[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Fricking Comcast

AtomicCEO

I called today to add the RedZone Channel.

"Ok, Mr. CEO we'll add that for you, and just to let you know... there will be a one time $1.99 charge for that change."

"Why?"

"Ummm... because they tell me that's what we need to charge."

"You're charging me extra for the pleasure of giving you more money every month?"

"I...."

"Because if it's that much of a hassle for you, we can just scrap this and I'll go back to my old service."

"... I'll set up a credit back to you for that amount."

"Yeah, thanks."

They are becoming more and more like the phone company every day. At what point can we get more than one option for phone or cable in a community? Do we as a town need to pool our resources and buy back the land lines to form a co-op?

I bet you had to wait on hold for a while to actually speak to a human right?

I was on hold this morning for over 35 minutes with Time Warner.

When she finally came on the line I asked if she could go on hold for 35 minutes and then I would discuss my issue. She said "well I don't want to go on hold for no reason" - so I then said "why is your time more important than mine?" I also said that I promise I will try to teach her something that she does not know so it won't be a total waste but she would not go on hold.

No such thing as service anymore.

That's what they do! Gotta make a buck. Swaller your pride and get RZ!

ETA:

Like the old gambler said...."It's a crooked game but it's the ONLY game in town!"

Edited by rocknrobn26

I think we all know that $2 isn't going to affect my year... but it's like slapping your customers in the face to actually try to charge them to change their service.

Shouldn't blatantly slapping customers in the face cause them cause them to lose customers? Oh wait... no... because it's the only option you have.

I'm down with the Hulu solution unless the big cable and phone companies manage to pay off congress to remove net neutrality. Because I'm sure the first thing they'd kill is any kind of competition to their monopolies.

This was the worst week for Red Zone since I've had it. Too many blowouts. Think Comcast will credit me?

Actually, I disagree. I believe the real value of RZ is late Sunday when most games are over and you still have games being played on RZ. For example, the two games we got at 4pm were Oak/Jets and Cincy/CHI...Due To RZ i got to see most of the Mia/NO 4th quarter. Thank god!

I bet you had to wait on hold for a while to actually speak to a human right?

I was on hold this morning for over 35 minutes with Time Warner.

When she finally came on the line I asked if she could go on hold for 35 minutes and then I would discuss my issue. She said "well I don't want to go on hold for no reason" - so I then said "why is your time more important than mine?" I also said that I promise I will try to teach her something that she does not know so it won't be a total waste but she would not go on hold.

No such thing as service anymore.

Your frustration is justified, but the $30K/year single mom at the other end of the phone was not the one who did the calculation of how many reps the company would have to hire to handle just enough calls so that customers would stay on hold just long enough to not get fed up and cancel their service. If it were up to her, the company would hire twice as many reps, make sure they were trained, and pay them a decent salary to ensure they were competent and customer-focused.

But then your Time Warner bill would be twice what it is now, and you'd cancel.

In other words, the industry (like most these days), is built around lowest price, not best service.

You should call and cancel and then you'll get their best service. I swear every company on the planet is doing it wrong by valuing new customers that use this bait and switch all the time over long-term customers. DirecTV gave me some crap movie channels for "free" for 3 months to thank me for being a customer for 2 years. They called when it expired and asked if I'd like to keep them. I told them "No, I have Netflix and movie channels don't appeal to me anymore". They asked if they could help with anything else. I said "How about trading out my non-HD DVR for an HD-DVR?" Nope. I guess they save that deal for the new customers.

I don't know where companies are learning their marketing ploys now. I guess it must work or they all wouldn't be doing it.

I don't know where companies are learning their marketing ploys now. I guess it must work or they all wouldn't be doing it.

Well, I'm a jerk enough to demand that they refund the $1.99. I imagine most people aren't. That's $1.99 convenience fee X a zillion = profits.

Absolutely. Vonage users already found their traffic is, um, more likely to be subject to packet drop than Comcast's own VoIP service.

I ran into this for about the first 6 months of Vonage. Now I never have any issues. Had to call them and change settings a number of times before they got it right.

You should call and cancel and then you'll get their best service. I swear every company on the planet is doing it wrong by valuing new customers that use this bait and switch all the time over long-term customers. DirecTV gave me some crap movie channels for "free" for 3 months to thank me for being a customer for 2 years. They called when it expired and asked if I'd like to keep them. I told them "No, I have Netflix and movie channels don't appeal to me anymore". They asked if they could help with anything else. I said "How about trading out my non-HD DVR for an HD-DVR?" Nope. I guess they save that deal for the new customers.

I think 2 years is maybe a tad too short to actually call you a 'loyal customer'. But at least they offered you something.

I've been with them for 5 years. Out of the blue in August, they called and offered me the same package they were giving new customers to thank me for being a loyal customer. I got the Sunday Ticket, ALL movie channels and the RZ for only $5 more a month for the next 4 months. I only have to call about a week before the 4 months is up and ask to go back to my old package.

I also asked about a DVR service. While they'd have to charge me for a box (only $29.00).....the installation would have been free. I didn't do it only because it was a bad couple of weeks to be making 'appointments' I wasn't sure I could keep at the time.

I have to tell you.....I was blown away. Oddly enough, I'd been doing research at the time comparing other deals. They probably have my business for the next few years after this. :wacko:

They just sent me a coupon for 3 free payperview movies today...lol.