[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Am I wrong for this?

polksalet

I had to quit a guy a few years ago because he would not make his son stop smoking dope on the job. He now hates me for it and trash my name every chance he gets. All I wanted was the potential of not going to jail and losing the chance on licensure for something I wasn't responsible for. Now I had a couple of (former) mentees get thrown in jail for Josh Gordon. They had already told their current boss and he was ok with it, I mean after he told them they are trash and he is ashamed of them. So I found the story online and forwarded it to their boss (who is an extremely close friend of mine) thinking he might need to know that his two top employees were world famous. I just got a text from one of them thanking me for my "little charade" and that they had already told him and that they didn't want it spread around.

Ok, they are the idiots that got busted and did the 12 hours. It is not my fault the newspaper decided to run it on their headline but hey, its a town of 900 people and they don't have much to write about. I also knew that they had told their boss.

I really don't have a problem with people burning their brains out with this stuff but from now on I will not deal with people on a professional level if they are into illegal drugs. I am tired of trying to help people when all they want is dope and will screw me over in a second to maintain their chem situation.

So, am I wrong for this?

Edited by polksalet

I had to quit a guy a few years ago because he would not make his son stop smoking dope on the job. He now hates me for it and trash my name every chance he gets. All I wanted was the potential of not going to jail and losing the chance on licensure for something I wasn't responsible for. Now I had a couple of (former) mentees get thrown in jail for Josh Gordon. They had already told their current boss and he was ok with it, I mean after he told them they are trash and he is ashamed of them. So I found the story online and forwarded it to their boss (who is an extremely close friend of mine) thinking he might need to know that his two top employees were world famous. I just got a text from one of them thanking me for my "little charade" and that they had already told him and that they didn't want it spread around.

Ok, they are the idiots that got busted and did the 12 hours. It is not my fault the newspaper decided to run it on their headline but hey, it's a town of 900 people and they don't have much to write about. I also knew that they had told their boss.

I really don't have a problem with people burning their brains out with this stuff but from now on I will not deal with people on a professional level if they are into illegal drugs. I am tired of trying to help people when all they want is dope and will screw me over in a second to maintain them chem situation.

So, am I wrong for this?

Hell no.

You are certainly well within your rights to not want to deal with potheads at a professional level. However, outing them to their boss...well...that's a pretty fine line you're walking there. He's your close friend you say but actions like yours could call into question your behavior and motivations. All I can say is that I probably wouldn't have done it.

is Josh Gordon really any worse than booze?

I'm very pro pot legalization.

But there is a certain segment of the population who thinks it cool to go to work stoned. It's not. I'm not a fan. I didn't offer a promotion to a guy I like a lot because I know every afternoon he comes back a little less organized and motivated and I can't deal with that crap when I'm trying to make a dolla, yo.

It's an intoxicant... not a lifestyle.

Edited by AtomicCEO

But there is a certain segment of the population who thinks it cool to go to work stoned. It's not. I'm not a fan. I didn't offer a promotion to a guy I like a lot because I know every afternoon he comes back a little less organized and motivated and I can't deal with that crap when I'm trying to make a dolla, yo.

+1

That pretty much says it all right there.

You are certainly well within your rights to not want to deal with potheads at a professional level. However, outing them to their boss...well...that's a pretty fine line you're walking there. He's your close friend you say but actions like yours could call into question your behavior and motivations. All I can say is that I probably wouldn't have done it.

I have to disagree with you here. I'd say close to half of my friends are small business owners. When ever is see one of their employees doing something I wouldn't want mine doing, I let them know. They do the same for me, and I appreciate it. In today's litigious society there is just so much exposure out there, and I appreciate my friends when they help me mitigate that exposure. If we lived in a world where only the individual was punished for their wrong doing, and companies that employ them are not, then I would see no need to inform a person's employer about their less than desirable actions, but that isn't the world we live in. As long as we are going to hold businesses accountable for the actions of their employees, I think anyone that sees an employee of a friend do something wrong, and does not tell them, is doing their friend a grave disservice.

agree.....regulate, tax it, make laws about its use. just like booze.

I have to disagree with you here. I'd say close to half of my friends are small business owners. When ever is see one of their employees doing something I wouldn't want mine doing, I let them know. They do the same for me, and I appreciate it. In today's litigious society there is just so much exposure out there, and I appreciate my friends when they help me mitigate that exposure. If we lived in a world where only the individual was punished for their wrong doing, and companies that employ them are not, then I would see no need to inform a person's employer about their less than desirable actions, but that isn't the world we live in. As long as we are going to hold businesses accountable for the actions of their employees, I think anyone that sees an employee of a friend do something wrong, and does not tell them, is doing their friend a grave disservice.

Like I said, it's a tough call. Certainly if they are doing it on company time, then I'd be upset if someone didn't tell me. On their own time though is a much more gray area.

Like I said, it's a tough call. Certainly if they are doing it on company time, then I'd be upset if someone didn't tell me. On their own time though is a much more gray area.

One of my employees goes out a smokes a joint tonight, safe at home. A week from now he has a wreck in a company vehicle (or for that matter his on vehicle on company business), do you think when they drug test him we are going to be able to determine he was smoking on his on time in a safe environment? All the lawyers are going to care about is that my employee who tested positive for drugs had a wreck, and hurt someone. Even if the guys does it at his house, it increases his employers legal exposure, so I think regardless of when and where, you tell the employer.

Drug use in my line of work is abundant. However, I choose NOT to do so as I am operating lighting equipment along with overhead rigging that, if under the influence of any kind, could be handled/setup wrong and would result in serious injury and or death. It is an unspoken rule to look the other way and deal with it.

One of my employees goes out a smokes a joint tonight, safe at home. A week from now he has a wreck in a company vehicle (or for that matter his on vehicle on company business), do you think when they drug test him we are going to be able to determine he was smoking on his on time in a safe environment? All the lawyers are going to care about is that my employee who tested positive for drugs had a wreck, and hurt someone. Even if the guys does it at his house, it increases his employers legal exposure, so I think regardless of when and where, you tell the employer.

Unfortunately you are right. The responsibility forced on business owners is not fair in my opinion but it exists.

Just a note I am not a smoker of the whacky tobaccy but feel that the laws in place are outdated and ridiculous.

If you had a small business and your two key employees wound up on an online newspaper for being in a drug bust you wouldn't want to know. Is that what you are saying Mr. Chong?

If you had a small business and your two key employees wound up on an online newspaper for being in a drug bust you wouldn't want to know. Is that what you are saying Mr. Chong?

Not to pick nits, but you are not the owner of the company. Also I missed the whole online newspaper part in your original post. I did not realize that the information had been widely disseminated.

Here's what I don't get. Is the guy that you forwarded this link to your previous boss (I do seem to remember that story) and were you really trying to be helpful or to just rub his nose in it?

Not to pick nits, but you are not the owner of the company. Also I missed the whole online newspaper part in your original post. I did not realize that the information had been widely disseminated.

Here's what I don't get. Is the guy that you forwarded this link to your previous boss (I do seem to remember that story) and were you really trying to be helpful or to just rub his nose in it?

Aight, let me summarize this...

The guy who owns the company is a close friend, he is a mentor, and his two sons and daughters are good friends. I am far closer to him than all but one genetic relative. I worked for him for a while doing my internship but had to quit to stay home and take care of my girl after she was born. I would still be working for him if it weren't so far to drive.

His two guys were caught in another town 13 miles away where one of them lived. The cop that caught him is another friend and they were busted 250 feet from dad's house. One of them was a great employee and I took him under my wing. He has a lot of potential but has lapsed back onto Josh Gordon and lots of scrips.

The two guys had already told their boss and I was aware of this. They also knew I was aware of this. I felt the owner should know that his two best employees who are the face of his company had made the internet. Their story was on the front page of the local online newspaper.

Edited by polksalet