[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

norv turner contract extension

tonorator

:wacko:

i don't get this. sure, it was a great season with the 11 game winning streak and all, but i thought this was the year that they were looking for norv to take them to the big dance. to give him 3 more years after getting knocked out in the first playoff game, at home, is puzzling to me. why not just a 1 year deal to reward him for the nice overall season but keep the heat on?

why not just a 1 year deal to reward him for the nice overall season but keep the heat on?

Which is what the Cowboys did, correctly IMO. After Norv made an arse of the final couple minutes, I was sure he'd be gone. Maybe the Chargers looked around and couldn't see a better option? Maybe he has nekkid pics of the GM / president?

As a fan of another AFC team, I think it is a great move by the Chargers to keep Norv around for as long as possible. :wacko:

As a Dallas Cowboy disliker, I think the Cowboys should do the same with Wade.

As a fan of another AFC team, I think it is a great move by the Chargers to keep Norv around for as long as possible. :wacko:

Good to see the Chargers doing what they can to let the rest of the devision catch up!

Errr... if only Al wasn't doing his part to let the others catch up to the Chargers.

Question:

Does the length of a NFL coach's contract give him any protection from being fired sooner?

Answer:

Nope.

True but those contracts are guaranteed and therefore firing him early would be expensive.

That hasn't seemed to stop anybody from firing a coach in the past.

my thought as well. but hey, maybe the chargers view it as having learned from their mistakes, and come around to the view that mediocrity is something to strive for vigorously. :wacko:

..and reward handsomely.

i'm good with Norv getting an extension.

everyone loves Bill Cowher....how long did it take him to win a SB?

coaches can't play the game for their players. i blame certain individuals in uniform much more

than i blame the coach.

what changed with Mike Tomlin from last year to this year? the Steelers didn't even make the playoffs....should he be fired? answer, no.

There is something wrong. Tomlinson was asked after the game if he wanted to come back to the Chargers. After a loooooong pause, and several shrugs, he said, "I can't tell you right now."

I think he was reflecting on the stupidity of some of his teammates rather than any perceived shortcomings of the coaching staff.

i'm good with Norv getting an extension.

everyone loves Bill Cowher....how long did it take him to win a SB?

coaches can't play the game for their players. i blame certain individuals in uniform much more

than i blame the coach.

what changed with Mike Tomlin from last year to this year? the Steelers didn't even make the playoffs....should he be fired? answer, no.

There is personal irony for me since I was praying that Ryan was going to be the hire when they chose Norv. I'm good with Norv too... for now. I was frustrated with the play calling in that game, but maybe they thought a "fresh" LT was going to contribute more!?!? I am probably in the minority, but I thought the onside kick gave the Bolts the best chance to win. A Jets first down anywhere on the field and the game is over. The Chargers defense all year has proven that MOST of the time, they could not get stops when they really needed them and needed the offense to bail them out. So, why not try to give your offense the ball around mid-field with 2 minutes and a time out? Kick it away and IF you make a stop, (unless Sproles, who had not had much chance all game to return anything, takes it back for a big return) you get the ball back around mid-field with maybe a minute left and NO timeouts. Even if they got the stop at mid-field, they are looking at going a long way against a very good defense. I didn't see much difference trying to push it 50 yard or 80 yards with a minute left. Either way, against that defense, it would have been a long shot. I thought the call gave them the best shot at winning. :D

I don't know about holding players accountable, but these are grown men and should be accountable to each other. What is true is that AJ knows this team and he knows who can and should be purged. The defense is still not championship caliber though did an admirable job during the season, but if I had a bad feeling going into post-season, it was here. Just like against the Cowboys when they gave up a 99 yard drive, they had the Jets pinned at the 7 and gave up field possession. THAT is when you put your foot on their throat and choke them out. Right there was the biggest series of the game. The D just couldn't get it done when they HAD to. :D

The Chargers are the only team to make the final 8 the last four years in a row. I don't think they really deserved to be there last year, but you have to make it there to go further. Would I rather have as a fan now what most other teams have? Nope. I am not so sure about the "window" closing anymore. The core of this group is young and in their prime and with a QB like Rivers, there is always hope.

As "wrong" or as "off" or as "bad" as the Chargers played, they still could have/should have won that game. They were not out-physicalled or "punched in the face". A few players choked between the ears. If Keading makes two of those kicks and we are talking about Boltz-Colts this week and how that game would have been a "wake-up' call. (And if my Aunt had balls she'd be my uncle).

Ahhhhhhh, hope. Guess I'll have to wait until next year for a chance at a SigLine bet... :wacko:

There is personal irony for me since I was praying that Ryan was going to be the hire when they chose Norv. I'm good with Norv too... for now. I was frustrated with the play calling in that game, but maybe they thought a "fresh" LT was going to contribute more!?!? I am probably in the minority, but I thought the onside kick gave the Bolts the best chance to win. A Jets first down anywhere on the field and the game is over. The Chargers defense all year has proven that MOST of the time, they could not get stops when they really needed them and needed the offense to bail them out. So, why not try to give your offense the ball around mid-field with 2 minutes and a time out? Kick it away and IF you make a stop, (unless Sproles, who had not had much chance all game to return anything, takes it back for a big return) you get the ball back around mid-field with maybe a minute left and NO timeouts. Even if they got the stop at mid-field, they are looking at going a long way against a very good defense. I didn't see much difference trying to push it 50 yard or 80 yards with a minute left. Either way, against that defense, it would have been a long shot. I thought the call gave them the best shot at winning. :D

I don't know about holding players accountable, but these are grown men and should be accountable to each other. What is true is that AJ knows this team and he knows who can and should be purged. The defense is still not championship caliber though did an admirable job during the season, but if I had a bad feeling going into post-season, it was here. Just like against the Cowboys when they gave up a 99 yard drive, they had the Jets pinned at the 7 and gave up field possession. THAT is when you put your foot on their throat and choke them out. Right there was the biggest series of the game. The D just couldn't get it done when they HAD to. :D

The Chargers are the only team to make the final 8 the last four years in a row. I don't think they really deserved to be there last year, but you have to make it there to go further. Would I rather have as a fan now what most other teams have? Nope. I am not so sure about the "window" closing anymore. The core of this group is young and in their prime and with a QB like Rivers, there is always hope.

As "wrong" or as "off" or as "bad" as the Chargers played, they still could have/should have won that game. They were not out-physicalled or "punched in the face". A few players choked between the ears. If Keading makes two of those kicks and we are talking about Boltz-Colts this week and how that game would have been a "wake-up' call. (And if my Aunt had balls she'd be my uncle).

Ahhhhhhh, hope. Guess I'll have to wait until next year for a chance at a SigLine bet... :wacko:

I agree with this,Norv is not the reason the Bolts lost, it is squarely on Kaedings foot and has been more than once in the playoffs.He may be the worst kicker in post season history.I give him a pass on the 57 yarder but the other two kicks should have been made.He chokes badly in the playoffs and needs to be let go immediately.If not for him the Bolts may have a title by now.

Man, a lot of people giving Norv a pass on this one it seems. Yeah, he didn't tell his team to hang out at the titty bar all night 36 hours before the game. He didn't miss those field goals. He didn't directly do a lot of things.

But the fact is that he is at the command of a team that had the talent to win it all, but lacked the focus and maturity. AJ can keep lying to himself, and the Chargers fans can keep lying to themselves, but the fact is that Norv obviously runs a loose ship, and that was shown in gruesome detail in the mistake prone playoff loss to the Jets.

How he was given a contract extension after getting out-coached by a rookie head coach, and his team got out-played by a clearly inferior team, tellls me that the owner is more intersted in convincing himself that firing Schottenheimer was the right decision than he is interested in winning. Keeep looking the other way AJ, this team will NEVER win a championship with Mr. Enabler trolling the sidelines.

... more intersted in convincing himself that firing Schottenheimer was the right decision ...

It was. Marty did not want to be here anymore either and did everything in his power to force the team to fire him. This myth needs to be laid to rest once and for all!

As for Norv being the right guy, who knows, but my choice is coaching the Jets inthe AFC Championship this weekend! :wacko: