[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

I wonder if it will do the book justice.

Perchoutofwater

• Replies 51
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Honestly I've just now got around to reading the book. I'm at the point where Dagny finally sleeps with Rearden. It reminds me a lot of what I've been saying that there comes a point where the productive people just say fruck it, why am I doing it for everyone else. When the government made Rearden give up his mines the first thin I thought of were Chrysler bond holders.

Thanks for the new word.

Which one? Guy?

Edit: I find Rand to be a primitive throwback, very cold-blooded, almost vicious and certainly intolerant. She writes well but her attitude is that of one who can be fairly certain she will never be in need of the assistance of others, so screw everyone else. A Rand world isn't on my list of places to visit.

Edited by Ursa Majoris

Because she was a guy in reality and a misogynist?

You know, perch is right about you. You've really gone off the deep end at those you differ with politically. You might want to back away from your hate, ursa. We used to disagree agreeably.

And frankly, I don't think you guys get the central thesis of the whole standard Rand used for coupling folks. She felt Rearden was her equal, so Dagny could give herself fully to him. :wacko:

FWIW, I don't think even a 3-hour movie could really do it justice. It should probably be something like a mini-series.

You know, perch is right about you. You've really gone off the deep end at those you differ with politically. You might want to back away from your hate, ursa. We used to disagree agreeably.

And frankly, I don't think you guys get the central thesis of the whole standard Rand used for coupling folks. She felt Rearden was her equal, so Dagny could give herself fully to him. :wacko:

FWIW, I don't think even a 3-hour movie could really do it justice. It should probably be something like a mini-series.

I'm sorry to have offended you by criticizing your idol but you could read my other post and respond to that.

I respectfully disagree.

IMO, Rand rejects the feminine in all respects, most notably in her protagonist's sexual encounters with men.

And frankly, I don't think you guys get the central thesis of the whole standard Rand used for coupling folks.

Methinks you're akin to slurping down an extra dose of koolaid with the best of em:

In Rand's view, government had three specific and limited tasks: to defend the nation from foreign enemies, to police the nation against crime, and to enforce voluntary contracts between free parties. And that's it.

But Rand, who preached the notion of absolute personal freedom and individualism, was a study in contradictions.

Among her acolytes, she did not tolerate dissent.

"What she would tell you, basically, is that she was right and you were not thinking properly if you did not agree with her," Heller says.

Rand's longtime lover and student Nathaniel Branden circulated a list of rules for her followers to absorb. One read: "Ayn Rand, by virtue of her philosophical genius, is the supreme arbiter in any issue pertaining to what is rational or moral."

Sounds pretty neato, how do I become a fanboy? :wacko:

http://www.npr.org/templates/story/story.p...oryId=114373264

Methinks you're akin to slurping down an extra dose of koolaid with the best of em:

Sounds pretty neato, how do I become a fanboy? :wacko:

http://www.npr.org/templates/story/story.p...oryId=114373264

Heller's book has been widely criticized by the Ayn Rand Society as being a skewed bunch of crap. I haven't read it, so I don't know. But several objectivist scholars I've talked to have read it and I believe them.