[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Craigs List newbie...how does this work?

TimC

My obsessive compulsive disorder I have and am very comfortable with made me look into gas-powered edgers for my landscaping. I've been doing it by hand and like most things I start doing by hand, I eventually move on to powered equipment. My flower borders must be perfect curves or I am punished by the demon Thor. I found this used one on Craigs List for $65. Do I just e-mail this person and randomly say "Hi, I like yer edger. Can I come pick it up this weekend? I promise not to kill you." Or what?

http://lynchburg.craigslist.org/grd/1098302670.html

Do I just e-mail this person and randomly say "Hi, I like yer edger. Can I come pick it up this weekend? I promise not to kill you." Or what?

Yup, that's pretty much how it works. I sold a futon and a set of lamps on craigslist last week. Both times as the buyer was pulling up the driveway I had the "what if this person's an axe murderer?" thought go through my head. Luckily that wasn't the case.

Emailing someone on craigslist to meet up and buy used equipment = very normal.

My obsessive compulsive disorder I have and am very comfortable with made me look into gas-powered edgers for my landscaping. I've been doing it by hand and like most things I start doing by hand, I eventually move on to powered equipment. My flower borders must be perfect curves or I am punished by the demon Thor.

You = Not so normal :wacko:

Funny, people can't get past the scary nature of dealing with people via Craig's list despite the fact that we've been selling things to one another using the local classifieds forever.

We buy and sell things via Craig's list all the time.

I've also found it to be way more effective (and free, of course) than using the local paper for finding employees.

Funny, people can't get past the scary nature of dealing with people via Craig's list despite the fact that we've been selling things to one another using the local classifieds forever.

We buy and sell things via Craig's list all the time.

I've also found it to be way more effective (and free, of course) than using the local paper for finding employees.

I would imagine finding employees is pretty easy for you since you don't care what they are strung out on, or what they bring on the property. :wacko:

Det, I am painfully shy. People scare me. I would prefer to drop the $65.00 on the side of the road and have him leave the edger without ever meeting him. I don't do well with new people. I have sent him the e-mail and asked we meet somewhere dark and we both come alone. Me with cash and him with an edger...and no tricks.

I've always wanted a billy goat. Who hasn't?

Cost analysis time. I spent over $2,500 for my 54" lawn tractor and I have to do cut the grass all by myself. I could buy like 35 of these if/when they ever ran off. The question is how many times will they run off? I'm guessing I'll get at least 5 good years out of the lawn tractor since I beat it like a woman that talks back. That means that like 7 of 'em could run off a year.

:wacko:

Cost analysis time. I spent over $2,500 for my 54" lawn tractor and I have to do cut the grass all by myself. I could buy like 35 of these if/when they ever ran off. The question is how many times will they run off? I'm guessing I'll get at least 5 good years out of the lawn tractor since I beat it like a woman that talks back. That means that like 7 of 'em could run off a year.

And spain is no longer here. :D

I HATE yardwork. I've told my wife I was going to buy a couple of them and just stake them on 20 ft chains. Every few days you move the stake. :D

I HATE yardwork. I've told my wife I was going to buy a couple of them and just stake them on 20 ft chains. Every few days you move the stake. :wacko:

Good idea right there. However, I may forget to move the stakes and would have a crop circle effect. I don't need UFO people bothering me. I wonder if there is any way to train the billy goats to edge the flower beds? Maybe if I sprinkled M&Ms or anti-freeze or something in a perfectly straight line?

Edited by TimC

Good idea right there. However, I may forget to move the stakes and would have a crop circle effect. I don't need UFO people bothering me. I wonder if there is any way to train the billy goats to edge the flower beds? Maybe if I sprinkled M&Ms or anti-freeze or something in a perfectly straight line?

you could charge admission at that point and make some money...call it the billy goat stimulus plan :wacko:

Then you just douse with gasoline and burn the whole yard. Mowing problem solved! :wacko:

A brand new gas powered trimmer is like $100-125, go to a local atwoods or farm supply store, best bang for your buck.

Don't buy someone else's used junk.

BTW, I second this. Unless you're getting one for like 15-20% of new used small engine stuff is usually not worth the headache.

I HATE yardwork. I've told my wife I was going to buy a couple of them and just stake them on 20 ft chains. Every few days you move the stake. :wacko:

I was thinking about installing turf? I figure I get a decent 40 time and never have to mow. I really don't see the downside. :D