[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Pancreatic cancer

muck

Any ideas of mortality rate for someone who is told they have pancreatic cancer?

Just curious, a 57yo friend of mine was just diagnosed; docs gave him no more than 12 months (with treatment).

Pancreatic cancer doesn't play fair because it tends to spread before symptoms occur. Because of this and depending on the stage of the cancer when its discovered, the five year survival rate is unfortunately only about 5-10%. I'm sorry I couldn't give you better news.

Pancreatic cancer doesn't play fair because it tends to spread before symptoms occur. Because of this and depending on the stage of the cancer when its discovered, the five year survival rate is unfortunately only about 5-10%. I'm sorry I couldn't give you better news.

One of my clients lost his wife to pancreatic cancer. He said by the time the docs found it they gave her a 2% chance of survival.

Any ideas of mortality rate for someone who is told they have pancreatic cancer?

Just curious, a 57yo friend of mine was just diagnosed; docs gave him no more than 12 months (with treatment).

My Dad's had already spread to the lungs & Liver they gave him 6 months, he made it 8.... he said he would of skipped the Chemo so at least he could eat before he died....i had a very difficult time getting any answers about how this Cancer thing works and the truth from anyone..... when Hospice swoops in ya finally get great care & information and feel like a humanbeing again right before ya die :wacko:

Pretty much what everyone else said and sorry to hear muck. Of course those rare exceptions do occur, so by all means I hope he attacks it with both guns. PS I strongly, STRONGLY recommend he goes to MD Anderson in Houston ASAP. THE place to go.

Edited by BeeR

Lost my wife's step dad to it after abouot a 16 month battle in April of last year. He made it to my youngest son's 2nd birthday, was okay there albeit weak from the treatment, and 2-3 days later passed away.

Sorry, I too wish I could share a better outcome, but it just isn't there.

One of my best friends, my father in law, died 3 months after finding out he had it. Once the kidney's fail, then its less than a week. Hospice made things much easier for all of us.

Sorry to hear. Spend as much time with him as soon as you can. He will get weak soon.

I lost a freind and one of the best co workers I have ever worked with to Pancreatic cancer in August 2009. Diane is missed by all that knew her. I am attaching her opening comments from her Caringbridge website.

The beginning of a storm is brewing - life can change in a minute. On May 22, 2009 I went to the Dr. with stomach and back pain. One week later, after a liver biopsy, I was diagnosed with pancreatic cancer.

Through family, faith, and friends I will weather this storm!

Background Story

The beginning of March 2009 I went to the chiropractor seeking relief for nagging back pain. We were driving to Colorado for a ski trip and I hoped the chiropractor could alleviate my back troubles. I remember being glad the back pain actually subsided while skiing. Little did I know, back pain relieved by leaning forward or being active can be one of the hidden symptoms of pancreatic cancer. Skiing went well, though, in the evenings I continued to experience back pain.

After our Colorado ski trip I continued chiropractic treatment. On top of back pain I began to experience stomach discomfort. Friday, May 22, I went to the doctor for a blood work up and an x-ray. The following Wednesday I was scheduled for a CT Scan and an MRI. Two days later I was at the Mayo Clinic where the scans were read and found to show a mass on my pancreas and suspicious spots on my liver. They orderd a liver biopsy. On Wednesday, June 3, results confirmed pancreatic cancer. My next appointment with Mayo is Thursday, June 11 to determine a course of treatment.

I lost a freind and one of the best co workers I have ever worked with to Pancreatic cancer in August 2009. Diane is missed by all that knew her. I am attaching her opening comments from her Caringbridge website.

The beginning of a storm is brewing - life can change in a minute. On May 22, 2009 I went to the Dr. with stomach and back pain. One week later, after a liver biopsy, I was diagnosed with pancreatic cancer.

Through family, faith, and friends I will weather this storm!

Background Story

The beginning of March 2009 I went to the chiropractor seeking relief for nagging back pain. We were driving to Colorado for a ski trip and I hoped the chiropractor could alleviate my back troubles. I remember being glad the back pain actually subsided while skiing. Little did I know, back pain relieved by leaning forward or being active can be one of the hidden symptoms of pancreatic cancer. Skiing went well, though, in the evenings I continued to experience back pain.

After our Colorado ski trip I continued chiropractic treatment. On top of back pain I began to experience stomach discomfort. Friday, May 22, I went to the doctor for a blood work up and an x-ray. The following Wednesday I was scheduled for a CT Scan and an MRI. Two days later I was at the Mayo Clinic where the scans were read and found to show a mass on my pancreas and suspicious spots on my liver. They orderd a liver biopsy. On Wednesday, June 3, results confirmed pancreatic cancer. My next appointment with Mayo is Thursday, June 11 to determine a course of treatment.

A key statement in this post is "nagging back pain". I had a friend who died of colon cancer. He told me he had consistent back pain that he ignored for 6 months. When he finally went to the Dr. , he had advanced to stage 4. Had he gone earlier he not only would have lived longer but also had a much easier treatment program. For both pancreatic and colon cancer consistent back pain can be a sign. I'm sorry about your friend.

Edited by Scorcher