[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

whomper

My wife and I are big believers in Karma. While we obviously arent perfect , we always try and do right by people and maybe even surprise people every now and then with some kindness. I know some people dont feel Karma plays in to anything. I respect those peoples beliefs as well.

Last night we went to a benefit for this young girl that is battling this rare bone disease. My buddy is a cop in Ft Lee NJ and the cops and fireman put this thing together. It was a nice night. 10 bucks per person for a big pasta dinner and you could also buy raffles for door prizes and a 50/50. Me , my wife and 2 daughters went and had a good time.

Our friend the cop was also the MC for the event. He told a story to the place about what happened about a month ago. We had a party at my house for a lot of of friends whose kids go to school with ours. It was party with all the parents but all the kids were invited as well. It was all local people from town. Our friend was telling us about the upcoming benefit at the party. His son and my daughters were listening and they got all psyched to go to this thing. As the party was going on the parents were having agood time and all the kids were hanging out in my family room. They all came out and started asking the parents for donations. They didnt tell us for what. They were saying they were going to have a fashion show for everybody and needed donations. So the parents in order to get rid of the kids and continue drinking out of the goodness of their hearts just handed the kids some cash. 5s singles a few 10s. We did that and didnt think anything of it.

At the end of the party and after the fashion show the kids came up to my friend that told us about the benefit and said they did the fashion show and raised the money for the girl at the benefit (there were about 15 kids at my house that did this) They handed Tom 89 dollars for the benefit

So back to last night at the benefit. They are raffling off the door prizes . Some are small and others were really nice prizes ( Sporting event tickets jets, Giants , knicks etc) The biggest prize is a 7 day all expenses paid cruise that was donated. So a few people made speeches and the last person to make a speech before the raffles was my buddy Tom. He ended his speech by calling up my girls and telling the place about the 89 dollars all the kids raised at my house. His son unfortunately wasnt feeling well and didnt go. My oldest got right up there smiling. My little one buried her head in my chest and said screw that I aint going up there. Anyway it was nice for me and my wife because they all clapped for my kid and they let her stay up there all night and pull the raffle tickest out of the bowl.

Ill wrap it up with my karma part of the story. One of the small prizes being raffled off was a rocking horse. There were actually 4 of them. The 4th one got raffled off. My little one would have liked it but she didnt say anything and was just having fun checking my tickets. So the 4th rocking horse winner comes over to our table and out of nowhere gives the rocking horse to my little one. He knew she was part of the story but she was too shy to go on stage. We thought it was just really cool of this guy to do that out of the blue and my kid really loved it. 3 prizes later they raffle off the 7 day cruise. Who wins the cruise ? The guy that gave my kid the rocking horse.

Edited by whomper

Great story. You should be very proud of your kids, and of yourselves for bringing them up in a manner where they are charitable. The wife and I are big believers ins 1 Corinthians chapter 13, and try very hard to instill it into our children, as it appears you do as well.

With regard to karma or luck, I don't believe in it. I think we make "good luck or karma" by putting our selves in the optimal position to succeed. We make "bad luck or karma" by not doing everything we should have done. We like to say we have good or bad karma to either make us feel like we are more deserving than someone else or to make an excuse as to why we didn't get something we may no have deserved.

Beautiful story, Whomp. Congrats to you on raising two daughters who will carry your values into their adult lives. Neither of them will forget the things they felt that night.

for karma, not a believer. i see too many bad things happen to good people and too many good things happen to bad people. :wacko:

The cynic in me believes with dmarc....

I think we make "good luck or karma" by putting our selves in the optimal position to succeed. We make "bad luck or karma" by not doing everything we should have done.

....though I don't necessarily beleive this. Good things and bad things happen a lot of the time out of pure dumb luck.

I've seen "bad" people have great things happen to them not because they put themselves into a position for it to happen....it just happens. Conversely, I've seen great people struck down by tragedy/illness. Healthy people who did eveything they could to stay that way become cancer-ridden.

Crap happens....

Edited by i_am_the_swammi

Great story. You should be very proud of your kids, and of yourselves for bringing them up in a manner where they are charitable. The wife and I are big believers ins 1 Corinthians chapter 13, and try very hard to instill it into our children, as it appears you do as well.

With regard to karma or luck, I don't believe in it. I think we make "good luck or karma" by putting our selves in the optimal position to succeed. We make "bad luck or karma" by not doing everything we should have done. We like to say we have good or bad karma to either make us feel like we are more deserving than someone else or to make an excuse as to why we didn't get something we may no have deserved.

I agree with you completely perch. There isn't some mystical property about things, but we make our own beds, so to speak.

ETA, except the whole religious thing...

Edited by Kid Cid

No, I am a Christian. Karma is the inverse of Christianity.

Explain please.

I mean, I thought that doing the right thing for the sake of doing the right thing was the goal of every person's behavior. You know to make the correct moral and ethical decision every time. Are you trying to say that getting paid back for doing the right thing in the here and now is the antithesis of Christianity and that your only rewards should come after you die? That's f'ed up right there.

Edited by Kid Cid

Explain please.

I mean, I thought that doing the right thing for the sake of doing the right thing was the goal of every person's behavior. You know to make the correct moral and ethical decision every time. Are you trying to say that getting paid back for doing the right thing in the here and now is the antithesis of Christianity and that your only rewards should come after you die? That's f'ed up right there.

Read the stories of Job, Lot, Jesus, Peter. Righteousness doesn't necessarily brings rewards during our time on earth.

To clarify. My belief in Karma is more of a specific and less of a broad general occurence. I too have seen terrible things happen to wonderful people. I consider Karma sometimes when someone pays something forward. When you get hit with a random act of kindness sometimes I feel like it is because of something that you did and wasnt random at all .

Does belief in Karma contradict religion ?

To clarify. My belief in Karma is more of a specific and less of a broad general occurence. I too have seen terrible things happen to wonderful people. I consider Karma sometimes when someone pays something forward. When you get hit with a random act of kindness sometimes I feel like it is because of something that you did and wasnt random at all .

Does belief in Karma contradict religion ?

I don't think so. The Bible also says that whatever you sew, you reap. That would seem to me to jive with karma. :wacko:

Edited for spelling. :D

Edited by westvirginia

this year i volunteered ta tear a disabled guys porch off that also supported the roof, build new and added a wheeelchair ramp.....2 days turned inta 9 but i really enjoyed helpin the guy out :D since then i've had 2 knee operations/ skin cancer removed from my forehead that requied Plastic surgery ta fill the crater/ and shot myself in the wrist with a nail gun :wacko: what's up with that

Edited by nuke'em ttg