[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

life/job/work question

dmarc117

Somewhere in the middle. I'm working hard enough to provide a decent lifestyle for my family now and future security while trying to hunt and fish as much as possible while I can still get around. Likely means I'll end up working a little longer than I'd like, but that is a trade off I'm willing to make.

Somewhere in the middle. I'm working hard enough to provide a decent lifestyle for my family now and future security while trying to hunt and fish as much as possible while I can still get around. Likely means I'll end up working a little longer than I'd like, but that is a trade off I'm willing to make.

This

I think its important to have balance and not go too heavy in any one area of your life. There are no guarantees as to how long we each have here, so gotta mix in some fun and stuff along the way.

No guarantee that I'll live long enough to retire, I say have some fun now. But that also doesn't mean that I'm not planning for my retirement as well. Put me somewhere in the middle.

No guarantee that I'll live long enough to retire, I say have some fun now. But that also doesn't mean that I'm not planning for my retirement as well. Put me somewhere in the middle.

Odds are against me living a long life with everything I have put my body and mind through my 45 years so far. I have to be in the middle somewhere

Edited by T_bone65

I am busting my balls now so that my wife can be a stay at home mom until all our kids are in school.

Worth every minute

This plus putting away as much as we can afford into 401K and ROTH IRA.

Then I get to retire early while she continues to work and support me. :wacko:

Though I make it a big point to get plenty of family time, and the rare bit of me time. Gotta stay sane.

This is my train of thought as well.

We fall into the work your ass off now and enjoy the golden years. We will be empty nesting it at 45. I've pretty much already got both kids college funded. The only other major expenses I see are weddings, and luckily my wife isn't into all the pretentious crap so those shouldn't be to terribly bad. I'm looking at both kids out of college and married by the time I'm 50. I'll probably work until I'm 55 or so to retire provided the work environment doesn't change too much. If we start seeing a lot more regulation, and it becomes too big of a pain in the ass, I might liquidate a little earlier and either adjust my standard of living, or I might teach for a little while and instead of traveling all the time, just travel during the summers and Christmas breaks for a few years. Still the current plan is at 50 downsize the house to a modest size 3 bedroom, put the money from the sale of the current house in some relatively safe investments and at 55 buy a used Lagoon 50' Comet and saill around the gulf a few times. If I like it as much as I think I will then I'll upgrade to a Lagoon 620 and sail around the world. By the time I get around the world, I should have some grand kids to play with, so I'll spend a lot of time spoiling them.

As i have said in the past, put our kids through school. Then it is hat tricks farm for me and the Mrs.

Edited by whomper

work some, take some time off, spend, enjoy, and then have to work late in life.

this one, i really enjoy my job and it usually does not require me to put in more than 8 hour days. I'm making less than in the private sector, but I think it is worth it to make a difference and have time to enjoy my family.

work some, take some time off, spend, enjoy, and then have to work late in life.
this one, i really enjoy my job and it usually does not require me to put in more than 8 hour days. I'm making less than in the private sector, but I think it is worth it to make a difference and have time to enjoy my family.

somewhat similar here--the only thing I would add is that I would change dmarc's quote from "and then have to work late in life" to "and then continue to work late in life" because I'd probably continue working at my job even if I didn't have to.

Edited by wiegie