampire stories, Ann Rice's books are the way to go.

I also read The Kite Runner this summer. Very good.

Edited by Czarina