[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Lions' Smith Adding Power To His Game

3xcrazy

Anyone have any confidence in him to post decent fantasy numbers

RB Credits Running Hills For Giving Him More Explosion

Detroit Lions running back Kevin Smith has looked very good in camp, particularly with his lower-body power. It's shown up when he runs the ball, when he goes through individual drills and even when he's pass protecting against blitzing linebackers in a one-on-one drill. "I ran the hills a lot more in the off-season. I wanted more lower-body explosion. I have to break more arm tackles - I left a lot of yards out there last season," Smith said. While Aveion Cason is the most experienced pass protector of the backs, Smith is quickly showing that he's the most effective. He has been solid in attacking and engaging the linebacker with power - without lunging and losing his leverage. And Smith wants to carry that attitude into his running game as well. "I want to be more like DeAngelo Williams in Carolina, with those short, powerful bursts that break tackles," Smith said. (MLive.com)

With the power-running scheme new OC Scott Linehan is installing this season, the fact that Smith added lower-body power is a very good thing. Linehan has a history of working his lead backs pretty hard, so it would come as little surprise if he lived up to his ADP of 3.12. He should be a reliable fantasy RB2 option this season.

Thats what I'm saying. No way do I go near a Lions RB.

:wacko: I hope our owners agree. Look at least year's stats and keep in mind his carries will go up and the OL should be at least a LITTLE better - certainly no worse (could it have been?). And they added a quality blocking TE.

:wacko: I hope our owners agree. Look at least year's stats and keep in mind his carries will go up and the OL should be at least a LITTLE better - certainly no worse (could it have been?). And they added a quality blocking TE.

The coaching was non-existent last year. The OL should be better this year. Smith will provide excellent value.

I let Pierre Thomas go, way overpaying IMO for a top LB because of my confidence in Kevin Smith. I think his PPR value could very easily put him within the top 10 this year.

Well, he rushed for 978 yards (4.1 per carry) and 8 TDs, and he caught 39 balls for another 286 yards.

I expect his numbers to improve this year. I'd pick him up for the right price.

I'm just hoping that they'll be "no way do I draft Kevin Smith" owners in my leagues, but I doubt it.

:wacko: