[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Doing a little California Dreaming....

JoJoTheWebToedBoy

Just NW of SF is the tightest series of hairpin bends on a cliff face you'll ever see - or want to see. Drove that stretch last year at night in fog. :wacko: Some guy went through the railing going the other way but he was lucky 'cos the ground was only two feet down.

Oh yeah - load up with food and gas in Monterey because after that it's a long way with not a lot.

how much time do you have and what are your starting and stopping point on pch? are you looking for bar/restaurants? places to stay? things to do?

Going to spend Tuesday in Napa and then start in my favorite city... San Francisco, Thinking about spending a day or two in Monterey. Either ending it at LA or San Diego and then cutting back across the desert. This trip is pretty much a free form trip. Got a week.

oooooooooohhhhhhhhhh

what are the specs on the car?

Congrats!

Challenger RT, J Package Bright freakin Orange with Black Stripes, 5.7 V8 (372 HP) 20 inch Wheels, and an after-market exhaust...

ZOOM, ZOOM...... Man Am I going to get some tickets

Going to spend Tuesday in Napa and then start in my favorite city... San Francisco, Thinking about spending a day or two in Monterey. Either ending it at LA or San Diego and then cutting back across the desert. This trip is pretty much a free form trip. Got a week.

napa:

restaruants: tre vigne, bistro don giovani, martini house

wineries: minor, signorello, stag's leap (all 3 on the silverado trail), prater port works, castillo de amorosa (wines are so-so, but great place to drink wine), jordan, J, chateau potelle,

sonoma:

girl and the fig

wineries: ch. st jean, imagery, gloria ferrer

SF: need to know interests and budget. pier 39, gihradelli, alcatraz, zoo, aquarium, de young museum

Monterey: aquarium...but spend some time in carmel

carmel: portobella, grasings, casanova, forge in the forest, nepenthe (big sur)

a stop in santa barbara would be nice. i haven't been in a long time and i am sure others can give better rec's than me there.

same for other spots in sothern cal...but i enjoy, laguna, del mar, la jolla...... and haven't been to the gas lamp district in SD since it had a face lift (hear it is great), coronado...

Bier's advice is good.....Del Mar and Torrey Pines are beautiful beach areas along PCH in San Diego county. If you make it downtown, the Gaslamp Quarter is fun with all the restaurants and shops.

Bier's advice is good.....Del Mar and Torrey Pines are beautiful beach areas along PCH in San Diego county. If you make it downtown, the Gaslamp Quarter is fun with all the restaurants and shops.

Is Croce's Restaurant still there in the Gaslamp Dist? Excellent Cajun/Italian food, w/ lots of memorabilia of Jim Croce.

a stop in santa barbara would be nice. i haven't been in a long time and i am sure others can give better rec's than me there.

Yeah, I'd recommend stopping in Santa Barbara for sure. Depending on when you get there and whether or not you stay the night is the big question. If you're just driving through during lunchtime, grab a burger at Hamburger Habit. They have 3 locations in SB (I frequented the Hollister Ave. one during college). Speaking of college, if you're so inclined, take the UCSB exit right before getting into town and drive around the most beautiful ocean-side campus in the country.

If you decide to spend the night (I would recommend it), stay somewhere along Cabrillo Blvd. and take a cab to State St. Eat at Bucatini for sure. And actually eat the bucatini pasta. Heaven. Beers at O'Malleys or James Joyce.

napa:

restaruants: tre vigne, bistro don giovani, martini house

wineries: minor, signorello, stag's leap (all 3 on the silverado trail), prater port works, castillo de amorosa (wines are so-so, but great place to drink wine), jordan, J, chateau potelle,

sonoma:

girl and the fig

wineries: ch. st jean, imagery, gloria ferrer

SF: need to know interests and budget. pier 39, gihradelli, alcatraz, zoo, aquarium, de young museum

Monterey: aquarium...but spend some time in carmel

carmel: portobella, grasings, casanova, forge in the forest, nepenthe (big sur)

same for other spots in sothern cal...but i enjoy, laguna, del mar, la jolla...... and haven't been to the gas lamp district in SD since it had a face lift (hear it is great), coronado...

Thank you sir.... The Monterey Aquarium for sure. SF, May just hang out at GG Park. I've heard about Nepenthe, may have to check it out...

Bier gave you awesome advice.

Let me know if you will spend any time in Sacramento. Have fun!

Less then a day.... just picking up the car in Vacaville.... But Thanks

Yea, I aways stay in Solana Beach when I hit San Diego, great beaches. Usually hit the Blue Water Grill on the way out of town.

Edited by JoJoTheWebToedBoy

Thank you sir.... The Monterey Aquarium for sure. SF, May just hang out at GG Park. I've heard about Nepenthe, may have to check it out...

Less then a day.... just picking up the car in Vacaville.... But Thanks

Hey give me a call and we'll have lunch. I work in vacaville/fairfield

SF, May just hang out at GG Park.

Don't know if they've cleaned it up now but a decade ago the area of Golden Gate Park nearest Haight-Ashbury was a craphole full of junkies, muggers and other assorted criminals. Nice boating lake though.

Don't know if they've cleaned it up now but a decade ago the area of Golden Gate Park nearest Haight-Ashbury was a craphole full of junkies, muggers and other assorted criminals. Nice boating lake though.

that area is such a small part of the park..... if he stays near the aquarium, japanese tea garden, de young, and stow lake he can have a very relaxing, undisturbed day. jojo.. if you want to grab lunch near ggp, you have a lot of options:if you head to height/ashbury, there is a great tapas place called cha-cha-cha's and a cajun place called crescent city cafe. if you head west towards the beach you have the cliff house and beach chalet. if you head north (the avenues- my hood) you have a lot of options... gordo's taqueria is one of my favorites (23rd and clement). dim sum at ton kiong (21st and geary). georgio's for pizza (3rd and clement).... also around the lower avenues is considered the "new china town" so lot of very good oriental restaurants (chinese, japanese, burmese, thai, vietnamese, korean)

if you want a picnic in the park.... hit ag ferrari at laurel village (around california and spruce)

Ahhhh yes, my kind of people....

If you are going to hit Nepenthe in Big Sur (which I recommend) stop at the Julia Pfeiffer Burns State Park. It has the only waterfall in the world that empties into the ocean. Its right off the highway, and there is a decent little day hike if you want to head back away from the ocean and into the hills.

Frankly, you could easily kill a week in Carmel, Monterey, and Big Sur.

Edited by yo mama

If you are heading down to LA, then you will go through Malibu. Right before that there is this surfer bar / resturant that you will see off to your left. I can't for the life of me remember the name, but it was featured in the movie Point Break. Never ate there, but heard good things. Darin probably knows the name.

FWIW, the PCH is a great drive at least from Santa Barbara to LA. Have fun!