[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Sucks to be me today... a bad Caddyshack day

Thews40

So life seems to have its cycles and today wasn’t a peak in the positive direction. Since I got married I moved to Denver and only go back to my house once a week or so. Studying for some finals I blew off going there last week. I went there today and found that somehow a squirrel had gotten in the house. I’m not sure how, maybe it fell down the chimney or something, but that little rat bastard did a number on the inside of the house including tearing down one of the blinds…tore it apart. I open the door and it ran across the room after it saw me and I thought it ran under the dishwasher, but I couldn’t see it when I pulled it out. I had to go to class so I left… seething. :D

I get home and with broom in hand start smacking things looking for it. Most of my stuff is moved out, but the couch was still there. I had both the front and back doors open in case it made a mad dash, and as soon as I moved one of the couch cushions the little shat climbed in the hole it made. I stood there pondering the thought of smacking its ass as I could see it inside the cushion, but then I figured it would make more a of a mess. He pops his head out :wacko: , takes off across the room and I run after him with the broom :D . I smack the backside of the cabinet he ran under, and he pops out and takes off towards the front door and escapes outside to freedom. :D

My couch is ruined, two blinds need to be replaced, and there’s squired shat all over the place. I’d contemplate calling my insurance company, but don’t want the hassle of going through arbitrators while those rat bastards find any excuse possible to keep from paying for anything while they cash my check every month for providing me nothing. I went through that when my basement was flooded when a pipe broke, and they told me if I made another claim in the next five years they’d drop me. rats... :D

I really enjoyed your story, but I remember the days when insurance was only for catastrophic events and not a tool to manage our finances since we cannot manage our own. I understand you are a student but replacing a couch cushion or having it sewed, or even replacing a couch along with a couple blinds should not be insurance items.

Like you said insurance is for when a pipe breaks and you have to replace all your flooring a bunch of drywall, plumbing work and any electrical damage to appliances.

I really enjoyed your story, but I remember the days when insurance was only for catastrophic events and not a tool to manage our finances since we cannot manage our own. I understand you are a student but replacing a couch cushion or having it sewed, or even replacing a couch along with a couple blinds should not be insurance items.

Like you said insurance is for when a pipe breaks and you have to replace all your flooring a bunch of drywall, plumbing work and any electrical damage to appliances.

Why don't you just kick him in the nuts while you're at it?

well........... depeneds what you are choosing to insure and willing to pay for.

You are highlighting my point.

maybe. you were trying to dictate what should or should not be covered based on opinion. i was stateing that would should or should not be covered should be based on whatever policy he elected to purchase....and specifically whatever is covered under his policy.

maybe. you were trying to dictate what should or should not be covered based on opinion. i was stateing that would should or should not be covered should be based on whatever policy he elected to purchase....and specifically whatever is covered under his policy.

No, I was not trying to dictate what should or should not be covered based on opinion. You are missing my point completely. I am thinking purely of the finance of it all. Any insurance policy that covers more than a "catastrophic" event is merely prepaying for something or worse yet paying more than its replacement.

I am not against anyone purchasing any amount of insurance to insure anything. I do not dictate the numbers that disagree with over insurance or poor personal finance.

This was a fun hijack.....

Edited by Grimm74

No, I was not trying to dictate what should or should not be covered based on opinion. You are missing my point completely. I am thinking purely of the finance of it all. Any insurance policy that covers more than a "catastrophic" event is merely prepaying for something or worse yet paying more than its replacement.

I am not against anyone purchasing any amount of insurance to insure anything. I do not dictate the numbers that disagree with over insurance or poor personal finance.

This was a fun hijack.....

it depends on the value of the items to the individual and whether or not they want to insure it imo. not what you said originally.

Edited by Bier Meister

One time I dropped the collision on my truck because it was a pos that broke down all the time and it was just time to let it go if it was ever totaled. The agent asked me if I wanted "Deer Insurance", and I asked him what that was. He said it was a special insurance exclusively for hitting a deer. I said "No" and told him "The only way my truck would collide with a deer would be if the deer ran into my truck while it was broken down on the side of the road!"

Edited by Scorcher

This is a fairly expensive couch (about $3K), and while the blinds I have to replace along with all the other things that little shat tore up won't be all that expensive, that's not the point. When my basement was flooded because of a broken pipe, the arbitrator came over and basically said the damage wasn't enough to cover the deductable. This was an outright lie and he was just making it hard. So I wrote a few letters and phone calls and went a few rounds with them and finally settled for about $2500 by the time it was all over. They then told me if I made another claim in the next 5 years they'd drop me. The moral of the story is you pay insurance in case stuff happens. When it does happen, the insurance bastages act like you're really putting them out by having the insurance you paid for in case it happened pay for the damage.

Let me guess... you're in insurance?

This is a fairly expensive couch (about $3K), and while the blinds I have to replace along with all the other things that little shat tore up won't be all that expensive, that's not the point. When my basement was flooded because of a broken pipe, the arbitrator came over and basically said the damage wasn't enough to cover the deductable. This was an outright lie and he was just making it hard. So I wrote a few letters and phone calls and went a few rounds with them and finally settled for about $2500 by the time it was all over. They then told me if I made another claim in the next 5 years they'd drop me. The moral of the story is you pay insurance in case stuff happens. When it does happen, the insurance bastages act like you're really putting them out by having the insurance you paid for in case it happened pay for the damage.

Let me guess... you're in insurance?

Thews....no I am not in insurance...Big John is right I am or more fitting (probably) was a Land Developer, but now I am working much more in finance. I run the finances for a large and a few small companies. I was not trying to target your situation. I was just making a point. I have zero clue about your situation so making any judgment would be ignorant....without rereading my post if that was how it appeared I apologize. Your story turned my mood around so there is a tiny bit of silver lining to it.

i once caught 14 flying squirrels in my house. Major fun catching those little fellows.

When Mom & Dad moved into the house they're in now, they had a flying squirrel problem. They used to come in the attic and down the wall into the kitchen cabinet. The second time one jumped out of the drawer at Mom she told Dad something like "They go or I go." :wacko: Dad was up on the roof that weekend. Dad said it was quite entertaining the second time. Apparently it jumped out right onto Mom's shoulder. :D