[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Vick's hometown gets ready for "M Vick Day"

BeeR

I can see giving the guy a chance to play again...I think Goodell made the right call in leaving it up to each individual team on whether they want to bear the potential PR consequences....

but holding a "Community Day" for a convicted felon? :wacko: Tells me the community is likely made of many of his peers.

Um...because they are having a celebration/welcome home party for a guy that just spent two years in prison?

What town/city does that? :wacko:

NEWPORT NEWS, Va. (AP) — Community organizers in Michael Vick's (FSY) Virginia hometown are preparing a "celebration" for the former NFL quarterback.

Andrew Shannon, who is president of the Southern Christian Leadership Conference chapter in Vick's hometown of Newport News, says the event is scheduled for Aug. 8.

Hampton Roads is made up of numerous cities: Newport News, Hampton, Norfolk, Portsmouth, Chesapeake, Suffolk, Va Beach etc.

I am just saying don't rag on an entire area for what one city does. Actually its just probably a small group.

Curious. Does anyone else think this would be a good PR move for Vick?

Seriously, I think it would do him much better to thankfully and respectfully decline the invitation, celebration, whatever you want to call it...

Just stay out of the spotlight and media until you have had a chance to join a team.

I can see giving the guy a chance to play again...I think Goodell made the right call in leaving it up to each individual team on whether they want to bear the potential PR consequences....

but holding a "Community Day" for a convicted felon? :wacko: Tells me the community is likely made of many of his peers.

I agree.

You guys need to stop busting on Vick so bad. He did his time. Paid his debt. Let it go. Pay your tribute to Michael Jackson and leave the dude alone.

He didn't do anything for killing the dogs. I keep hearing people saying this but you are wrong. The state didn't have him do any time. If he was paroled he won't finishing paying until he finishes with that.

A welcome home for a convict doesn't seem like a good idea for his sake. He should keep a low profile for awhile.

NEWPORT NEWS, Va. (AP) — Community organizers in Michael Vick's (FSY) Virginia hometown are preparing a "celebration" for the former NFL quarterback.

Andrew Shannon, who is president of the Southern Christian Leadership Conference chapter in Vick's hometown of Newport News, says the event is scheduled for Aug. 8.

Hampton Roads is made up of numerous cities: Newport News, Hampton, Norfolk, Portsmouth, Chesapeake, Suffolk, Va Beach etc.

I am just saying don't rag on an entire area for what one city does. Actually its just probably a small group.

thank you for not listing my town :wacko:

Vick needs to just spend some time on the golf course looking for the real dog killers. :wacko:

Question: Why does getting out of jail suddenly make someone worthy of a second chance? We have huge mandatory neighborhood meetings when a convicted sex offender moves in nearby... we don't just say, "Hey they've done their time, so leave them alone now."

I'm not saying that NOBODY deserves a second chance. But it should hardly be automatic that EVERYONE who gets out of prison should be able to act as if its all in the past. Actions have consequences. And sometimes those consequences haunt you for the rest of your life.

Vick needs to just spend some time on the golf course looking for the real dog killers. :D

Question: Why does getting out of jail suddenly make someone worthy of a second chance? We have huge mandatory neighborhood meetings when a convicted sex offender moves in nearby... we don't just say, "Hey they've done their time, so leave them alone now."

I'm not saying that NOBODY deserves a second chance. But it should hardly be automatic that EVERYONE who gets out of prison should be able to act as if its all in the past. Actions have consequences. And sometimes those consequences haunt you for the rest of your life.

On the one hand, it doesn't (make someone worthy of a second chance). On the other, IIRC crimes of a sexual nature typically involve a pathos of some kind - that person is likely to do it again. I would doubt that's the case here. :wacko:

Perhaps dogfighting isn't really considered a serious crime to the people in that community because of cultural differences.

You know, kinda like how Rush Limbaugh's trafficking of heroin pills isn't considered a serious crime to a lot of the people who are now railing on Vick.

People are funny sometimes.

On the one hand, it doesn't (make someone worthy of a second chance). On the other, IIRC crimes of a sexual nature typically involve a pathos of some kind - that person is likely to do it again. I would doubt that's the case here. :wacko:

Could be just me, but someone that gets pure enjoyment out of a sport that involves killing dogs for monetary gain, as well as stealing family pets to train said animals, has some sort of criminal/psychological disorder.

Could be just me, but someone that gets pure enjoyment out of a sport that involves killing dogs for monetary gain, as well as stealing family pets to train said animals, has some sort of criminal/psychological disorder.

do horse trainers? jockeys? zoo keepers?

Perhaps dogfighting isn't really considered a serious crime to the people in that community because of cultural differences.

You know, kinda like how Rush Limbaugh's trafficking of heroin pills isn't considered a serious crime to a lot of the people who are now railing on Vick.

People are funny sometimes.

Whoa whoa whoa. No need to bring in the "cast the first stone" Jesus hippie psychobabble.