[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

picked up a stray

whoopazz

My wife came home with a beautiful basset hound today that she found wandering in the road. She's a great dog and gets on well with our spaniel. The cats are none to happy though and that hound wants a piece of that chit. I've run adds in the local shelter web sites and will bring her to the vet tomorrow. May have myself a nice dog though if no one claims her. Anybody have experience with bassets?

Some of the best dogs are strays, like my friend in the next office suite over found a black standard poodle after hurrican katrina, lots of dogs were dumped at that time here in town since we are on the interstate and an escape route per se...she is such a sweet dog, beautiful, almost show-dog in appearance...good luck with your new member of the family!!

make sure to make every attempt to find the owner. Pure breeds are seldom natural strays (ie born form wild parents, or from a wild parent and a domesticated one). Odds are that dog hasd an owner.

If you can't find owner, enjoy the pleasure of a dog.

Don't know anything about bassets, but they are hounds, and from what i know hounds are not the easiest of dogs. but nothing that a bit of training won't fix right away

make sure to make every attempt to find the owner. Pure breeds are seldom natural strays (ie born form wild parents, or from a wild parent and a domesticated one). Odds are that dog hasd an owner.

If you can't find owner, enjoy the pleasure of a dog.

Don't know anything about bassets, but they are hounds, and from what i know hounds are not the easiest of dogs. but nothing that a bit of training won't fix right away

I'm definitely trying to find the owner. I can tell this dog is house broken and likes to be with people, not a pen kept hunting hound. She did take a nip at my cocker last night over a chew bone and is driving the cats insane. She's been locked in our bathroom all night and hasn't made a peep. What a sweetie.

I'm definitely trying to find the owner. I can tell this dog is house broken and likes to be with people, not a pen kept hunting hound. She did take a nip at my cocker last night over a chew bone and is driving the cats insane. She's been locked in our bathroom all night and hasn't made a peep. What a sweetie.

I've said the same thing about my wife.

I've never had a basset but we do have a beagle. Hounds will follow their noses to the ends of the Earth. Our beagle was like letting a squirrel in the house when she was a puppy. Wildest thing you've ever seen. Now that she's older, she is well-behaved. I wouldn't call them the most trainable dogs in the world. But they arle good watchdogs. If a leaf blows in her backyard, it must be hunted down and smelled for 30 minutes before given approval to be in her backyard. :wacko:

Good for you for saving her. I can't believe people don't have tags on their dogs if they are missing the Basset.

Good for you for saving her. I can't believe people don't have tags on their dogs if they are missing the Basset.

Yea, that's a good reminder for me to get a leash for mine. :wacko: Fat dog broke his old leash and we just haven't gotten around to getting him a new one for him to break.

Just remembered.

In NY all dogs need to be either tatooed on their ear or microchipped (rabies info IIRC). I'm not sure where you are and what the laws are, but it is distinctly possible that that dog has a microchip in between his scapula...

My wife just got back from the vets...no chip. No tag either. We've been warned by several friends to NOT drop her off at the county shelter where they apparently euthanize without contacting you first. We've been told she is about 2 years old, purebred Basset in excellent health.

My wife just got back from the vets...no chip. No tag either. We've been warned by several friends to NOT drop her off at the county shelter where they apparently euthanize without contacting you first. We've been told she is about 2 years old, purebred Basset in excellent health.

I pm'ed you. Keep in mind this time of the year lots of people are taking care of relative's and friend's dogs and they escape and get lost trying to find their way home. I had a friend take care of my dog once and she jumped out their car window and started running down the middle of the street and no one could catch her. She was determined to find her way home and pretty freaked out. Finally she tired out and came up to someone with food. Not having a collar and tags is too bad. I have bathed my dogs before and forgot to put their collars back on when dry, but they are also microchipped.

Owners found via Craigslist! Doggie is back home and happy. Here's the weird part. My wife started calling her Lucy and when I asked why she replied "she just looks like a Lucy to me". When I met the owners, I learned that the dogs name is...Lucy :wacko:

can you ask your wife about the lottery numbers tonight?

Owners found via Craigslist! Doggie is back home and happy. Here's the weird part. My wife started calling her Lucy and when I asked why she replied "she just looks like a Lucy to me". When I met the owners, I learned that the dogs name is...Lucy :wacko:

Good news and well done to you. Two questions:

Do you know how she got lost?

Are you certain it was the real owners?

Owners found via Craigslist! Doggie is back home and happy. Here's the weird part. My wife started calling her Lucy and when I asked why she replied "she just looks like a Lucy to me". When I met the owners, I learned that the dogs name is...Lucy :D

:wacko:

good question.......

1. Their story was that they had a large group at the house for a funeral, and the dogs got out. The little one made it back home and this one my wife rescued from the road.

2. I was careful about this one. They nailed the description of the dog and the tagless collar over the phone. They also live near where the wifey found it. The dog ran into his arms. All in all a good ending.

1. Their story was that they had a large group at the house for a funeral, and the dogs got out. The little one made it back home and this one my wife rescued from the road.

2. I was careful about this one. They nailed the description of the dog and the tagless collar over the phone. They also live near where the wifey found it. The dog ran into his arms. All in all a good ending.

You have made that family's year. Good on ya whoopazz! :wacko:

Well done. I am sorry that you lost a good dog in the process, and frankly because of your obvious care in doing all the right things, you deserve that dog way more than those jackass owners do. No tatoo, no chip, no tag? Pathetic.

Hope karma comes back your way on this one :D

Thanks and your right. THEY didn't call my Craigslist post, their neighbor did. Neighbor gave me the owners number and I called and quizzed them to verify ownership. Of course they were happy to have her back, but didn't seem to try very hard in finding her. Also barely thanked me. :wacko: The dog was excited to be home though so that's that.