[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

out of touch, part 2

dmarc117

The main one that I am seeing is the use of checks. Nothing more annoying than the person in line at a grocery store writing a check for their stuff rather than using their ATM card or credit card (though, as detlef will point out, I'm sure giving one the option to use either service from a single card will cause even greater confusion)

Though I just saw an article where banks in England are phasing the check out.... I don't doubt that won;t start happening here soon.

The main one that I am seeing is the use of checks. Nothing more annoying than the person in line at a grocery store writing a check for their stuff rather than using their ATM card or credit card (though, as detlef will point out, I'm sure giving one the option to use either service from a single card will cause even greater confusion)

Though I just saw an article where banks in England are phasing the check out.... I don't doubt that won;t start happening here soon.

I heard about this on NPR the other morning driving to school. It's not happening in England either till 2018.

Don't ya hate it when the cord on your wall phone keeps ya from walking all the way to the refrigerator to get a snack while you're talkin' to someone?

Our Wall Phone is located 8' from the fridge. I have a 15' cord attached. Problem solved. :wacko:

My parents just got cable a year ago.

They got a cell phone 4 months ago, it's a trac phone or whatever. It's not ever powered on, so emergencies basically.

They don't have call waiting, they have an answering machine with a tape they don't always leave on.

Their DVD player is a less than 3 years old.

The Apple IIe is in the closet, though, their computers are new. They also have my Mac from college. Green screen!!

Growing up we didn't have color TV until the launch of one of the space shuttles (early 80's maybe?), Dad thought it would be nice for me to see it in color.

Parents had a rotary dial phone not long ago. I used to make tons of wrong number calls and would say "get a new frickin phone". Mom would reply back and say "If it ain't broke don't fix it"

I broke that mother F'er and now they have a push button cordless phone.

:wacko:

Parents had a rotary dial phone not long ago. I used to make tons of wrong number calls and would say "get a new frickin phone". Mom would reply back and say "If it ain't broke don't fix it"

I broke that mother F'er and now they have a push button cordless phone.

My dad discovered that when his parents died they had been renting a rotary phone from the phone company for 12 dollars a month, for almost 30 years.

His head exploded.

Full disclosure - it was around 12/month when they passed in 2000. I'm sure it wasn't that when they began renting the phone in 1974 but those dates are solid. Chicago area too.

Edited by Pope Flick

My dad discovered that when his parents died they had been renting a rotary phone from the phone company for 12 dollars a month, for almost 30 years.

His head exploded.

Full disclosure - it was around 12/month when they passed in 2000. I'm sure it wasn't that when they began renting the phone in 1974 but those dates are solid. Chicago area too.

Seen this before. There are thousands of older people still being ripped off this way.

His head exploded.

Anything you can do about this? I think a day or two ago there was an article I read about some dude that was getting paychecks but was not an employee. He was cashing the checks and now he got busted and has to repay the money and I think other things - not sure.

I agree he should payback the money and is a crook but so is the phone company above and they should repay the money plus interest.

Sorry for the hijack.

Edited by gbpfan1231

Anything you can do about this? I think a day or two ago there was an article I read about some dude that was getting paychecks but was not an employee. He was cashing the checks and now he got busted and has to repay the money and I think other things - not sure.

I agree he should payback the money and is a crook but so is the phone company above and they should repay the money plus interest.

Sorry for the hijack.

They paid for a service they received and agreed to, I don't think what you're talking about is an accurate analogy: he was taking money for nothing.

His head exploded.

I got my first rented "Touch-Tone" phone in 1972 for ~$12/month, local calls included. I think the rotaries were ~$6/month. There were no purchase options back then. My mom had the rented phone up until 1985 and it was the only phone she ever had during my life! :wacko: When we moved her out by us she wanted to keep it and keep paying the $6/month rental fee. I told her "Ma we're giving it back and I'll buy you a new phone.". She said...."Is that legal?". :D

I got my first rented "Touch-Tone" phone in 1972 for ~$12/month, local calls included. I think the rotaries were ~$6/month. There were no purchase options back then. My mom had the rented phone up until 1985 and it was the only phone she ever had during my life! :wacko: When we moved her out by us she wanted to keep it and keep paying the $6/month rental fee. I told her "Ma we're giving it back and I'll buy you a new phone.". She said...."Is that legal?". :D

Cripes, I'm seeing Dad next week and I'll get the breakdown from him.

That phone, by your numbers, cost nearly 3 grand.