[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Cold Remedies

The Holy Roller

I have been carrying a cold since last Friday. Not enough to keep me from functioning (or going to work) but enough to make me feel it: no appetite, slight temp, runny nose, very tired. Usually a good night's sleep will do it for me but not this time. So what do the Huddler's do for this?

And I'm NOT worried about swine flu as I have consumed enough bacon/pork steaks/ham/chops to have built up considerable immunity. :wacko:

The NyQuil/DayQuil combo works for me. It doesn't make me get over the cold any faster but I'm so f'ed up I don't really care.

Seriously this will cut down your recovery time a great deal. Zinc Lozenges and Zicam nose swabs. Both over the counter.

I really do not like the combination (i.e. acetaminophen/pseudoephedrine/dextromethorphan/guafenisan) products like Nyquil. Most upper respiratory infections are viral and must run their course. Many OTC products can make you feel better though. That being said, I think it's important to know what you're taking and only take what you need for your specific symptoms.

Stuff like vitamin C, echinacea, zinc etc. have never been shown in a scientifically rigorous way to work but if it floats your boat, most of them are pretty innocuous.

Sleep is good for colds too.

Edited by MojoMan

Colds do have to just run their course. But if you need to relieve the symptoms for a while and clear your head to work, I use Alka Seltzer Cold and Cough. (Purple packaging still I think) And hot tea with lemon and honey to keep my throat from drying out and my voice working.

For the flu...Theraflu was a wonder! For those 7 or 8 hours.....I didn't feel like I had the flu AT ALL. But they changed their formula when the FDA ordered everything with pseudoephedrine behind the pharmacy counter to be signed for. They should have left it alone and let us sign for it!

Stupid meth heads ruining it for all of us. :wacko:

Neither tastes all that good. But small sacrifices.....lol.

Feel better hun. MrBunz and I haven't had the flu this year.....but we both had some nasty cold that hung on for 4 weeks.

I use Day/NyQuil, and pseudoephedrine (behind the counter Sudafed - i.e. the good stuff) for the flu/cold with a cough. - or ask for NyQuil D, which has pseudoephedrine, behind the counter (I just recently found out they have this).

For general body ache/fever/runny nose without a cough: tylenol / advil + pseudoephedrine

I also drink OJ like its going out of style for the vitamins and fluids.

Personally, I never had good luck with herbal remedies or the Zinc lozenges, but some people swear by them.

I also drink OJ like its going out of style for the vitamins and fluids.

I love OJ. I drank half a gallon yesterday. The wife is all about natural and said the zinc would be good but also agrees with you all that it just has to run its course. Thanks for the help. I feel better already.

And the kleenex with lotion is worth the price. I never used them before till yesterday. Wow. Someone is a genius!

Just keep an eye on it. 6 weeks ago I thought I had a cold. Gave it a week and still felt bad. Went to the Dr and I had an upper respiratory infection and mild bronchitis. He prescribed an antibiotic and I felt better within a day. But the cough lasted a month. I kept thinking it would just go away. Went back to the Dr and got a steroid shot, strong antibiotic, congestion med, and a coughing pill. It finally knocked everything out.

Seriously this will cut down your recovery time a great deal. Zinc Lozenges and Zicam nose swabs. Both over the counter.

Yup. Zicam is extremely effective if you get it into you within that first few hours of getting "that feeling" in your sinuses.

I'm doing Claritin-D. Yeah you gotta sign for it.

It works great but dry's you up like you swallered a sponge, so the throat gets dry and you cough from that anyway. :wacko: Popping Ricolla like crazy! :D:D Lookin' for better suggs also.

EF:

Zinc and all that other stuff never worked for me. Also some studies have shown it's really useless.

I think you just have to punch threw it, as there is no cure, but there are plenty of companies trying to sell cures that really don't work.

Edited by rocknrobn26