[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Black harvard prof arrest Fiasco

whomper

• Replies 128
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Ability to admit a mistake is a refreshing change. At least this one didn't cost tens of thousands of lives and hundreds of billions.

seriously, does that defense never get old??? because going back any further in history wouldn't lead to finding second guesses or the re-scripting of a whole mess political decisions. :wacko:

Edited by millerx

Black and Hispanic people do have to go through that all the time. He's stating the facts, you're saying he called the cop racist. The fact that you are interpreting it that way does not mean that it happened.

There's no minimum wage or racism in Merica.

Obama invites Crowley and Gates to the white house for a beer. Pretty cool IMO.

Lite beer or dark beer? See, we're racist in almost everything?

None of the rest of you commenting have an idea of what it's like to be a black man in America.

The NAACP is the most racist organization in America and the President supports that also.

FWIW, I've been ignoring news et. al this weekend (moving sucks) but since Atomic saw fit to drag me into it, I pretty much agree with yo mama on the whole thing. I think the arrest was about a cop getting pizzed because he wasn't bowed down to and groveled after.

And the obamessiah should have kept his mouth shut over something he obviously knew precious little about.

FWIW, I've been ignoring news et. al this weekend (moving sucks) but since Atomic saw fit to drag me into it, I pretty much agree with yo mama on the whole thing. I think the arrest was about a cop getting pizzed because he wasn't bowed down to and groveled after.

And the obamessiah should have kept his mouth shut over something he obviously knew precious little about.

So what you're saying is that you agree with Obama.

Is beer day today? Cool, I need to be more racist and maybe I'll get invited for a beer with the Pres. It's almost like a reward for both sides being racist.

Heck, the black professor hates whites and the white cop hates blacks....is this even a surprise to anyone?

Is beer day today? Cool, I need to be more racist and maybe I'll get invited for a beer with the Pres. It's almost like a reward for both sides being racist.

Heck, the black professor hates whites and the white cop hates blacks....is this even a surprise to anyone?

The surprise is going to be that they're going to be drinking warm Colt 45.

This comment is simply uninformed.

uninformed or reality? We know for a fact the professor hates whites. I am not sure about the cop, but it is possible that he hates blacks.

What facts are you using to come up with that? Gates is married to a white woman for starters. I don't recall reading anything that would even suggest that he hates white people. The cop was responsible for training on racial profiling, tried to save Reggie Lewis' life and several people, both white and black, have come out to speak on his character.

What facts are you using to come up with that? Gates is married to a white woman for starters. I don't recall reading anything that would even suggest that he hates white people. The cop was responsible for training on racial profiling, tried to save Reggie Lewis' life and several people, both white and black, have come out to speak on his character.

Of course he is - that means he get's to F whitey all the time. :wacko:

This should help things along

Boston officer's apparent racial slur may get him firedStory Highlights

Police officer sends mass e-mail criticizing Harvard professor Henry Louis Gates Jr.

Officer Justin Barrett uses phrase "jungle monkey" four times in e-mail

Barrett issues apology, says his friends are diverse and he's not a racist

Police commissioner suspends Barrett pending termination hearing

(CNN) -- A Boston police officer who sent a mass e-mail referring to Harvard professor Henry Louis Gates Jr. as a "banana-eating jungle monkey" has apologized, saying he's not a racist.

Boston police officer Justin Barrett apologizes for the e-mail he sent about the Harvard professor.

1 of 2 Officer Justin Barrett told a Boston television station on Wednesday night that he was sorry for the e-mail.

"I regret that I used such words," Barrett told CNN affiliate WCVB-TV. "I have so many friends of every type of culture and race you can name. I am not a racist."

Barrett was placed on administrative leave after the e-mail surfaced, and he might lose his job as a result.

Barrett, 36, who is also an active member of the National Guard, sent off a fiery e-mail to some fellow Guard members -- as well as The Boston Globe -- in which he vented about a July 22 Globe column about Gates' controversial arrest. Watch Barrett apologize »

Gates, a top African-American scholar, was arrested on July 16 and accused of disorderly conduct after police responded to a report of a possible burglary at his Cambridge home. The charge later was dropped. The incident sparked a debate about racial profiling and police procedures.

Globe columnist Yvonne Abraham supported Gates' actions, asking readers, "Would you stand for this kind of treatment, in your own home, by a police officer who by now clearly has no right to be there?"

Black in America »

In Barrett's e-mail, which was posted on a Boston television station's Web site, he declared that if he had "been the officer he verbally assaulted like a banana-eating jungle monkey, I would have sprayed him in the face with OC (oleoresin capsicum, or pepper spray) deserving of his belligerent non-compliance."

Barrett used the "jungle monkey" phrase four times, three times referring to Gates and once referring to Abraham's writing as "jungle monkey gibberish."

He also declared that he was "not a racist but I am prejudice [sic] towards people who are stupid and pretend to stand up and preach for something they say is freedom but it is merely attention because you do not get enough of it in your little fear-dwelling circle of on-the-bandwagon followers."

Barrett's comments were taken out of context, said his attorney, Peter Marano.

"Officer Barrett did not call professor Gates a jungle monkey or malign him racially," Marano said. "He said his behavior was like that of one. It was a characterization of the actions of that man."

According to a statement from Boston police, Commissioner Edward Davis took action immediately on learning of Barrett's remarks, stripping the officer of his gun and badge.

Barrett is "on administrative leave, pending the outcome of a termination hearing."

CNN has been unable to reach Barrett for comment.

Davis wants Barrett, a two-year member of the Boston police, fired, a source close to the investigation said. But he will continue to be paid while on leave, and no date has been set for his termination hearing

That email was probably ill-conceived. I'm surprised a 36 year old was dumb enough to do something like that, but it's the police, so they've probably only had email a few years.

It amazes me what people put out there on the internet sometimes. I have a friend on facebook make her daily statement "Does anyone know a good divorce lawyer" People responded if she was serious or not and she said "yes none of his friends are on here" Then one of his friends responded "Not entirely true"

It amazes me what people put out there on the internet sometimes. I have a friend on facebook make her daily statement "Does anyone know a good divorce lawyer" People responded if she was serious or not and she said "yes none of his friends are on here" Then one of his friends responded "Not entirely true"

Yeah, or like Irish always bragging about his secret anti-American terrorist group. I'm surprised the feds haven't scooped him up yet.

Yeah, or like Irish always bragging about his secret anti-American terrorist group. I'm surprised the feds haven't scooped him up yet.

The feds won't bother with irip - they know he's never had an original thought in his life and couldn't wipe his arse without someone to tell him how.