[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Ever read stuff in school ("forced")....and ended up liking it?

BeeR

I discovered I really liked Shakespeare in HS. Hate the "translation" part of it but otherwise, great stuff.

Animal Farm (Orwell). IMO one of the most underrated novels ever.

Cats Cradle (Vonnegut). Beat the flip out of Slaughterhouse 5.

Several short stories I don't recall titles or authors we covered in HS or even Jr High that I might not call "amazing" but were at least good enough to remember. One where a guy got stuck in a grain silo and ultimately the grain came pouring down on him. Another where a guy got lost in the Arctic and was in a race to beat death. Recall he built a fire and snow plopped on it from a tree. Oh and Flowers for Algernon.

Edited by BeeR

I discovered I really liked Shakespeare in HS. Hate the "translation" part of it but otherwise, great stuff.

Animal Farm (Orwell). IMO one of the most underrated novels ever.

Cats Cradle (Vonnegut). Beat the flip out of Slaughterhouse 5.

Several short stories I don't recall titles or authors we covered in HS or even Jr High that I might not call "amazing" but were at least good enough to remember. One where a guy got stuck in a grain mill as the grain came pouring down on him. Another where a guy got lost in the Arctic and was in a race to beat death. Oh and Flowers for Algernon.

Animal Farm & Cats Cradle also 1984, Lord of the Flies took a Utopia class one semester the best HS course ever.

Agree on the Shakespeare. I really thought I liked it until I took a course on it in college. A college lit class started my enfatuation with Hemingway. We were assigned to read "For Whom the Bell Tolls". To this day it is still probably my favorite read.

My son is right in the midst of the Lord of the Flies and has read Catcher in the Rye and Farenheit 451 as well this year.

I wasn't so much of a fan of Catcher. Of course I was in the process of dragging him through it kicking and screaming pretty much. Lord of the Flies is on the docket right now and it's quite good as was Farenheit.

I know a lot of literary snoots sneer at it nowdays but I also really liked Call of the Wild. Never did read any Hemingway. Most of what I read now (which isn't much) is non-fiction.

I'm with you on Call of the Wild. I read it to my sons when they were 8 and 9 and they couldn't wait every night to hear more.

Was an early reader. Read everything I could get my hands on. So... by the time I got to high school and required reading lists were being put out... I had already read most of the books on the list. Don't think I was ever "forced" to read anything.

I'm with you on Call of the Wild. I read it to my sons when they were 8 and 9 and they couldn't wait every night to hear more.

Very cool. That's something I bet you'll all remember forever. I would love to hear about more stuff like that vs stuff about kids vegetating on video games and ©rap music. I remember one year in elementary school our teacher (ie homeroom teacher) would read us a chapter or 2 a day out of a book, don't even remember what it was any more, but most of us got pretty caught up in it and actually looked forward to hearing another part of the story the next day. Not meaning to get into a "things were always better in the old days" bit, but I suspect nowdays that's about as common as a winning lotto ticket; books are so "uncool" it seems. Probably helping was she could read well (good narrator) and had a genuine enthusiasm, both for reading and us.

PS slight sidetrack but anyone have any idea what the 2 short stories were I mentioned initially?

I also really liked Call of the Wild.

Same here. In high school I found I really liked everything written by Jack London. To this day a short story called "To Build A Fire" still sticks in my mind.

Animal Farm

Catcher in the Rye

The Hobbit

Johnny got his Gun

Catch 22

Into the Mountains of Madness

Fahrenheit 451

ETA: The Time Machine

I've read them all again since becoming older and still they are all great, memorable stories.

Edited by jetsfan

Same here. In high school I found I really liked everything written by Jack London. To this day a short story called "To Build A Fire" still sticks in my mind.

That's it! That was one of the short stories I mentioned. Now if I could just figure out the grain silo one.....