[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Jobs -663,000; unemployment 8.5%

wiegie

Rode by the Best Buy this morning with a huge "Now Hiring" sign.

Here in Texas the unemployment rate is 6.5%, or 24% lower than the national average. Within one mile of my office there are about 15 businesses. Four of them have help wanted signs out front. I only know two people who have been laid off due the economy, and both have gotten new jobs within a month of being laid off. I only know one person that I would consider under employed, and he is kind of a strange nut, who I think is pretty happy being under employed.

Here in Texas the unemployment rate is 6.5%, or 24% lower than the national average. Within one mile of my office there are about 15 businesses. Four of them have help wanted signs out front. I only know two people who have been laid off due the economy, and both have gotten new jobs within a month of being laid off. I only know one person that I would consider under employed, and he is kind of a strange nut, who I think is pretty happy being under employed.

You know three and it's been five months. :wacko:

I'm trying to recruit some fellow grad students for summer work. The jobs pay 9k/month. So far there are zero takers.

I saw some stat (6.5%) on TV that said that people over the age of 75 are back in the unemployment lines and looking to get employed again. It was depressing to think of having to work that long (or to hire someone that old).

I'm trying to recruit some fellow grad students for summer work. The jobs pay 9k/month. So far there are zero takers.

If you guys had a surveyor licensed in the state of Louisiana you could probably afford to pay grad students 12k a month.

If you guys had a surveyor licensed in the state of Louisiana you could probably afford to pay grad students 12k a month.

You wouldn't believe some of the stuff I'm hearing down there. XTO has a well on the TX LA line producing $60k/day to the landowner. They are paying outrageous prices for this stuff. Right now I'm looking in different areas with less liability.

You don't wanna go to Madagascar do you?

Right now I'm looking in different areas with less liability.

You don't wanna go to Madagascar do you?

In all honesty, I'm ultra skeptical of you're claims. I had a nice job for you guys that would have ballooned into more work, but apparently you don't have guys registered in Louisiana, despite the fact you live in the tri-state area?

Now you are apparently hiring underlings to make 90K a year why many huddlers donated money to you a little while ago?

Edited by bushwacked

In all honesty, I'm ultra skeptical of you're claims. I had a nice job for you guys that would have ballooned into more work, but apparently you don't have guys registered in Louisiana, despite the fact you live in the tri-state area?

Now you are apparently hiring underlings to make 90K a year why many huddlers donated money to you a little while ago?

ok

I might be wrong, but, if I recall correctly, Polk never asked for anything. We just wanted to send something to make life easier for him and his wife while they were undergoing an extremely serious situation with their newborn daughter.

I might be wrong, but, if I recall correctly, Polk never asked for anything. We just wanted to send something to make life easier for him and his wife while they were undergoing an extremely serious situation with their newborn daughter.

Alright, I probably don't know the whole story.

:wacko: Correct, while clubfoothead was having more money problems with his daughter.

Just to add to this, I read this morning that the "shadow" unemployment rate, which includes people who have had to take part-time because they can't get full-time and those that have given up is at over 15%. Now factor in those that have had pay cuts, forced unpaid furloughs and reduced working weeks and this is a whole lot wider than it looks on the surface.

On top of that, there's canceled 401k matches, disappearing health benefits and other cuts too.

Just to add to this, I read this morning that the "shadow" unemployment rate, which includes people who have had to take part-time because they can't get full-time and those that have given up is at over 15%. Now factor in those that have had pay cuts, forced unpaid furloughs and reduced working weeks and this is a whole lot wider than it looks on the surface.

On top of that, there's canceled 401k matches, disappearing health benefits and other cuts too.

Yeah, I hope the slight uptick in the market this week is a correct forecast of things getting better. I'm afraid it's a false hope though.

Well in my state of South Carolina they are saying on the news that we have one of the highest unemployment rates at 10%.

Let me do the math for everyone - That's 1 out of 10 people.

http://money.cnn.com/2009/03/11/news/econo...sion=2009031110

That's just the job side too. Prices are going up, but not as fast as I think they could be.

The unemployment rate you are talking about is something called "U6". It is at 15.6% right now (which is 6.5% higher than it was a year ago). This is BY FAR the highest this number has been in the 15 years that they have been calculating it.

To give you an idea about how bad things are in Michigan, today was the first really nice day that we have had here so far this year and I was outside doing a bunch of yard-work, One of my neighbors that I pretty much haven't seen since the fall came over and the first thing he said was, "So, I guess the first question to ask you is 'Are you still employed?'". Seems like a light-hearted question until I tell you that the guy two doors down lost his job a few months ago, the guy across the street has living on pins and needles for weeks waiting for the layoffs to reach him; and the guy who asked me the question was out of work for months until he was able to get a part-time job. None of these people are slackers and they are not uneducated either.