[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

So cable is tweaking our t*ts again...

rocknrobn26

If a new deal isn't reached, programs that could disappear from Time Warner Cable Inc.'s lineup include ``The Simpsons'' and several football games, among them, the Sugar Bowl on Friday, the Cotton Bowl on Saturday and the NFL's final regular season contests on Sunday. Bright House Networks' cable TV systems also face a Thursday deadline with News Corp.

http://www.wcbs880.com/Doh--No-More-Fox-/6005080

:wacko:

Today you do, but how about in February. Or next year. Or whenever Fox and DirecTV's retransmission agreement comes up for renewal.

You sound like a Cable TV apologist.

Here in Comcast country they have been playing games with consumers for years. Now they have monopolized the NHL as payback for the NFL package. They have also made cable boxes mandatory now, so they can get their extra $2 rental fee a month. Whatever, screw cable TV. Less options and to get more options they either gouge you or tell you their system can't handle it.

Want FOX? Get an antenna.

Looking at directv and dish network this week . . .

I heard that Dish Network has a pretty sweet deal right now. $25/month for the first year, HBO/Showtime free for 3 months. With Sunday Ticket now ridiculously expensive, there doesn't seem to be much difference between DirecTV and Dish Network. I had DirecTV for years and enjoyed solid customer service, but they're pricey IMO.

If you can get it in your area, I'd also check out AT&T's U-Verse. A buddy of mine has it, and loves it. Fast internet, solid TV programming and decent pricing.

If you can get it in your area, I'd also check out AT&T's U-Verse. A buddy of mine has it, and loves it. Fast internet, solid TV programming and decent pricing.

I love U-verse. And with the NFL Network Red Zone channel, I don't really miss Sunday ticket. Red Zone is only $5 per month and gets you the laziness of having someone else flip to the games that are good. I do miss watching Broncos games, but on the flip side at least I don't have to watch the Lions every week either.

I love U-verse. And with the NFL Network Red Zone channel, I don't really miss Sunday ticket. Red Zone is only $5 per month and gets you the laziness of having someone else flip to the games that are good. I do miss watching Broncos games, but on the flip side at least I don't have to watch the Lions every week either.

Dish Network has RZ as well. They're really playing off the fact that Sunday Ticket is so expensive nowadays.

Here in Comcast country they have been playing games with consumers for years. Now they have monopolized the NHL as payback for the NFL package. They have also made cable boxes mandatory now, so they can get their extra $2 rental fee a month. Whatever, screw cable TV. Less options and to get more options they either gouge you or tell you their system can't handle it.

I'm far from a Cable TV apologist. But all of the cable and satellite companies go through this. Content providers always want more for their channels, the cable companies always want to pay less for their own higher profit margins. I use to have Dish Network before FiOS and Charlie Ergen (founder and CEO of Echostar, Dish's former parent company) was notorious for threatening to pull channels over contract disputes.

My only point is that it affects all the companies...you may not hear of every dispute, but it's there.

How do you get to watch our Flyers and/or Sixers with DirectTV? Just curious. That's why I continue to subscribe to Comcast, for hometown sports coverage.

How do you get to watch our Flyers and/or Sixers with DirectTV? Just curious. That's why I continue to subscribe to Comcast, for hometown sports coverage.

I can't because Comcast won't allow its Philly channel to be part of the local channel package (unlike other Comcast markets like DC). Which means even if I pay for the NHL package I still can't watch Flyers games. ( I would stick a fork in my eyes before I would watch basketball)

A few years back I had no other option that satellite. House was in an area where there was no cable TV available. Which was how I found out about Comcast's conspiracy. Trying to get tha NHL package and finding out why Flyers games were still blacked out

Why does fox want to charge providers for an over-the-air signal? If I had Time Warner cable here in Dallas, I'd just run down to radio shack for the digital converter box for the Cowboys game and Family Guy/American Dad. I certainly would not want my TV provider to pay extra for it.

Why does fox want to charge providers for an over-the-air signal? If I had Time Warner cable here in Dallas, I'd just run down to radio shack for the digital converter box for the Cowboys game and Family Guy/American Dad. I certainly would not want my TV provider to pay extra for it.

They also want their cable affiliates (such as FX or Fox News) on the cable systems and in more prominent positions.

Why does fox want to charge providers for an over-the-air signal?...I certainly would not want my TV provider to pay extra for it.
What makes you think that you don't already? The cable (or satellite company) has to have a retransmission agreement in order to carry the local channel. That agreement usually comes at a per-subscriber price. The national networks also have noticed what the local affiliates are getting in the way of fees and want a cut of the action too.

I can't because Comcast won't allow its Philly channel to be part of the local channel package (unlike other Comcast markets like DC). Which means even if I pay for the NHL package I still can't watch Flyers games. ( I would stick a fork in my eyes before I would watch basketball)

A few years back I had no other option that satellite. House was in an area where there was no cable TV available. Which was how I found out about Comcast's conspiracy. Trying to get tha NHL package and finding out why Flyers games were still blacked out

Yea. That's exactly why I deal w/Comcast's stranglehold.

As a DirecTV customer, I miss ESPN Classic. That was taken from us with no notice that I remember. I have an answer that none of the cable or satellite places would ever go for....let us pay for the channels we want!! Hell, half of DirecTV is now infomercials on every other channel. But I guess that's how they advertise so many more choices than others. Bullsheet.

Right now...

71 Jewelry TV (infomercials and junk)

72 ESPN2

73 ESPN

74 SHOP (infomercials and junk)

75 TNTH

76 HDTH

77 DTV (infomercials)

78 DTV (more informercials)

79 HDN

80 HOME (Paid programming

81 BUY (etc)

82 SHOP (etc)

83 DTV (etc)

84 DTV (etc)

85 DTV (etc)

88 IRTV (etc)

93 DTV (etc)

I'm sure the fanboys of DirecTV will say it keeps our costs down. It's just a way to advertise 1,000 channels of which most watch 10. Costs never go down. Ever.

Edited by TimC

As a DirecTV customer, I miss ESPN Classic. That was taken from us with no notice that I remember. I have an answer that none of the cable or satellite places would ever go for....let us pay for the channels we want!! Hell, half of DirecTV is now infomercials on every other channel.

Have ESPN Classic here, but versus was pulled on DirecTV.

Have ESPN Classic here, but versus was pulled on DirecTV.

Our Versus has had a note for months:

603 Versus is no longer available on this channel. Comcast, which owns Versus, has forced us to take down the channel because we will not submit to their unfair and outrageous demands.

Luckily, I don't care for hockey.

As a DirecTV customer, I miss ESPN Classic. That was taken from us with no notice that I remember. I have an answer that none of the cable or satellite places would ever go for....let us pay for the channels we want!!

That would kill off a lot of minority channels. Plus there's a good chance you'd end up paying more in the end. For instance, if a bundle has 50 channels, costs $10 and you want only two of them, that's just 40 cents, right. You seriously think they're going to let you have them for 40 cents? :wacko: