[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Swearing

detlef

I noticed something last night at the Roger Daltry show. People love swear words.

They opened with "Who are You". Everyone was excited and cheering along, but never more than he paused for a second and yelled, "Who the cufk are you?" He totally brought the house down with that. A room full of adults, most of whom were at least 40, just downright giddy at the notion of hearing the f word. It's pretty funny actually.

It got me thinking. What is it with these words? Also, when someone says "freaking" or "effing" or what have you, each of us immediately translates that word from this publicly acceptable form to what they really meant to say. So why is that any better?

I think the big thing with that particular song and that particular curse in that song is the fact that it went unnoticed for so long and was played (and still is in many cases) on public radio without being bleeped out because it's so discreet/unknown.

I think the big thing with that particular song and that particular curse in that song is the fact that it went unnoticed for so long and was played (and still is in many cases) on public radio without being bleeped out because it's so discreet/unknown.

Fine enough. But even if that's the case, then it's still odd that we'd take such satisfaction in know that them saying that word on the radio has been this inside secret that all us rockers have been able to share for all these years. I mean, when I was a kid, one of my favorite songs was Some Girls because he said "the f word", but I was like 8 years old.

It would be nice to think that we have all moved past the fascination with swearing as we move into (well into as it turns out) adulthood.

It's pretty funny actually.

I was thinking lame, but OK.

Swearing isn't good or bad itself but I'm talking about those who automatically think something is funnier or better if you swear, that swearing is always "cool" and who can't say more than 2 sentences w/o swearing.

I think it's a combination of immaturity (which is all the rage) and/or people's desire to prove to the world (or themselves) how big n bad and "tough" they are. Again an occasional swear word can occasionally be useful for emphasis (or if you're just PO'd) but IMO taking this to excess is very low-brow in a ghetto (or trailer park if you prefer) and/or teenager-y kinda way.

Edited by BeeR

Fine enough. But even if that's the case, then it's still odd that we'd take such satisfaction in know that them saying that word on the radio has been this inside secret that all us rockers have been able to share for all these years. I mean, when I was a kid, one of my favorite songs was Some Girls because he said "the f word", but I was like 8 years old.

It would be nice to think that we have all moved past the fascination with swearing as we move into (well into as it turns out) adulthood.

Well, most of the people at the concert were probably Stoners from the '70's and '80's so you'd have to expect the behavior to resemble that of an 8 year old. :wacko:

Well, most of the people at the concert were probably Stoners from the '70's and '80's so you'd have to expect the behavior to resemble that of an 8 year old. :wacko:

It was actually alarmingly mainstream. Which,I suppose, should not have surprised me in the least. In the lobby, you would have just as easily guessed you were at some sort of sales convention where everyone ditched their suits for barely more casual attire.

I guess it goes back to the old saying that there's a kid in everyone.

I think it's a combination of immaturity (which is all the rage) and/or people's desire to prove to the world (or themselves) how big n bad and "tough" they are. Again an occasional swear word can occasionally be useful for emphasis (or if you're just PO'd) but IMO taking this to excess is very low-brow in a ghetto (or trailer park if you prefer) and/or teenager-y kinda way.

Oh please. :wacko: People swear all the time in my line of work, it's just a way of adding emphasis to something you're saying. It's not like it's constantly used in regular conversation. I don't go home every night & say "Hey Honey, what the frack is for dinner tonight?" But when I'm just chatting with a friend, depending on the conversation, sure we curse fairly often. How does that make us immature or acting big & bad?

This is why Bill Cobsy is held in such high esteem. He could be hilarious w/o swearing at all. A lot of comedians used to be similar, but it's almost unheard of now.

Yep.

I hardly ever cuss anymore unless I'm drinking and then every other word is a cuss word.

I do like to see comedians talk about us white people and how we talk funny and walk funny and are racists. Makes me laugh. Then I throw a dollar in their hat when they shuck and jive and perform a quick softshoe for me.

:snicker:

You know who else is great besides Sinbad and Bill Cosby? Regis Philbin. He doesn't have to swear to get a laugh.

I remember the days when people were nice to one another and called their elders sir and ma'am. You know who else remembers? Pepperidge Farm remembers. And why is it they can put a man on the moon, but I still get this terrible arthritis? Get off my lawn!

You know who else is great besides Sinbad and Bill Cosby? Regis Philbin. He doesn't have to swear to get a laugh.

I remember the days when people were nice to one another and called their elders sir and ma'am. You know who else remembers? Pepperidge Farm remembers. And why is it they can put a man on the moon, but I still get this terrible arthritis? Get off my lawn!

:wacko:

You know who else is really funny without cussing alot? Robin Williams. He can just tell general everyday stories and change the tone and pitch of his voice and you just can't help laughing. Then you speed up and just start talking about anything and we're all rolling in the aisles. He'll look out the window and start talking about a tree for like 3, 4 hours and it never gets tiresome.

I'm not a prude by any means.....lol. But I was watching Comedy Central a few nights ago......granted it WAS past 1am. They sometimes have on "uncut" versions of certain movies or comedy routines, etc. So maybe I shouldn't have been so shocked.

But during a Windows 7 commercial, one of the women said "abso(the really bad word)inlutely"....I did a double take. :wacko: I kept thinking I heard her wrong.....but no. That's exactly what she said. In a Windows 7 commercial. It had to be tailored for late night cable.....right? They can't run that commercial anywhere else. :D

I guess it shocked me because it's one thing to sit down and watch a movie or comedy routine you know might have some adult material......quite another to see it in a commercial break. :D