[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Vince Young

Flip_Side

Hall of famer?

Not sure about that, but he is a legend already. Plugged him in today when Warner was reported out instead of Leinart. They were pretty even for a while - until that last drive. Guy just wins. Period. They made him sit in the pocket and he beat them from the pocket. The knock on him was that he wasnt a pocket passer. Well...

He seems to be maturing and has a chance to be a very good player in the league. He was a pro bowler as a rookie and had a rough sophmore season (like many players do). he seems to have bounced back from his personal issues and looks poised to have a nice career. Terrific story this season and I can imagine most fans are rooting for him (unless you are playing against him in your fantasy game).

I will say this, it looks like his mechanics have improved, which tells me he has been working on it. The guy has all the tools to be a very good QB in the NFL. I still see some very childish parts of his game though. He really blew it at the end of the first half and cost his team points trying to run around with only seconds on the clock. And any time someone pushes him out of bounds, he gets upset and has something to say. I still think he is very immature, but he is better than he was before his benching. It'll be interesting to see how he responds when he and the Titans are having a bad day. After all, that was his undoing the first time . . .

In all seriousness he along with CJ have really changed the Titans around.
I don't think CJ really changed though. Yes he has had more consistent, better weeks with Young starting, but I think that was a result of defenses having to consider the passing game and not just focusing on stopping CJ.

I hear he winz teh gamez.

Seriously, fans and analysts always complain when the gifted QB prospect turns out to lack 'it'. In Young, we have a guy with too much 'it' but his fundamentals have been suspect because at every level his athleticism and speed have been so good he hasn't had to develop as a real NFL-caliber passer. In college and his rookie year the highlights are the game winning TD runs, not the great decisions/passes.

Yesterday he led a 99 yard TD drive (where a TD was necessary to win) in an end-of-game situation converting on 3? fourth downs, and it was almost all passes. He ended just shy of 400 yards passing with no interceptions. And this isn't on a team like Arizona brimming with receiving weapons-- the best receiving talent on the Titans are their two rookies, Britt and Cook (Gage and Washington *might* be better now, but I doubt that's true for very long).

He's still a bit immature, he can certainly make better decisions, but in 7 games so far he's completing 63% of his passes and has only thrown 2 interceptions. He's got a QB rating of 90ish. None of that is HoF, but it's a damn sight better than what I would have expected out of him passing.

I haven't heard anyone giving Bud Adams some props for forcing Fisher to start Vince Young. If it wasn't for Adams demand Vince could still be on the bench as Fisher wanted no part of removing Kerry Collins from the starting lineup. It turned out to be a great decision.

+ 1

Like others have mentioned he still needs to mature a bit when things don't go his way. If he doesn't, it will be his undoing regardless of talent or improved mechanics or 99 yd drives or win streaks or whatever.

His time with the Titans has been an adjustment. He's a player who, up until becoming a pro, has been enthusiastically and probably blindly supported at every step of his development. Well, that stuff pretty much ends in the NFL. It's sink or swim time for Vince.

The addition and development of the WRs helps but that's hard to say. Washington was the 3rd option on his former team. Gage never was much with his former team. Scaife's ok. Crumpler is no longer a pro bowler. The OL is one of the best in the league so that's never been an issue. I think the obvious, and big, X-factor has been Chris Johnson. The guy is really, really good and important to the entire offense. Kind of like what Westbrook meant to Philly in his prime. Johnson may actually even be better and mean more to his team than Westbrook ever did.

Personally, I think the major factor is not the O-line, Chris Johnson, his receivers, Kerry Collins or any of that. It's that when he sort of melted down, he had a choice to make - blame everyone else, wallow in self-pity and fade away, or face your demons, reach out for help and dedicate yourself to pulling through it.

He chose the latter and he has matured greatly. I think it's a great story.