[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Schoolroom scenario

Czarina

I can tell you if a teacher did that to my child, I'd be glad it was a man because I'd cut his heart out and piss in the hole.

+ 1,000,000

I have a child with special needs (autistic/ Aspergers syndrome). To publicly humiliate a child like that when there may be other things going on (especially with a new kid in town that may just be trying to make friends) is one of the stupidest ideas I have ever heard.

• Replies 69
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Then that is even more troubling . . . :wacko:

i teach my son to be respectful and to listen. you may not. at 10y old, he should know how to behave in a class room. get some balls and do what has to be done. i dont coddle. thats whats wrong with this society. we need to go back a few decades.

:edit.....i did not see your post regarding your son.

Edited by dmarc117

I teach 10 year olds, 4th grade.

That "joke" was foolish and idiotic. That teacher was acting like a 10 year old him/her self. I would NEVER DREAM of doing something like that do one of my students, ever.

That incident will be something that child will NEVER forget.

There were SO MANY better ways to have taught that child the true value of being respectful to others.

then the teacher did his job.

There is really just too much we don't know here. Had the parents been notified that the kid is a trouble maker? Had they attempted to do anything? If the parents were notified and the child's behavior hadn't changed, then then I don't think what the teacher did is wrong. Should the teacher have continued to allow the child to disrupt everyone's learning experience? What should have been done?

There is really just too much we don't know here. Had the parents been notified that the kid is a trouble maker? Had they attempted to do anything? If the parents were notified and the child's behavior hadn't changed, then then I don't think what the teacher did is wrong. Should the teacher have continued to allow the child to disrupt everyone's learning experience? What should have been done?

You're right, there's a lot we don't know. But I can't imagine any answers to the questions above that would justify doing that to a 10 y/o boy.

You're right, there's a lot we don't know. But I can't imagine any answers to the questions above that would justify doing that to a 10 y/o boy.

this and any illness shoudlve been put in the original post. if the post is missing these important facts, its useless.

Completely agree.

the kid is only 10 years old. This is NOT a high school student here. 3rd or 4th grader?

Completely unneccesary and ridiculous . . .

Before giving an opinion I'd have to know if the parents had been contacted about the student's poor behavior, and if they had done anything to try to rectify it? Obviously that should be the first thing the teacher should have done. Now if the parents didn't do anything to correct the behavior or the behavior had not at least improved, then I don't have a real problem with what the teacher did. Sure it would be nice if he stepped in before the kid was reduced to tears, but the kid will remember it.

i really don't see this as such a big deal. 10 is old enough to put things together in terms of cause/impact. having him experience what he's causing is a great way to put him in the shoes of others. of course, the teacher needs to handle the follow-up in a caring way, in a teaching way, and not in some kind of a vindictive way. it would be great at the end if the entire class had a discussion about the experience and what was learned.

go back to the blue eyes/brown eyes class experiment to teach kids about racism. that changed those kids FOR LIFE and the instructor was their hero. that was active discrimination over the course of weeks and i think the kids were younger.

and teachers can't be afraid to take some risks in the event that a kid may bring in a gun and go off. if they fear this, they become robots.

I stopped reading about here. No disrespect, but the teacher just made it acceptable for the rest of the class to tease and pick on him.

In addition, for whatever reason, this kid hasn't been able to demonstrate insight into his behavior and the belief is that this action will cause him to suddenly understand what he is doing and think before he acts? Really?

And Ton, the experiment you brought up was with two separate groups, not an entire class and teacher against one student.

Finally, it is a basic behavioral principle--if you want to change behavior, you provide reinforcement for the behavior you wish to see and some type of consequence for the behavior you wish to extinguish. The more reinforcement one provides, the more likely behavioral change will occur.

I think it has become too easy to pass judgment on situations where people have no real understanding or training.

I have a 4th grade daughter. She is a good kid, but like most at that age, she can sometimes talk too much and not focus strickly on the teacher. If her teacher had made her cry in front of her peers, it would have really wounded her. How can making, even if not attended, any child at that age cry in front of their classmates and friends benefit them. :wacko:

I stopped reading about here. No disrespect, but the teacher just made it acceptable for the rest of the class to tease and pick on him.

In addition, for whatever reason, this kid hasn't been able to demonstrate insight into his behavior and the belief is that this action will cause him to suddenly understand what he is doing and think before he acts? Really?

And Ton, the experiment you brought up was with two separate groups, not an entire class and teacher against one student.

Finally, it is a basic behavioral principle--if you want to change behavior, you provide reinforcement for the behavior you wish to see and some type of consequence for the behavior you wish to extinguish. The more reinforcement one provides, the more likely behavioral change will occur.

I think it has become too easy to pass judgment on situations where people have no real understanding or training.

All kidding aside, in your educated opinion what should be done when a child continues to be disruptive in class, the parents don't care or can't be effective in changing his/her behavior, and the school won't do anything with the kid due to fear of litigation or negative publicity? The teacher doesn't want to keep sending the kid to the office as it is viewed as a weakness by many school administrations for a teacher not to be able to take car of classroom discipline. So what should be done?

All kidding aside, in your educated opinion what should be done when a child continues to be disruptive in class, the parents don't care or can't be effective in changing his/her behavior, and the school won't do anything with the kid due to fear of litigation or negative publicity? The teacher doesn't want to keep sending the kid to the office as it is viewed as a weakness by many school administrations for a teacher not to be able to take car of classroom discipline. So what should be done?

Easy one. Take recess away from the kid....

Easy one. Take recess away from the kid....

I hate this as a solution. I'd be willing to bet that part of the kids issue is that he needs to excercise, otherwise he gets worse. Typically extremely active kids and often times ADD kids are exactly the kids that need there exercise. Now if you were to tell him he can't play with his friends during lunch, but has to walk/run around the playground while they play, that's a different story.

I hate this as a solution. I'd be willing to bet that part of the kids issue is that he needs to excercise, otherwise he gets worse. Typically extremely active kids and often times ADD kids are exactly the kids that need there exercise. Now if you were to tell him he can't play with his friends during lunch, but has to walk/run around the playground while they play, that's a different story.

yup that would be a better solution.

Honestly, it seems your motivation has less to do with fixing the problem and more to do with feeling like you've done something drastic because this kid apparently deserves something bad to happen to him.

I can't imagine anything being solved by this exercise other than the teacher thinking, "Well, I showed him." Well other than, of course, the fact that this kid will now be the laughing stock of his classroom. Is that the message? That, if pressed, a teacher can always get over on a 10 year old?

Honestly, it seems your motivation has less to do with fixing the problem and more to do with feeling like you've done something drastic because this kid apparently deserves something bad to happen to him.

I can't imagine anything being solved by this exercise other than the teacher thinking, "Well, I showed him." Well other than, of course, the fact that this kid will now be the laughing stock of his classroom. Is that the message? That, if pressed, a teacher can always get over on a 10 year old?

I asked what should be done, and you went on and on about how what was done was wrong. What should have been done?

There are too many potential variables for me to provide a cookie-cutter solution. Czar alluded to ADHD as a possibility. While I believe that ADHD is over diagnosed, I still believe that it is a real disorder. I'm not going to punish a kid who doesn't make enough insulin and I'm not going to punish a kid who has ADHD. There are valid treatment approaches in managing symptoms of ADHD and if this child has this disorder, this is how I would go.

If the child does not have ADHD, but is engaging in these type of behaviors, for any of a variety of reasons he may be seeking out attention. If this is the case, I'd recommend giving the child various responsibilities in the class and providing praise/reinforcement/attention for doing these jobs. Whenever the child raises his hand to be called on (rather than shouting out a response), I would offer him a large compliment, in front of the entire class, at the moment he raises his hand. This provides attention/reinforcement for appropriate behavior, thereby increasing the possibility that this behavior will increase. There are other behavioral interventions that can be utilized as well.

I will say that if the teacher actually did create the scenario that Czar described, how much trust does the child now have for his teacher? At the age of 10, believe it or not, there is an excellent chance that this kid interprets what happened to him as a form of rejection. And if he is starved for attention, I'm betting it's not the first time some important person in his life has done so.