[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Anyone else watching the Dave Ramsey economic special tonight?

polksalet

No. I hate to see fools and their money parted.

Mkay. Not really sure what you mean. I'm not watching the show, but I'm a fan of Ramsey. He's not perfect but a lot of people could use some of his influence. People need to act their wage!

Mkay. Not really sure what you mean. I'm not watching the show, but I'm a fan of Ramsey. He's not perfect but a lot of people could use some of his influence. People need to act their wage!

He doesn't know either, its called a conditioned response

He doesn't know either, its called a conditioned response

People pay Ramsey money to hear him speak, buy his books and so on when all they need is succinctly encapsulated in post #3 above.

People pay Ramsey money to hear him speak, buy his books and so on when all they need is succinctly encapsulated in post #3 above.

weird, this was free tonight but I assume you already knew that

That's like saying that Weight Watchers is a scam because people should know if they eat less, they will lose weight.

The 10 bucks his book cost me as more than paid for itself. At about 25 I got out of debt and have never gone back (except for a mortgage). One of the first thing he tells you in his class is that he didn't make any of this stuff up himself, he has just packaged it well. It's basically taking care of money the way your grandparents did. It's simple advice that has a profound impact on the people who listen.

EDIT... Anyway, how did the town hall thing go? I've been working on my new house (that I could afford thanks to Dave's advice) so much that I haven't had a chance to watch much TV.

Edited by Square

I completely respect Dave Ramsay for what he does. His "sales stuff" isn't being pushed down your throat and it's just a way to supplement the good he does. I'm sure he's not making a fortune off it. It sure beats the Fidelity Investment commercials and other investment houses that are nothing but crooks. My 401(k) is with Fidelity Investment and their stupid gay little green arrow sure didn't point me to sell everything before the market tanked and even with taxes and penalties I still would've come out decades ahead. Stupid little green arrow.

Sure, he preaches mostly common sense stuff, but it's what's needed...especially in this day and age. You listen to the voices of the debt-ridden people that call into him and it shocks you into never falling into that trap. I've been debt-free (outside of mortgage) since I crawled my way out after school and people like Dave Ramsay help reinforce why I'll never fall back into high-interest, no asset nutso debt again in my life. I actually want to pay when he comes around next time to show my appreciation for what he does to help. He's not a rip-off artist by any means IMO.

That's like saying that Weight Watchers is a scam because people should know if they eat less, they will lose weight.

Sure, he preaches mostly common sense stuff, but it's what's needed...especially in this day and age. You listen to the voices of the debt-ridden people that call into him and it shocks you into never falling into that trap. I've been debt-free (outside of mortgage) since I crawled my way out after school and people like Dave Ramsay help reinforce why I'll never fall back into high-interest, no asset nutso debt again in my life. I actually want to pay when he comes around next time to show my appreciation for what he does to help. He's not a rip-off artist by any means IMO.

OK, fair enough. I still maintain that anyone with half a brain knows that spending more than you earn (like eating more calories than you burn) is a recipe for problems but I understand that some folks have a problem with figuring it out themselves and therefore Ramsey does provide a benefit.

OK, fair enough. I still maintain that anyone with half a brain knows that spending more than you earn (like eating more calories than you burn) is a recipe for problems but I understand that some folks have a problem with figuring it out themselves and therefore Ramsey does provide a benefit.

You're right Ursa. Problem is most of America is wrong. The reason we're in this mess is because of people trying to buy chit they can't afford.

Sadly, probably the vast majority of people need to be told this stuff.

You're right Ursa. Problem is most of America is wrong. The reason we're in this mess is because of people trying to buy chit they can't afford.

Sadly, probably the vast majority of people need to be told this stuff.

Even more sadly, the vast majority of people, after being told this stuff, will want someone else to provide the quick fix for them, be it a government bailout of credit card debt for economic (equivalent to gastric bypass surgery in non-extreme cases for the overweight).

Much like losing weight and keeping it off, getting out of debt and staying there is a lifestyle change, not a 6 month diet that is unsustainable.

We're not allowed to turn this political....but our own Gubments (all layers) don't seem to mind spending more than they earn. Much more. :wacko:

I can see some instances where he turns people off. His financial advice is very simplistic. But it's usually for a simplistic people. You don't want to get too complicated with the dummies that have gotten themselves into this mess.

Most complaints about him are he recommends the debt snowball. Pay off your lowest balance, then roll that into the next highest, then the next. Of course, it's better to pay off the high interest balances first, but you're dealing with short-sighted, self-rewarding people with very little self-control that need some form of satisfaction quickly and getting rid of one balance performs that for them.

Using Big Country's analogy, it's better to lose a pound a week for these people than going months without results and then all of a sudden dropping 10 pounds. Most will quit before they see that 10 pounds.

When you do the stats, there are a ton of people that are over-consuming and can't afford their own lifestyle. It's not really my issue but I think a lot of the foreclosures (that we are all now involved in) would have been a much smaller deal if more people listened to this common sense type advice.

I think one of my favorite sayings of Dave's is "Normal's broke. Why would I want to be normal?" That and, "most people spend money they don't have, to buy stuff they don't need, to impress people they don't really like".

When you do the stats, there are a ton of people that are over-consuming and can't afford their own lifestyle. It's not really my issue but I think a lot of the foreclosures (that we are all now involved in) would have been a much smaller deal if more people listened to this common sense type advice.

I think one of my favorite sayings of Dave's is "Normal's broke. Why would I want to be normal?" That and, "most people spend money they don't have, to buy stuff they don't need, to impress people they don't really like".

Ramsey quoted an interesting stat last night:

60% of the foreclosures were in 5 states.

50% were in 35 counties.

Edited by KevinL

Ramsey quoted an interesting stat last night:

60% of the foreclosures were in 5 states.

50% were in 35 counties.

That is incredible.

The five states are??? AZ, CA, NV, FL and either OH or MI, I'm guessing?