[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Ted Kennedy died

whomper

Sen. Ted Kennedy Dies at 77By GLEN JOHNSON, AP

(Aug. 26) - Sen. Edward M. Kennedy, the liberal lion of the Senate and haunted bearer of the Camelot torch after two of his brothers fell to assassins' bullets, has died at his home in Hyannis Port after battling a brain tumor. He was 77.

for a little bit it seemed like he was going to make it. his puffy red faced shouting will be easy to replace - his drive to help the poor and better healthcare will be a bit harder to replace.

+1. Flawed? Sure. Conscience? Definitely.

RIP, Ted.

Oh yeah, ask Mary Jo's family about his conscience. I hope she is beyotch slapping him already.

And here I thought that perch would be the first one with a Chappaquiddick reset.

And here I thought that perch would be the first one with a Chappaquiddick reset.

But my reference wasn't politically motivated, his would have been. If Obama died tomorrow, I would pray that he rests in peace. But I can't stand when anybody is able to use their societal status to get away with something (especially something as heinous as what he got away with).

Edited by geeteebee

Are the people who cried when obama was elected crying now? All this and Jacko too...sniffle

Don't get me wrong, I'm sorry for his friends and family, but he got where he did and people only paid any attention to him because he was (cue dramatic music) a Kennedy.

That's why I was just staying away from this thread. I am surprised that GTB was the first to reference it. FWIW, I don't think Ted and Mary Jo are anywhere near each other either.

Actually if he asked God for forgiveness, then they are right beside each other. :wacko:

I was purposefully staying out of the thread. I appreciate the whole Kennedy family and how many of them have dedicated their lives to public service. While I do not agree with their agendas (though I'd probably come closer to agreeing with JFK than Clinton, Bush, and Obama) I appreciate the love they posses for our country and public service. I will tell you that NBC made me want to puke earlier,referring to Chappaquiddick as adversity Ted Kennedy had to overcome. Mary Jo deserves to be remembered as more than 'adversity that may have stood in the way of the presidency.

Are the people who cried when obama was elected crying now? All this and Jacko too...sniffle

Don't get me wrong, I'm sorry for his friends and family, but he got where he did and people only paid any attention to him because he was (cue dramatic music) a Kennedy.

The crash aside - are you suggesting that his longevity in the senate had nothing to do with his accomplishments in the senate and his desire to help others. I am too young to remember the crash - but I know during my life he fought to help a lot of people. This does nothing to undo what he is accused of - but to say he was only 'a name' is a stretch.

The crash aside - are you suggesting that his longevity in the senate had nothing to do with his accomplishments in the senate and his desire to help others. I am too young to remember the crash - but I know during my life he fought to help a lot of people. This does nothing to undo what he is accused of - but to say he was only 'a name' is a stretch.

How much good one thinks he has done is really in the eye of the beholder. I think his policy agenda did a great deal to hurt the nation, and most conservatives would agree. To most people outside of Mass. he was a drunken red faced elite caricature. I'm sure most liberals think he did a lot of good. The crash aside, how much good or bad he did is greatly dependent on your perspective. Regardless of perspective though, you have to admire is passion and dedication in what he believed, and I think though misguided he really did believe in what he was pushing, which is more than I can say for Obama.

How much good one thinks he has done is really in the eye of the beholder.

As is the case for most politicians - prespective and such. To suggest that the only reason he had his job was because he was a Kennedy is laughable though. That was more or less the point I am trying to make. Maybe he got his job because of who he was initially - but so too is the case with most politicians. It takes money and influance to get elected. Like him or hate him - he was his own man.

Edited by Duchess Jack

Politics aside, I know he supposedly had a big heart and championed the causes of the downtrodden, yadda yadda, I've just never been able to get past what happened with the drowning and then his ability to be elected and reelected over and over to the Senate. I get that the Kennedys are beloved, especially in Massachusetts, but what he did is not too far removed from murder.