[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Health and lack of sleep

Flip_Side

Alright so heres the deal....

I've always had a slight case of insomnia, but now that I'm a college kid on the weekends I party and sometimes don't pass out until 4-5 in the morning. I sleep all day and obviously this has put my body on a weird schedule. I usually don't fall asleep on school nights until about 5 am and have to wake up at 9 am for classes. Needless to say I feel like crap and have almost entirely given up working out because I'm afraid I will just passout due to my fatigue.

Anyway...I've been feeling slight tingling and stinging in my chest area and my heart has always skipped a beat every now and then but it does it more now. I had an EKG done a few months before I got on this weird schedule and the results came back fine. Is this stinging in my chest a result of the no-sleep factor or should I be worried and check this out again? I've also been going through a stressful time with college papers and tests and I'm sure the sleep factor doesn't help with the stress either.

I know I need to get back on a regular schedule of sleep but it's a lot harder said than done especially with spring break a week ago and summer coming up soon.

Edited by Flip_Side

Might be a case of what old timers call, "burning the candle at both ends." Cure- Maybe less party, more rest! NO, that can't be right. Carry on!

So partying is causing this stinging in my chest?

Hey Flip......I used to work nights. Seemed like a good thing to do since I had insomnia too.

One way to turn your sleep schedule around is to do this. It's harsh...but usually only takes one time. On one of those "go to bed at 5am, get up at 9am" days.....don't go to bed at all. Force yourself to stay up and carry out your entire day. You should be SO tired by a decent time that night that you'll not only go to bed at the right time, but will sleep through as well.

Can't help you with the stinging thing. I've no idea what that is. :wacko:

College is great.....but these days, that's a lot of money to blow on an education if you go through it all drunk, zombied...or both. Learn how to pace yourself, man. :D

Hey Flip......I used to work nights. Seemed like a good thing to do since I had insomnia too.

One way to turn your sleep schedule around is to do this. It's harsh...but usually only takes one time. On one of those "go to bed at 5am, get up at 9am" days.....don't go to bed at all. Force yourself to stay up and carry out your entire day. You should be SO tired by a decent time that night that you'll not only go to bed at the right time, but will sleep through as well.

Can't help you with the stinging thing. I've no idea what that is. :wacko:

College is great.....but these days, that's a lot of money to blow on an education if you go through it all drunk, zombied...or both. Learn how to pace yourself, man. :D

Done this before and it has worked but I won't be able to on a school day, it's impossible. I won't be able to concentrate and there's no point of even going to be honest......

As far as the college thing goes, I mainly only go out on weekends anyway.

Edited by Flip_Side

The main point of this thread is to find out what this stinging and extra heart beats are, and if it's just caused by a lack of sleep? I've tried googling some stuff but to no avail, maybe Chargerz can help me out.

Edited by Flip_Side

"I only party on the weekends" never works. 2 days of staying up until 5 AM coupled with a hangover will throw off your schedule until at least Wednesday (at least it does for me). You have all summer to get stupid. While school's in, get smart. Get a sleep schedule going, work hard, treat it like a job. It'll give you more incentive to play hard once classes are over and you aced them.

As for the chest pains, if you have health coverage, see your doctor again. If you don't, at least go to the campus health center and talk to them.

I had symptoms somewhat like you're describing a few years ago. Turns out it was acid reflux, not my heart at all. But getting scared and thinking it was a heart problem caused a raised pulse, sweating, etc. What I'm saying is, it may not be all that serious. You won't know until you see a Dr.

Lack of sleep and stress are two known causes of heart arrythmia (irregular heart beat). The chest "stinging" can be caused by a whole list of conditions, but GERD (gastro esophogeal reflux disease) would be at the top of the list. Alcohol consumption can also cause both symptoms.

It looks like you need to 1) make some changes in your lifestyle and 2) see your doctor. A repeat EKG should be done, and then he can order more tests, if needed, from there.

Anyway...I've been feeling slight tingling and stinging in my chest area and my heart has always skipped a beat every now and then but it does it more now. I had an EKG done a few months before I got on this weird schedule and the results came back fine. Is this stinging in my chest a result of the no-sleep factor or should I be worried and check this out again? I've also been going through a stressful time with college papers and tests and I'm sure the sleep factor doesn't help with the stress either.

Funny you write this Flip. I went to a cariologist a couple weeks ago because I was experiencing an arythmia (a missed-beat or fluttering of the ventricle, which cause the heart to beat irregularly and/or give you a heavy sensation in the checst).

My EKG was normal, pulse normal...the doc said I was perfectly normal, except for the off-and-on arythmia. He said it was likely due to stress or diet (cafffeine and/or smoking). He also said getting proper rest was key to ensuring the body be able to handle the daily pressures life puts upon us.

Sounds like you are in the same boat as I. Hope this helps relieve some of your stress....know its nothing dangerous or permanent, and get yourself on a much better lifestyle (Sunday thru Thursday, anyway).

Lack of sleep and stress are two known causes of heart arrythmia (irregular heart beat). The chest "stinging" can be caused by a whole list of conditions, but GERD (gastro esophogeal reflux disease) would be at the top of the list. Alcohol consumption can also cause both symptoms.

It looks like you need to 1) Rub One Out

:wacko: Coffee to keep up will also do a Mexican tap dance on your heart

It looks like you need to 1) make some changes in your lifestyle and 2) see your doctor. A repeat EKG should be done, and then he can order more tests, if needed, from there.

yep, exactly where I was heading with this. I too am an insomniac, and know exactly the twinge you speak of. I was thinking it was GERD related as well, as mine is. Lack of sleep, stress, and beer led to my GERD. My first symptom of GERD was the belching. Do you belch for no reason by chance? I would say, exercise more, drink more water, cut back on the beer, and get more sleep. My EKG came back as normal as well. If you're worried, request a heart monitor. They will hook you up with a pocket heart monitor for 24 hours and then you take it back and they test the results.

yep, exactly where I was heading with this. I too am an insomniac, and know exactly the twinge you speak of. I was thinking it was GERD related as well, as mine is. Lack of sleep, stress, and beer led to my GERD. My first symptom of GERD was the belching. Do you belch for no reason by chance? I would say, exercise more, drink more water, cut back on the beer, and get more sleep. My EKG came back as normal as well. If you're worried, request a heart monitor. They will hook you up with a pocket heart monitor for 24 hours and then you take it back and they test the results.

No, I never burp to be honest. They told me about this 24 hour heart monitor, I just never went through with it. I'm going to try to avoid caffeine and beer for a little and see if I get better results.

I really don't think it's your sleep schedule on the weekends because you sound like every other college kid out there. However, if you're pounding Red Bull and Vodkas while doing lines then I suggest you reevaluate your "party" habits. Hell, we would party non-stop over the weekends and still have healthy sleep schedules.

I would cut back on caffeine, keep hydrated, and start to exercise more. Insomnia sucks - I went for almost a month straight last fall averaging about an hour of sleep a night.

In addition, you're in college - girls are easy at that age so find a hot little thing to work off the stress.

Edited by twiley