[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Job interviews - more casual "dress code?"

BeeR

Totally 2d hand but hearing from people who are interviewing others for jobs (corporate) say not only are most people coming in more semi-casual (eg "business casual" or perhaps khakis and a tie) but generally feel there's no negative impact or feeling from it (ie doesn't hurt their chances for a job at all, which I agree it shouldn't as long as they look "respectable") and in fact even sometimes suggest it to candidates. Wow. In my olden days I wouldn't think of going in anything but a suit and tie, or at very least dress pants and shirt and a tie.

Anyone else seeing/hearing this?

I guess it would depend on the place. If it is a formal atmosphere then certainly suit and tie. If it is a laid back , as far as attire, type of casual place then when in Rome.

A few years ago my boss and I had a business trip in Ohio. We went to Express then Abercrombie and Fitch. The woman at Abercrombie told us no need for suits as they are very casual. At that time my company was suit and tie required . We went all suited up and looked like 2 bankers when we got there

Anyone else seeing/hearing this?

Yes. It's a function of Gen X and Gen Y being different. Doesn't bother me as long as they have clearly made an effort and don't look like a bag of chit. I've had a few people show up looking like they just got done playing football in the parking lot - those folks are doomed before the start.

It depends on the job and the position.

I interview all kinds of people for my law firm. An applicant for a general clerk position could get away with not wearing full business attire for the interview, but I would be impressed if he/she was wearing it.

If a law clerk or paralegal applicant wasn't dressed in full business attire, buh bye.

Better to be overdressed in most situations, particularly when applying for a job, IMO.

I appreciate when people dress up for an interview, but I've hired guys that have come in with jeans and a button down before as superintendents. Of course we are a construction company. Even with hiring PM's most show up in slacks and button down, about 1/2 wear a tie. Again I appreciate it, but it really doesn't factor in to whether or not we are going to hire them. I rarely wear slacks to work myself. About the only time I do is if I have a presentation to give to a board either trying to get hired or, giving them a progress update, and then it depends on the board. That is just our industry though.

Better to be overdressed in most situations, particularly when applying for a job, IMO.

+ agaziilion

Whats worse is whenever I see a schlep at a store/restaurant filling out an application wearing baggy jeans, untied shoes, iPod wires draped around his neck, etc....hello, did you ever think you might get an interview on the spot?

+ agaziilion

Whats worse is whenever I see a schlep at a store/restaurant filling out an application wearing baggy jeans, untied shoes, iPod wires draped around his neck, etc....hello, did you ever think you might get an interview on the spot?

I had a kid show up at the kitchen door looking for a job once wearing board shorts and flip flops. That was it. NO FREAKING SHIRT!

I told him don't even think of stepping inside the door and said he didn't deserve it, but I'd give him some free advice. Put on some effing clothes, maybe a shirt with buttons. Oh, and don't call me "Dude".

Funny thing is, he showed up the next day looking somewhat respectable and tried again. I told him it was too late with me, because I already knew he was stupid enough to go around looking for a job half naked.

I had a kid show up at the kitchen door looking for a job once wearing board shorts and flip flops. That was it. NO FREAKING SHIRT!

I told him don't even think of stepping inside the door and said he didn't deserve it, but I'd give him some free advice. Put on some effing clothes, maybe a shirt with buttons. Oh, and don't call me "Dude".

Funny thing is, he showed up the next day looking somewhat respectable and tried again. I told him it was too late with me, because I already knew he was stupid enough to go around looking for a job half naked.

:wacko:

Well, maybe it was a hot day. Was it hot enough for ya?

I think about the only exception to this rule is showing up with your own miter when interviewing for pope.

I think it depends on the type of job. Business persons need to dress suit and tie.

I don't get that impression at all (anymore); that's my point. Sure it's logical to play it safe that way, but more and more as said above, with "Gen X" (or Y or whatever the flip) becoming more and more in hiring positions with their extra-casual attitudes, it's mattering less and less.

I think it depends on the type of job. Business persons need to dress suit and tie.

I don't get that impression at all (anymore); that's my point. Sure it's logical to play it safe that way, but more and more as said above, with "Gen X" (or Y or whatever the flip) becoming more and more in hiring positions with their extra-casual attitudes, it's mattering less and less.

I think we understand your point. No need to keep stressing it. :wacko: