[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

If I can't take your guns....

Front Row

From now on, remanufacturers of military brass will not be able to buy surplus brass from DOD--actually from Government Liquidators, llc.--the corporation that sells surplus materials for the U.S. government. At least, not in any form recognizable as once-fired brass ammunition.

Now all brass ammunition will have to be shredded, and sold as scrap.

Sneaky isn't he .

:wacko:

The only ammo one needs is his bare hands. If you're not strangling your prey to death with them, then you are a pansy. Or better yet, do what I do and convince the creature to strangle himself and you can be the master.

The government can do with its property as it sees fit. All that is being done here is to cut off a government hand out. I thought you didn't like those?

I agree, what kind of arrogant simpleton would believe the government both belongs to and is accountable to the people. I'll tell you what kind of person, a racist person. The only people who would oppose Obama on any level are racists. There is a special place in hell for racists like them.

The government can do with its property as it sees fit. All that is being done here is to cut off a government hand out. I thought you didn't like those?

You're smarter than that. If this was wasteful spending on on construction contracts you would be up in arms. Shredding the brass when it can be sold as surplus is a waste of tax payer dollars for no reason other than to appease the gun control crowd.

You're smarter than that. If this was wasteful spending on on construction contracts you would be up in arms. Shredding the brass when it can be sold as surplus is a waste of tax payer dollars for no reason other than to appease the gun control crowd.

I'm just being a smart ass. Brass shells can be purchased in the open market, regardless of what the government does with its surplus. To the extent anyone relies on the government for below-market anything they are receiving a government handout. To the extent the commodity sought remains legal and available on the open market then no 2nd Amendment rights have been trampled.

I'm just being a smart ass. Brass shells can be purchased in the open market, regardless of what the government does with its surplus. To the extent anyone relies on the government for below-market anything they are receiving a government handout. To the extent the commodity sought remains legal and available on the open market then no 2nd Amendment rights have been trampled.

I agree no 2nd amendment right has been trampled, or would be trampled if they shredded the brass. I don't think military surplus brass is any cheaper than any other once fired brass, which you can find fairly easily. My point is if the military isn't going to reload (and it isn't) then why shred the brass when they can sell the brass as is for more than they can get it for as scrap, and they don't have to pay to shred it. If they remove the brass from the market it decreases the supply which will increase the price of once fired brass, but I don't see selling the surplus as a handout, as the government is making money off of it, not losing money on it.

I agree no 2nd amendment right has been trampled, or would be trampled if they shredded the brass. I don't think military surplus brass is any cheaper than any other once fired brass, which you can find fairly easily. My point is if the military isn't going to reload (and it isn't) then why shred the brass when they can sell the brass as is for more than they can get it for as scrap, and they don't have to pay to shred it. If they remove the brass from the market it decreases the supply which will increase the price of once fired brass, but I don't see selling the surplus as a handout, as the government is making money off of it, not losing money on it.

My only really point here, and it's fairly weak I'll admit, is that we all suckle at the teet of government in one form or another. Frankly I'd prefer the government put its assets to their highest and best use. Surplus brass shells are a relatively insignificant item relative to no-bid military contracts, sweet heart oil and gas deals handed out by the Department of the Interior, etc. I just get a chuckle because if this relatively insignificant item didn't have to do with guns no one would care or notice. Mix gun issues into any equation - even tangentially - and some folks crap their pants thinking the sky is falling. You, at least, decry all government waste (and that could be the Huddle understatement of the year) so I can't really tease you about this one too bad.

I have a question:

Suppose foreign firms/governments wanted to buy these shells from the government and were willing to pay a higher price than American ammo firms were willing to pay, should the government sell the shells, and if so, to whom?

I have a question:

Suppose foreign firms/governments wanted to buy these shells from the government and were willing to pay a higher price than American ammo firms were willing to pay, should the government sell the shells, and if so, to whom?

Since when has the US government had any qualms about selling guns to anyone? We sell more weapons globally than any other nation in the world.

I have a question:

They should sell it to the highest bidder, though I would imagine once you take into consideration shipping cost, as well as regulations from foreign governments, it would probably be cost prohibitive for a foreign concern to out bid an American firm. The only restriction I would put on it would be you obviously don't want to sell it to enemies of the state, though truth be told brass is the easiest reloading component to find, so it isn't like you would be really hurting them if you denied them they would just get it elsewhere. You can buy brass on-line without having to fill out any paper work for the government right now.

My only really point here, and it's fairly weak I'll admit, is that we all suckle at the teet of government in one form or another. Frankly I'd prefer the government put its assets to their highest and best use. Surplus brass shells are a relatively insignificant item relative to no-bid military contracts, sweet heart oil and gas deals handed out by the Department of the Interior, etc. I just get a chuckle because if this relatively insignificant item didn't have to do with guns no one would care or notice. Mix gun issues into any equation - even tangentially - and some folks crap their pants thinking the sky is falling. You, at least, decry all government waste (and that could be the Huddle understatement of the year) so I can't really tease you about this one too bad.

I guess I don't see how the government selling something at market price is a "handout". especially when it's something they would have to PAY money to otherwise dispose of.

as far as your point about anything gun-related being blown all out of proportion....that is no doubt true to some extent, but you also have to look at it from the opposite angle. why would the administration decide to do something like this? it eliminates a small source of revenue and incurs a new cost, so from that perspective there's no conceivable benefit. the only thing it would accomplish would be to make ammo more expensive and harder to come by. if I'm a gun owner and the administration is doing something for the sole purpose of being a pain in my ass, yeah, I'm going to take that as a pretty clear indication that they are hostile to my interests.