[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Credit Card Scam

muck

1) This is an old warning I received (again) in the email today.

2) It's a good reminder, so I thought I'd pass it along here.

Snopes.com says this IS true. To verify see this site: http://www.snopes.com/crime/warnings/creditcard.asp

This one is pretty slick since they provide YOU with all the information, except the one piece they want.

Note, the callers do not ask for your card number; they already have it... This information is worth reading. By understanding how the VISA & Master Card Telephone Credit Card Scam works, you'll be better prepared to protect yourself.

One of our employees was called on Wednesday from 'VISA', and I was called on Thursday from 'Master Card'..

The scam works like this: Caller: 'This is (name), and I'm calling from the Security and Fraud Department at VISA. My Badge number is 12460. Your card has been flagged for an unusual purchase pattern, and I'm calling to verify. This would be on your VISA card which was issued by (name of bank). Did you purchase an Anti-Telemarketing Device for $497.99 from a Marketing company based in ?'

When you say 'No', the caller continues with, 'Then we will be issuing a credit to your account. This is a company we have been watching and the charges range from $297 to $497, just under the $500 purchase pattern that flags most cards. Before your next statement, the credit will be sent to (gives you your address), is that correct?'

You say 'yes'. The caller continues - 'I will be starting a Fraud investigation. If you have any questions, you should call the 1- 800 number listed on the back of your card (1-800 -VISA) and ask for Security.'

You will need to refer to this Control Number. The caller then gives you a 6 digit number. 'Do you need me to read it again?'

Here's the IMPORTANT part on how the scam works.

The caller then says, 'I need to verify you are in possession of your card'. He'll ask you to 'turn your card over and look for some numbers' There are 7 numbers; the first 4 are part of your card number, the next 3 are the security Numbers that verify you are the possessor of the card. These are the numbers you sometimes use to make Internet purchases to prove you have the card. The caller will ask you to read the 3 numbers to him. After you tell the caller the 3 numbers, he'll say, 'That is correct, I just needed to verify that the card has not been lost or stolen, and that you still have your card Do you have any other questions?' After you say No, the caller then thanks you and states, 'Don't hesitate to call back if you do, and hangs up.

You actually say very little, and they never ask for or tell you the Card number.. But after we were called on Wednesday, we called back within 20 minutes to ask a question.. Are we glad we did! The REAL VISA Security Department told us it was a scam and in the last 15 minutes a new purchase of $497.99 was charged to our card.

Long story - short - we made a real fraud report and closed the VISA account. VISA is reissuing us a new number.

What the scammers want is the 3-digit PIN number on the back of the card Don't give it to them. Instead, tell them you'll call VISA or Master card directly for verification of their conversation. The real VISA told us that they will never ask for anything on the card as they already know the information since they issued the card! If you give the scammers your 3 Digit PIN Number, you think you're receiving a credit. However, by the time you get your statement you'll see charges for purchases you didn't make, and by then it's almost too late and/or more difficult to actually file a fraud report.

What makes this more remarkable is that on Thursday, I got a call from a 'Jason Richardson of Master Card' with a word-for-word repeat of the VISA scam. This time I didn't let him finish. I hung up! We filed a police report, as instructed by VISA. The police said they are taking several of these reports daily! They also urged us to tell everybody we know that this scam is happening.

Please pass this on to all your family, friends and neighbors. By informing each other, we protect each other.

I don't answer the phone unless I recognize the number, works like a charm. If I did answer this call, the first thing I would do is pull up my card account and confirm that the fraudulent charge was there, if it wasn't, I'd hang up and call the 800 number on the card. If the charge was there, I still wouldn't give them any information. I tend to believe that people who fall for these scams deserve it for being so stupid.

I don't answer the phone unless I recognize the number, works like a charm. If I did answer this call, the first thing I would do is pull up my card account and confirm that the fraudulent charge was there, if it wasn't, I'd hang up and call the 800 number on the card. If the charge was there, I still wouldn't give them any information. I tend to believe that people who fall for these scams deserve it for being so stupid.

So, you're not going to explain this sort of thing to your kid(s) when they are old enough to start interacting with the world financially?

So, you're not going to explain this sort of thing to your kid(s) when they are old enough to start interacting with the world financially?

I plan on teaching them about money from a very early age, from savings and credit to the value of hard work, and I'll tell them that 99.9% of calls from 800 numbers or telemarketers are either sales calls or scams and it's best to just hang up.

I plan on teaching them about money from a very early age, from savings and credit to the value of hard work, and I'll tell them that 99.9% of calls from 800 numbers or telemarketers are either sales calls or scams and it's best to just hang up.

It's funny you should say that - When my 7 y/o was 4, I used to hand telemarketer calls to her. She'd just gab and gab, and I wouldn't have to deal with it... :wacko:

Why pick up in the first place? :wacko:

I'm like matt...caller id is the way to go. If I don't recognize the number, if it is important enough, they'll leave a message. I am not a slave to a phone, it is for my use. I was in Dallas at the end of August at my buddy's house for the weekend for our draft. My phone was in the other room and started ringing while we were eating. My buddy's wife started to get up and run around frantically looking for it and I said "OY! Relax, I'll get it when we are done eating." I've watched friends practically fall all over themselves to get to their phone too late...I mean, really? What really annoys me is when I'm running on the treadmill at a Hugh-like pace and the person next to me starts talking on the phone; I am constantly amazed at how people cannot focus for one hour or so at the gym without bringing their phone in.

:stepsoffsoapbox:

It's funny you should say that - When my 7 y/o was 4, I used to hand telemarketer calls to her. She'd just gab and gab, and I wouldn't have to deal with it... :wacko:

The best way to f with them that I've found:

Telemarketer: Hi, I'm John from Adventure Vacations and I have an exciting...

Me: Hi John, what's your last name?

John: Anderson.

Me: And what company are you with?

John: Adventure Vacations

Me: No, I mean the name of your telemarketing firm.

John: Uh, Bizrate Direct.

Me: and your address?

John: 17 Oak Lane, Omaha, NE

Me: Okay, what can I do for you?

John: I have an exciting offer just for you! (Blah blah blah for 4 solid minutes)

Me: Hmm, sounds like a bit of a scam, are you trying to rip me off John?

John: No! We have thousands of satisfied customers! Blah blah blah...

Me: Sorry, could you repeat that? I'm in the bathroom taking a dump.

John: Uh...sure...blah blah blah...

Me: Oh, dear God...

John: Everything okay?

Me: Let me tell you something John. The Homewrecker from Moe's Southwest Grill sounds like a great idea on paper, but whoa Nelly, my ass is on fire right now. The jalapenos were not a good idea. And I couldn't resist the queso, even though I'm lactose intolerant. Oh man, why is it gray? Gray stools are bad news aren't they John? Do you think this is a serious problem?

John: Uh, sorry to hear that...getting back to my offer...

(LOUD farting noise produced by blowing into the crook of my arm)

Me: Oh sweet mother of mercy.

John: Is this a bad time?

Me: No! Sorry about that! Please continue.

John: Well basically it's only $299.99 and all I need is a major credit card to get started!

Me: Oh wow, that's a great deal. Let me just finish up in here and I'll get my wallet. (toilet flushes)

(5 minutes of silence)

Me: Okay, what's up?

John: You were getting your wallet?

Me: For what?

John: Uh, this is Adventure Vacations, remember, the deal we discussed?

Me: Oh shoot! Right! Hold on for just a second!

(5 minutes of silence)

Me: Hello?

John: Yes? Did you get your wallet?

If he hasn't hung up by now I'll eventually tell him I just remembered that I filed for bankruptcy and don't have a cent to my name.

I have had this same thing done to me about 2 months ago. I am a pretty hard one to catch on this kind of crap and they didn't catch me on this one as I operate under a pretty simple plan.

If they call me then I just tell them that I will call them right back. I inform them that I will not deal with or discuss anything based on them calling me. If the call is real then there will be no problem with me calling them back. They will give you mumbo jumbo about calling a different number but I just tell them that the only way that I will deal with them is if they can work with me from a number that is on the back of my card or with my billing statement.

I am sure I was the target of another scam as I got a call telling me that they represent Master Card or Visa, I don't recall which one it was. They said that if I had a balance of more than 2500.00 that they will make sure that my interest rate is lowered. They said that they can get me much better rates then I can get myself and that they were actually working for Master Card / Visa. Once I told them how great that was and that I will take them up on the offer as soon as I call my card issuer, well then there was a million reasons that I had to do it with them. I then said fine just give me the call back and I will hook up with them tomorrow but that ended in them hanging up on me.

Point is pretty easy to understand. No one is going to call for your credit card number that is with your credit card company. That just isn’t going to happen.

I never tell anything to the person on the phone if it's something they should already know.

Like that time I called the Huddle support, and the guy asked me for my password.

I said "Why would you need my password? You shouldn't need my password."

Then the guy said "Oh, never mind... I see that its elwayluvr69".

I was pretty pissed off that some phone geek could read my password, and I sent a nasty PM to DMD that I'm sure he still carries the pain from to this day.

The best way to f with them that I've found:

Me: Hi John, what's your last name?

John: Anderson.

Me: And what company are you with?

John: Adventure Vacations

Me: No, I mean the name of your telemarketing firm.

John: Uh, Bizrate Direct.

Me: and your address?

John: 17 Oak Lane, Omaha, NE

Me: Okay, what can I do for you?

John: I have an exciting offer just for you! (Blah blah blah for 4 solid minutes)

Me: Hmm, sounds like a bit of a scam, are you trying to rip me off John?

John: No! We have thousands of satisfied customers! Blah blah blah...

Me: Sorry, could you repeat that? I'm in the bathroom taking a dump.

John: Uh...sure...blah blah blah...

Me: Oh, dear God...

John: Everything okay?

Me: Let me tell you something John. The Homewrecker from Moe's Southwest Grill sounds like a great idea on paper, but whoa Nelly, my ass is on fire right now. The jalapenos were not a good idea. And I couldn't resist the queso, even though I'm lactose intolerant. Oh man, why is it gray? Gray stools are bad news aren't they John? Do you think this is a serious problem?

John: Uh, sorry to hear that...getting back to my offer...

(LOUD farting noise produced by blowing into the crook of my arm)

Me: Oh sweet mother of mercy.

John: Is this a bad time?

Me: No! Sorry about that! Please continue.

John: Well basically it's only $299.99 and all I need is a major credit card to get started!

Me: Oh wow, that's a great deal. Let me just finish up in here and I'll get my wallet. (toilet flushes)

(5 minutes of silence)

Me: Okay, what's up?

John: You were getting your wallet?

John: Uh, this is Adventure Vacations, remember, the deal we discussed?

Me: Oh shoot! Right! Hold on for just a second!

(5 minutes of silence)

Me: Hello?

John: Yes? Did you get your wallet?

If he hasn't hung up by now I'll eventually tell him I just remembered that I filed for bankruptcy and don't have a cent to my name.

Way too long. Here is how you do it...

Me: Hi John - YOu sound kind of hot. Are you?

Done he will hang up very fast.

Way too long. Here is how you do it...

Me: Hi John - YOu sound kind of hot. Are you?

Done he will hang up very fast.

Or:

Sorry John, my English is very rusty, could you please repeat this in Spanish? I am originally from Bolivia.

Of course not speaking with any kind of accent.

Along with privacy director. Was getting way too many calls from those hiding their identities. They have to identify themselves before the hone rings and they rarely do.

I tried this a while ago (when I actually had a home phone), but my 90 year old grandmother was totally baffled by it and couldn't ever get through to me, so I turned it off. Then I switched 100% cell phone.

You know I got a call from Cox communication last week and the guy went on saying how my contract was going to expire and if I re-upped for 2yrs I would save $x and if not my bill would go up $x....I tried to haggle and give the guy a hard time just for the hel1 of it and then I finally said to him after he again said I needed to do it now...I said "How do I even know you work for Cox?" The number on my called ID(cell) doesn't say Cox...so when Cox raises my bill without giving me proper notice I tell him I am going to call and complain and get the discount he wont give me anyway....but the moral is...just cause they call you doesnt mean they are who they say they are.

edit: oh and he said he would notate on my account that he spoke to me...and I said well how do you know I am me...i could just be a guy that answered Kegs phone...he laughed and said ok good bye.

Edited by keggerz

Like that time I called the Huddle support, and Carl asked me for my password.

I said "Why would you need my password? You shouldn't need my password."

Then Carl said "Oh, never mind... I see that its elwayluvr69".

I was pretty pissed off that Carl could read my password, and I sent a nasty PM to Carl that I'm sure still upsets him up to this day.

:wacko:

I never pick up the phone if I don't recognize the #, but if for some reason I do and know/strongly suspect it's either a scam or some other unwanted ahole, I have a much quicker and IMO more fun way to mess with em......

You know those obnoxiously loud air horns they use at hockey games etc?

:wacko:

PS thx muck. Worth noting.

Edited by BeeR