[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Black harvard prof arrest Fiasco

whomper

Colin Powell is the man I always wanted to see run. That man had the integrity, the smarts, and the strength to lead this country.

Absolutely disagree. Powell knew damn well that the "evidence" he was shown and then presented at the UN was a bunch of BS. He has admitted as much since. That does not in any way demonstrate strength, integrity or smarts.

• Replies 128
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

It would have been far more prudent for him to refrain from commenting, especially considering he knew the man involved.

yep--he certainly "acted stupidly" with his comment

Even assuming that the police did act stupidly (which I think is a pretty big assumption to make), way too much other important sh|t going on in this country right now to choose to make this be an issue right now.

Friends defend officer who arrested black scholar

By DENISE LAVOIE Associated Press Writer The Associated Press

Friday, July 24, 2009 4:36 AM EDT

C

CAMBRIDGE, Mass. (AP) — Supporters say the white policeman who arrested renowned black scholar Henry Louis Gates Jr. in his home is a principled police officer and family man who is being unfairly described as racist.

Friends and fellow officers — black and white — say Sgt. James Crowley, who was hand-picked by a black police commissioner to teach recruits about avoiding racial profiling, is calm and reliable.

"If people are looking for a guy who's abusive or arrogant, they got the wrong guy," said Andy Meyer of Natick, Mass., who has vacationed with Crowley, coached youth sports with him and is his teammate on a men's softball team. "This is not a racist, rogue cop."

Gates accused the 11-year department veteran of being an unyielding, race-baiting authoritarian after Crowley arrested and charged him with disorderly conduct last week.

Crowley confronted Gates in his home after a woman passing by summoned police for a possible burglary. The sergeant said he arrested Gates after the scholar repeatedly accused him of racism and made derogatory remarks about his mother, allegations the professor challenges. Gates has labeled Crowley a "rogue cop," demanded an apology and said he may sue the police department.

President Barack Obama elevated the dispute when he said Wednesday that Cambridge police "acted stupidly" during the encounter. Obama stepped back on Thursday, telling ABC News, "From what I can tell, the sergeant who was involved is an outstanding police officer, but my suspicion is probably that it would have been better if cooler heads had prevailed."

Crowley told a radio station Thursday that Obama went too far.

"I support the president of the United States 110 percent," he told WBZ-AM. "I think he was way off base wading into a local issue without knowing all the facts, as he himself stated before he made that comment."

The sergeant added: "I guess a friend of mine would support my position, too."

Crowley didn't immediately return a phone message left by The Associated Press on Thursday.

Cambridge Police Commissioner Robert Haas, in his first public comments on the arrest, said Thursday that Crowley was a decorated officer who followed procedure. The department is putting together an independent panel to review the arrest, but Haas said he did not think the whole story had been told.

"Sgt. Crowley is a stellar member of this department. I rely on his judgment every day," Haas said. "... I think he basically did the best in the situation that was presented to him."

But Massachusetts Gov. Deval Patrick, once the top civil rights official in the Clinton administration and now, like Obama, the first black to hold his job, labeled the arrest "every black man's nightmare."

The governor told reporters: "You ought to be able to raise your voice in your own house without risk of arrest."

Those who know the 42-year-old Crowley say he is committed to everyday interests like playing softball and coaching his children's youth teams.

"I would give him my daughter to coach in a blink of an eye, and I can't say any stronger opinion than that," said Dan Keefe, a town parks official who knows Crowley from his work coaching youth swim, softball, basketball and baseball teams.

Crowley grew up in Cambridge's Fresh Pond neighborhood and attended the city's racially diverse public schools. Two of his brothers also work for the police department and a third is a Middlesex County deputy sheriff.

For five of the past six years, Crowley has volunteered alongside a black colleague in teaching 60 cadets per year about how to avoid targeting suspects merely because of their race, and how to respond to an array of scenarios they might encounter on the beat. Thomas Fleming, director of the Lowell Police Academy, said Crowley was asked by former Cambridge police Commissioner Ronnie Watson, who is black, to be an instructor.

"I have nothing but the highest respect for him as a police officer. He is very professional and he is a good role model for the young recruits in the police academy," Fleming said.

———

A friend of mine that's a cop had this to say:

[Caveman_Nick's Cop Friend] wants to thank the leader of the free world for taking time to slam a cop for doing his job. The President admits he is biased because Gates is a friend, admits he does not have all of the facts(like the officer has been teaching diversity and profiling in police academies for the last 5 years.) and has the audacity to call the police stupid. he was harder on sgt crowley than the government of iran.

For my part, I am not a fan of police overstepping certain bounds, and having the power to arrest someone for speaking is about as out of bounds as I can imagine. But we continue to allow laws like this to stay in place and decline to protect our liberty. The line for acting "Disorderly" and being subject to arrest has moved over time. It's in a dangerous place now, but then that's not the cop's fault.

When I see TV crews interviewing voters and they are openly stating that they voted for President Obama because of the color of his skin, I have a really big problem with that.

African Americans (which I'm assuming you are talking about) vote disproportional Democrat in federal elections regardless of race. Something like 95% of them voted for Kerry.

African Americans (which I'm assuming you are talking about) vote disproportional Democrat in federal elections regardless of race. Something like 95% of them voted for Kerry.

Yes. And as also was pointed out, I am sure there are interviews with non-African Americans who did not vote for the President due to the color of his skin. This sickens me as well.

It would have been far more prudent for him to refrain from commenting, especially considering he knew the man involved.
Exactly. He was set a trap and he fell right into it. He shouldn't be commenting on anything like this.

that seems pretty obvious. it must be that wonderful "judgment" of his we all fell so in love with during the campaign.

and notice how he sounded when he's asked a question that deviates from the poltical script his handlers put in front of him? kinda like someone who would chose to go to jeremiah wright's church for 20 years. immediately jumping to the "racial" conclusion despite, admittedly, not having the faintest idea what actually happened.

not quite. 88% for kerry (11% for bush), compared with 96% for obama (3% for mccain). at least according to the exit polls available at cnn.com.

Yes. And as also was pointed out, I am sure there are interviews with non-African Americans who did not vote for the President due to the color of his skin. This sickens me as well.

Sure, but to strongly insinuate that the racial divide was somehow unique to determining the president to this particular election is pretty disingenuous.

Their stories are so far apart I hope witnesses can get the truth.

Regardless handcuffing an old man with a cane is pretty stupid.

:wacko: He is 59

Obama's best strategy at this point is to come out himself - personally - and say he flapped his mouth without engaging his brain. Everyone does it sometimes and he needs to hold his hand up, take his lumps and move on. It will be forgiven and forgotten soon enough (other than by the morans on right wing radio but they are irrelevant) as long as he takes the sting out of it. Attempting to "clarify" or argue the point simply drags him into a quicksand that is easily avoidable.

and so is not listening to a cop. just do it, you can complain later.

He was in his own house.

How many threads here do we talk about popping unwelcome intruders into houses with your guns? Are any of these same people with their pro-self-defense positions going to lock yourself out of your home, break back inside somehow and then stand there while a cop challenges your right to be present in your own home after providing identification?

I don't know what it's like to be a black man in America. None of the rest of you commenting have an idea of what it's like to be a black man in America. Not that that automatically makes Dr. Gates correct in his behavior or the Cambridge cop from being automatically wrong, but we have a fairly long and significant history dealing with these kinds of incidents.

If he was a 59-yr old white man seen trying to break down a door to his home, would the police have been called to an affluent suburban neighborhood in an area with a long and sordid racial divide?

The cop is right in that the President should not have commented on what is a very local matter involving a friend of his, however make no mistake that the police created this issue by making their decision to arrest Gates, not the other way around. They didn't even charge him with a crime, which says to me that the arresting officer was more interested in using his power than anything else.