[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Baby has Ear infection

Brentastic

So our 8 month old has an ear infection and the doctor told us that 50-70% of ear infections don't require action (medicine). And I'm all for less medicine, however, everyone else we know who has children says they've always given their ear infected child medicine. Any advice huddlers?

So our 8 month old has an ear infection and the doctor told us that 50-70% of ear infections don't require action (medicine). And I'm all for less medicine, however, everyone else we know who has children says they've always given their ear infected child medicine. Any advice huddlers?

I tend to agree with your friends. I would say always our Doc gives an antibiotic (amoxicillin usually) and then to use motrin and tylenol for the pain.

I'd ride it out a few days and see what happens.....I really don't like the effects that medicine is having nowadays and I'd try to avoid it unless the problem persists, then I'd push for something to be done...

I don't disagree but when it gets worse it can get ugly which I wouldn't want for my 8 month old.

I'm no doc, but 4 kids and a FIL who is a doc have told me this: your doc is correct, many ear infections don't require meds and will clear up over time, it just depends on how long you want to deal with the screaming and seeing you squid in pain. My experience has been that with antibiotics my guys have had relief in 24 hours or less, without meds it is usually a couple of days at least.

Our doctors have always given a 10-day supply of amoxicillan and the results solid within a day.

That being said, some doctors like to err on the side of caution because, if this is your infant's first prescription for an antibiotic, there may be an allergy to which no one is aware. He may just want to see if child can weather the storm naturally and not risk an allergic reaction.

Sucks for you and the baby to have to endear untold more days of pain/screaming, though.

My pediatricians, whom I respect very much, almost never give medications for ear infections. The only exception thus far have been the two times where the infection was on the inner ear, and with those the doc says they treat as they will not run there course naturally as quickly as most ear infections.

A little infant tylenol to help then sleep may be in order, but I would run it through your doctor before administering.

IMO and this is just my opinion I say screw the wait it out advice. Why make a kid prolong pain when a simple prescription can cut down his recovery time. If he has chronic infections then I would say meds every single time could be a problem but an isolated dose of meds here and there isnt going to harm the kid.

Our daughter has had quite a few ear infections. Always got the pink liquid. This last year has been much better. Think she might have had to get it once? From what I understand, but i'm no doctor, the thing is with antiobiotics you don't want to have infections come back again and again and give the medicine. They become immune or whatever. So if it becomes too repetitive, than you have to look at other things like tubes in the ears. But that's way down the road.

Anyways, I'd say get the pink stuff. No sense letting the kid suffer. And there's always a chance of causing real damage if you let an infection go to far right?

Our daughter has had quite a few ear infections. Always got the pink liquid. This last year has been much better. Think she might have had to get it once? From what I understand, but i'm no doctor, the thing is with antiobiotics you don't want to have infections come back again and again and give the medicine. They become immune or whatever. So if it becomes too repetitive, than you have to look at other things like tubes in the ears. But that's way down the road.

Anyways, I'd say get the pink stuff. No sense letting the kid suffer. And there's always a chance of causing real damage if you let an infection go to far right?

They can also change up the meds..There is amox, zithromax, augmentum (sp) ,

Edited by whomper

actually tubes wouldn't be that far down the road, maybe 18 months if they have several infections over those first 18 months.

My 8 year old just had tubes put in again but this time they took out his adenoids as well. Hopefully that does that trick plus his hearing has improved which is awesome.

The newer thinking in peds is that, from the perspective of a society, treating uncomplicated otitis media is not the responsible thing to do.

Most kids can clear the infection without ABX and giving ABX for every bacterial or viral otitis leads to the problem of resistance.

So, from the perspective of being a selfish bastage (which all of us are at heart), get treatment because your child will clear the infection sooner. Also, some rare complications (mastoiditis, meningitis) can also be prevented.

However, if you or a loved one dies or gets super sick from a multi-drug resistant bacterium, remember that decision you made to treat your kid.

Here is a cut and paste from the WebMD page on Ear infection treatment. The full article is longer and goes into potential long term complications and other treatments for repeat ear infections:

Treatment for middle ear infections (acute otitis media) involves home treatment for symptom relief. Antibiotics are prescribed in some cases.

If a child with an ear infection appears very ill, is younger than age 2, or is at risk for complications from infection, the doctor may prescribe antibiotics.

In children age 2 and older with simple ear infections, more options are available. Some doctors prescribe antibiotics for all ear infections because it's hard to tell which ear infections will clear up on their own. Other doctors ask parents to watch their child's symptoms for a couple of days, since more than 80% of ear infections get better without treatment. Antibiotic treatment has only minimal benefits in reducing pain and fever. The cost of medication and possible side effects are factors doctors consider before giving antibiotics. Also, many doctors are concerned about the growing number of bacteria that are developing resistance to antibiotics because of frequent use of antibiotics.

Follow-up exams with a health professional are important to check for persistent infection, fluid behind the eardrum (otitis media with effusion), or repeat infections.

If your child has ongoing ear pain, a fever [101F or higher], or is grumpy or vomiting after 48 hours of treatment, see your health professional.

Children younger than 3 should have a follow-up visit in about 4 weeks, even if they seem well. If fluid behind the eardrum persists for 3 months, the child should have his or her hearing tested.2

Initial treatment

The first treatment of a middle ear infection focuses on relieving pain. The doctor will also assess the child for risk of complications. If your child has an ear infection, does not seem very sick, and is not at risk for complications, your doctor may ask you to watch your child's symptoms for a couple days before deciding whether to give antibiotics.

If your child has an ear infection and appears very ill, is younger than 2, or is at risk for complications from the infection, your doctor may give antibiotics right away.

If your child's condition improves in the first couple of days, treating the symptoms at home may be all that is needed. Up to 80% of all ear infections get better without treatment. Some steps you can take at home to treat ear infection include:

Using pain relievers. Pain relievers such as nonsteroidal anti-inflammatory medicines (such as Advil, Motrin, and Aleve) and acetaminophen (such as Tylenol) can help make your child more comfortable. Giving your child something for pain before bedtime is especially important. Do not give aspirin to anyone younger than 20 because its use has been linked to Reye's syndrome, a serious illness that needs emergency treatment.

Applying heat to the ear, which may help relieve the earache. Use a warm washcloth or a heating pad. Do not allow your child to go to bed with a heating pad, because he or she could get burned. Use a heating pad only if your child is old enough to tell you if it's getting too hot.

Encouraging rest. Encourage your child to rest to let his or her body fight the infection. Arrange for quiet play activities.

Using eardrops. Doctors often prescribe pain-relieving eardrops for earache. Don't use eardrops without a health professional's advice, especially if your child has ear tubes.

The responses seem to be mixed - thanks a lot guys :D

Would love to hear an actual doctor's opinion :wacko:

We only have one. he will be along shortly. Until now trust my answer. I am a part time realtor

actually tubes wouldn't be that far down the road, maybe 18 months if they have several infections over those first 18 months.

My 8 year old just had tubes put in again but this time they took out his adenoids as well. Hopefully that does that trick plus his hearing has improved which is awesome.

My daughter had ear infections all of the time for her first 2 years, July of 07 she had tubes put in and her adenoids removed and has never had another ear infection and she no longer snores. She just went for her checkup last week and both of the tubes have now fallen out, fingers crossed she doesn't have any other problems.

I don't know why anyone would mess around with an ear infection. They tend to hurt like hell and can cause damage if allowed to get a foothold. I lost an ear drum and went thru 3 operations back in the day when they didn't know how to treat the damn things.

Edited by Retrograde assault

The responses seem to be mixed - thanks a lot guys :D

Would love to hear an actual doctor's opinion :wacko:

I'm sorry I didn't reply sooner....long day at work.

I'm okay with your doctor not giving antibiotics at this time, BUT in that scenario close followup in 24-48 hours is absolutely essential. If the infection is viral, your child will improve. If not, it's time to treat with antibiotics. Don't let this problem go on and on.

If that close followup is not assured for your child, it's time for a second opinion.