[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Buying a new TV this week...

Avernus

I usually have no problem helping someone else with a TV set, but when it comes to my own I end up being extremely picky about what will be going in my livingroom...

here are the models I am looking at right now...

Panasonic 46 G10 model

Sharp 46 LED 46LE700UN model

I was also looking to see if I can find a Sony XBR9 LCD under 1500, but it doesn't seem possible yet....and with my current Sony in the livingroom dying and I am left with a Sony 32" upstairs I am wondering how long I could hold out and see prices come down some...

should I try to hold out and find a better deal or should I just grab one of these and call it a day?

Saw a Panasonic Plasma ad yesterday at Best Buy. 50", 1080p, 600hz for $979.

Model number TC-50PS14

Not sure what the difference is, but seemed like a great price for a 50".

yeah, the same one is at sears for $899....but when it comes to Plasma the G10 series is Panasonic's best Plasma - imo anyways...they are highly rated and when you look at one, the picture is great...

deep blacks and great for sports and action movies....

I bought this one from Amazon on Black Friday ($1044, free shipping no taxes) after months of research. I am extremely pleased and it even gets better ratings than the G10. I was originally going to go with the G10 myself but this one is getting rave reviews and in most reviews you'll see that many people pick it over the G10. Look into it. Dude it totally rocks. Just do a search on google for PN50B650 and you'll see what I'm talking about. It also has more options on the menu than the G10, a swivel base, looks totally classy (w/it's 'Touch of Class' effect), and it is almost perfect out of the box so there is not much tweaking you really have to do unless you want to hire a professional.

Plasma has the much better PQ over LCD's plus you can get a larger set for much less price than you would with an LCD. And don't let the LED TV's fool you either. They are LCD TV's with just a different backlighting technique. They are step in the right direction but Plasmas have the better picture hands down.

Edited by tosberg34

I bought this one from Amazon on Black Friday ($1044, free shipping no taxes) after months of research. I am extremely pleased and it even gets better ratings than the G10. I was originally going to go with the G10 myself but this one is getting rave reviews and in most reviews you'll see that many people pick it over the G10. Look into it. Dude it totally rocks. Just do a search on google for PN50B650 and you'll see what I'm talking about. It also has more options on the menu than the G10, a swivel base, looks totally classy (w/it's 'Touch of Class' effect), and it is almost perfect out of the box so there is not much tweaking you really have to do unless you want to hire a professional.

Plasma has the much better PQ over LCD's plus you can get a larger set for much less price than you would with an LCD. And don't let the LED TV's fool you either. They are LCD TV's with just a different backlighting technique. They are step in the right direction but Plasmas have the better picture hands down.

yeah, the only difference between LED LCD and traditional LCD's is the lighting source....but the picture on these Sharps are amazing....

and the only sasmung models I like are the 850....it's thin like their LED line but it's a Plasma and it's the only Samsung model that I saw that didn't have certain things that looked fake....I mentioned this in another thread that had someone in an uproar (I forget already)....but everything else looked fine on these TV's...the commercials played and looked fine and then the football game came back on and the green in the grass was a bright crayon green compared to all the other TV's...this was common in all Samsung models even though I messed with the settings...

but the 850 didn't seem to have this problem....I was going to consider it, but the price might be a little too steep for what I'm going for at $1489 from Sears and Best Buy...and I'm pretty sure it's better than the 650...

yeah, the only difference between LED LCD and traditional LCD's is the lighting source....but the picture on these Sharps are amazing....

and the only sasmung models I like are the 850....it's thin like their LED line but it's a Plasma and it's the only Samsung model that I saw that didn't have certain things that looked fake....I mentioned this in another thread that had someone in an uproar (I forget already)....but everything else looked fine on these TV's...the commercials played and looked fine and then the football game came back on and the green in the grass was a bright crayon green compared to all the other TV's...this was common in all Samsung models even though I messed with the settings...

but the 850 didn't seem to have this problem....I was going to consider it, but the price might be a little too steep for what I'm going for at $1489 from Sears and Best Buy...and I'm pretty sure it's better than the 650...

Actually, the 650 IS the 850, just thinner. If a slim TV is your thing, then go with the 850, otherwise the 650 is exactly the same.

Edited by tosberg34

Actually, the 650 IS the 850, just thinner. If a slim TV is your thing, then go with the 850, otherwise the 650 is exactly the same.

nah, I don't believe in spending more for something that will not enhance the picture quality, I swore that I read the 850 had a higher contrast ratio...but I can't even find any info on either televsion based on my searches, but in store I swore the 850 had quite a bit more...

I was also wondering about the Panny 46PZ850U model as it costs more than the G10, but I don't know that it is better as I haven't seen it in stores for myself...

I usually have no problem helping someone else with a TV set, but when it comes to my own I end up being extremely picky about what will be going in my livingroom...

here are the models I am looking at right now...

Panasonic 46 G10 model

Sharp 46 LED 46LE700UN model

I was also looking to see if I can find a Sony XBR9 LCD under 1500, but it doesn't seem possible yet....and with my current Sony in the livingroom dying and I am left with a Sony 32" upstairs I am wondering how long I could hold out and see prices come down some...

should I try to hold out and find a better deal or should I just grab one of these and call it a day?

I would take the Panny over the Sharp. I would take most plasmas over most LED LCDs at this point in time.

I went with the G10 version of the 54" since Sears didn't have it in any other size and someone let me use their discount card....

this TV is amazing and don't let the store display fool you because when you turn the TV on, it will ask you if it is for store use or personal....stores have to click "store use" which makes the picture extremely dark - even for a Panasonic model which is already known for rich, deep blacks as it is....

the picture that I received out of the box was amazing and nothing like the store display......the calibration disc yielded some unusual bumps that I didn't experience with my other two Sony LCD models, but after I got done it looks amazing....but the settings I have it on are unconventional (tint -30 and temperature of Cool2 which are settings I usually despise using)...

regardless....the Panasonic G10 series is highly touted for good reason....and Blu-ray's :drool:.....I have Star Trek in and by the end of the week I will watch The Dark Knight, Baraka, Iron Man and 2001 A Space Odyssey....and maybe even Close Encounters of the Third Kind.....

Avernus ..... I have a 50" Sony Bravia that I bought last year and I have never had it calibrated. Is it easy to do? Do I have to hire someone to do it or can I do it myself? Congrats on the new purchase. Just in time for the big game!

I honestly feel that paying someone to do it is a waste of money....a lot of people do it themselves and you might find great calibration settings on avsforum.com ...you'd go under LCD TV discussion and find your model - you might find a few different calibration settings for the model you have...

but the way I did it was buy the Blu-ray disc for about 9.99 and it has certain screens you look at that help you determine the proper settings for brightness, color, contrast etc etc....

I'd look on avsforum first to see if you find any calibration settings that are listed for your set....and then resort to the disc...

hope this helps...and thanks, the Tv is already considered to be worth the money...

actually, I forgot something :wacko: you aren't supposed to calibrate your Plasma until a few hundred hours of viewing so you can break it in....otherwise calibration is rather pointless....

be sure to put everything at less than 50 (contrast, color, brightness etc.) so you keep plenty of miles on it for when you are able to sit down and have it calibrated...