[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Interesting baromoter check on economy

Jimmy Neutron

Interesting...I read in the paper this morning that the Dallas Boat Show was up 20-30% for the first weekend year over year. Also, for a couple of businesses I own shows have been up compared to last year but they are not at 2008 levels. One is the poultry show in Atlanta and the overall mood there was hopeful. Another, a home remodeling show in Vegas was pretty upbeat as well.

Canton Fair in November was way up according to our vendors - but mostly Asian and European representatives. As a company, we took shows off last year, but are going back this year.

I'm not surprised a boat show is way down this year. I wouldn't be surprised to learn that boating is among the hardest hit industries during this recession. New and used boat sales were reportedly at record lows at two marinas I know. I heard one went bankrupt at the end of last summer.

Our company is seeing increased sales since Christmas.

Edited by The Irish Doggy

I attend the International Council of Shopping Centers' trade show in Vegas each year (week before Memorial Day). 2008 attendance was about 50,000 people - just before the meltdown. Last year it was off by half. This year, they're expecting a lower turnout already and have discontinued use of one of the halls we had used in year's past.

The commercial real estate sector has been hit pretty hard by everythiing.

Interesting to read these observations and, unfortunately, they are pretty consistent with basic macroeconomic statistics. Not only is income still way down, but household wealth (including the assets of non-profits) are still down about $13 trillion from its peak. (it was around 80 trillion and now it is down to about 67 trillion)

Interesting to read these observations and, unfortunately, they are pretty consistent with basic macroeconomic statistics. Not only is income still way down, but household wealth (including the assets of non-profits) are still down about $13 trillion from its peak. (it was around 80 trillion and now it is down to about 67 trillion)

that household wealth is gone for awhile. it was all about home prices and retirement funds. those are both crushed. good times.

Every gun show I've been to has been crazy the last 18 months or so.

I'd say guns shows have been the definition of crazy for a lot longer than that.

:wacko:

Edited by yo mama

Well...all the resident huddle experts tell me I should be staying home and saving my money, not spending it. So if I can't spend it, why would I bother going to some boat show?

So this must be a good thing then, right? People must be choosing to stay home and save their money rather then go to a boat show....everyone should be happy. :wacko:

Well...all the resident huddle experts tell me I should be staying home and saving my money, not spending it. So if I can't spend it, why would I bother going to some boat show?

So this must be a good thing then, right? People must be choosing to stay home and save their money rather then go to a boat show....everyone should be happy. :D

Imagine that - boat and golf trade shows - basically luxury items have taken a hit. Go figure. :wacko:

i think 08 was the 1st year more gc's closed than opend. talk about a bubble, the golf industry was way inflated. equipment and prices to play were insane.

Still is. The market got over-built and over-saturated during Tiger's heyday and height of popularity. All the mid-range/lower range clubs have taken huge hits, and a lot of high-end public courses have closed. Golf was never a "everyday man's" sport. It has always been expensive to play.

However, certain segments of the golf industry are above reproach (at least for now) due to the overwhelming wealth of the members. Even with the market turndown, their net worth went from 100 million to 50 million . . they can still afford to belong to a top end club and buy the latest technology.

i think 08 was the 1st year more gc's closed than opend. talk about a bubble, the golf industry was way inflated. equipment and prices to play were insane.

Yes, and it allowed me to buy new sticks for 1/3 of what they originally listed for. :wacko:

I'm still out there spending money, but it's always on deals. I'm also taking full advantage of folks selling their stuff to help make ends meet. Taking advantage may be strong, I give people more money than they'd get at a pawn shop. Hit the local classifieds if you're in the market for something - I'm getting nice stuff for often less than half of the price of new.

Now if the new Odessy Black Tour putters would just be placed on clearance... man those are nice....