[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Gitmo Detainees To Get N1H1 Vaccine As American Citiznes Wait Due to Shortages

Perchoutofwater

Gitmo detainees set to receive swine flu vaccine

By DAVID McFADDEN (AP) – 1 day ago

SAN JUAN, Puerto Rico — Terrorism suspects held at the Guantanamo Bay naval base will soon get swine flu vaccines, despite complaints that American civilians should have priority, a military spokesman said Sunday.

Army Maj. James Crabtree, a spokesman for the U.S. jail facility in southeast Cuba, said the doses should start arriving this month, with guards and then inmates scheduled for inoculations.

He acknowledged there may be an "emotional response" from critics who argue that terror suspects should not be allocated swine-flu medications while members of the U.S. public are still waiting due to a vaccine shortage.

But he said U.S. military officials are "responsible for the health and care of the detainee population."

Medical personnel at Guantanamo requested the doses, but Crabtree said he did not know how many.

Detainees will be vaccinated "entirely on a voluntary basis," he said. "There is always going to be a segment of the population that is going to refuse," either due to anxiety about a shot or to "distrust of our motivations."

The top House Republican, Rep. John Boehner of Ohio, told CNN's "State of the Union" show on Sunday that he does not agree with the H1N1 vaccination plans for detainees at Guantanamo.

"I don't think it's a good idea. The administration probably didn't think it would be very popular either; that's why they announced it on Friday night," Boehner said.

The Miami Herald first reported about the vaccination plans on Wednesday.

Health officials have recommended that people in high-risk groups receive the swine flu vaccination first. There has been heated debate in several U.S. states about where prisoners should fall in the pecking order of vaccine recipients.

A spokesman for Physicians For Human Rights, an international medical group, said there are "certain basic obligations the U.S. has to its prisoners," and that vaccinations for influenza fall into that category.

"The fact that many prisoners within the U.S. don't get timely access to basic health care doesn't change the obligation of the U.S. to prisoners at Guantanamo," Dr. Scott A. Allen of the rights group said in an e-mail from Rhode Island. "We should work towards securing H1N1 vaccine for all at-risk populations, and not towards lowering a public health standard for certain unpopular groups."

Following Saturday's transfer of six Chinese Muslims from Guantanamo to the tiny Pacific nation of Palau, roughly 215 detainees remain at the detention center. The Obama administration plans to prosecute some in U.S. courts and turn over others to nations willing to rehabilitate or free them.

The administration also is grappling with how to keep in prison a handful of remaining detainees who are considered too dangerous to release or put on trial.

Link

This really pisses me off! Frankly it doesn't make sense on so many levels. These people are detained, and isolated from society. What is the likelihood they would contract the virus anyway!

Is anyone really waiting for the Swine Flu vaccination at this point? I'm sure we've pretty much all been exposed in some way. The vaccination is way too late this season to do any real good so why even bother?*

Edited to add disclaimer: *This is only my opinion. I am not a doctor. I apologize to any doctors whom I may have annoyed with this opinion. I am also not a really super smart Economics Professor who went to Germany and who gets interviewed all the time and who is sympathetic to the lowly common man in stuggling urban cesspools like Detroit and who can't stand to read differeing opinions on economics that challenge my elitist Hippie world-view. Seriously I'm not. So take my uneducated opinion with a grain of salt because I clearly don't "measure up" to someone of that stature. :wacko:

Edited by Savage Beatings

The administration also is grappling with how to keep in prison a handful of remaining detainees who are considered too dangerous to release or put on trial.

So you can be too dangerous to put on trial? I've heard lots of reason against putting Gitmo detainees on trial, but I don't remember hearing "too dangerous".

Is anyone really waiting for the Swine Flu vaccination at this point? I'm sure we've pretty much all been exposed in some way. The vaccination is way too late this season to do any real good so why even bother?

My thoughts exactly. Flu shots in general. Every year we make such a big freaking deal about the shortages of something many experts argue are basically worthless.

Is anyone really waiting for the Swine Flu vaccination at this point? I'm sure we've pretty much all been exposed in some way. The vaccination is way too late this season to do any real good so why even bother?

Swine Flu is year round ...its not seasonal like the regular Flu

It may spike up during the Flu Season and as fall turns to winter but its also still active in spring and summer

People were getting Swine Flu in the summer just not at the rate we are hearing now

With that said this story really infuriates me as i personally know one person who has a compromised immune system and would benefit from Swine Flu vaccine and she cant find a place that has them to administer

My thoughts exactly. Flu shots in general. Every year we make such a big freaking deal about the shortages of something many experts argue are basically worthless.

I wonder if Chargerz gets as annoyed by armchair doctors as I do with armchair economists.

I'm an armchair doctor because I'm not scrambling like a lemming to get this vaccine?

no, you are an armchair doctor because you write stuff like this:

I'm sure we've pretty much all been exposed in some way. The vaccination is way too late this season to do any real good so why even bother?

I wonder if Chargerz gets as annoyed by armchair doctors as I do with armchair economists.

Chargerz is a real doctor, though... :wacko:

Edited by SEC=UGA

I just figured we were trying to give all the detainees Guillain-Barré syndrome.

my actual expectation is that the government is trying to save itself money (as it is a lot cheaper to give someone a vaccine that to treat the flu itself)

(Doesn't mean that I am happy at ALL that they will get their shots before law-abiding people.)

my actual expectation is that the government is trying to save itself money (as it is a lot cheaper to give someone a vaccine that to treat the flu itself)

(Doesn't mean that I am happy at ALL that they will get their shots before law-abiding people.)

Probably trying to avoid liability in case one of them dies of the flu in US custody

No more or less annoyed than we do when an "expert" here on one side of a topic tries to play a trump card in a topic when we've read or heard conflicting arguments from other experts in the same field.

So, ouija. Does the fact that you're an econ professor that happens to post here mean that I should value your opinion on the subject more than I do another authority on the subject? Should I not present arguments that I've heard that are contrary to yours, even if I qualify that argument by saying "Some experts have said..."?

No more or less annoyed than we do when an "expert" here on one side of a topic tries to play a trump card in a topic when we've read or heard conflicting arguments from other experts in the same field.

So, ouija. Does the fact that you're an econ professor that happens to post here mean that I should value your opinion on the subject more than I do another authority on the subject? Should I not present arguments that I've heard that are contrary to yours, even if I qualify that argument by saying "Some experts have said..."?

link to your experts instead of just posting hearsay