[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Scott Brown votes for the jobs Bill

billay

I don't remember anyone touting Brown as the Savior of the Republican Party. His election to the Kennedy seat in one of the bluest States in the Union was more of a clarion call to the current Administration that more people than not are rejecting the path that they are forcing upon us. Absolutely conservatives here (including myself) were excited and energized by his election, but clearly not because they thought he was the next GOP Messiah.

And FWIW, I'm not any less excited about that political reality just because Brown wants to vote for a Jobs Bill.

• Replies 67
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

And that shows one of the righties indicating Brown was a savior, where?

I think it was more delight at Democrat discomfiture than anything else.

FWIW, I kinda like the Brown guy. Right now he is so newly minted that he still relates to Joe and Jill American. Sure, he's a Republican but so what? The problem is how long it will take for him to be rotted by Washington and the siren voices of privileged detachment. Some have the nads to quit after only one term when they see how foul the whole system is. Anyone staying gets gradually subsumed into the machine - assimilated into the Borg.

How long will Brown resist?

I don't remember anyone touting Brown as the Savior of the Republican Party. His election to the Kennedy seat in one of the bluest States in the Union was more of a clarion call to the current Administration that more people than not are rejecting the path that they are forcing upon us. Absolutely conservatives here (including myself) were excited and energized by his election, but clearly not because they thought he was the next GOP Messiah.

And FWIW, I'm not any less excited about that political reality just because Brown wants to vote for a Jobs Bill.

Yeah, i don't get why Massachussettes voters who already have universal healthcare would want to pay more taxes to bring universal healthcare that they already have. Obviously a backlash against universal healthcare.

What? :wacko::D

I think it was more delight at Democrat discomfiture than anything else.

FWIW, I kinda like the Brown guy. Right now he is so newly minted that he still relates to Joe and Jill American. Sure, he's a Republican but so what? The problem is how long it will take for him to be rotted by Washington and the siren voices of privileged detachment. Some have the nads to quit after only one term when they see how foul the whole system is. Anyone staying gets gradually subsumed into the machine - assimilated into the Borg.

How long will Brown resist?

I think he's a slick empty suit typical politician myself.

And that shows one of the righties indicating Brown was a savior, where?

Um, go back and read the orgiinal Brown thread from when he was elected. There were plenty of posts saying this was the beginning of the end for the Dems, based on Brown winning a traditionally blue state.

Maybe ask DMarc why his post in that thread consisted of nothing but :D:D:D

Oddly, I don't see that same simile coming from anywhere on the right in this thread :wacko:

Um, go back and read the orgiinal Brown thread from when he was elected. There were plenty of posts saying this was the beginning of the end for the Dems, based on Brown winning a traditionally blue state.

Oddly, I don't see that same simile coming from anywhere on the right in this thread :wacko:

I don't think this shows him as being a savior, but an indicator of things to come. I think it shows the frustration that even some liberals have with the Dems in Washington. I don't think anyone was comparing the guy to Reagan or even Newt.

I think he's a slick empty suit typical politician myself.

Hmmmm. Interesting. I admit I haven't exactly been studying him intensely but some of his utterances seemed to me to be rooted in this universe instead of the bizarro universe more "experienced" politicians inhabit.

Hmmmm. Interesting. I admit I haven't exactly been studying him intensely but some of his utterances seemed to me to be rooted in this universe instead of the bizarro universe more "experienced" politicians inhabit.

Maybe i'm judging him too harshly on his naked photo shoot and his awww shucks country truck campaigning.

u love cherry picking, dont you?

who also said this in that thread?

very important that the republicans realize this was not an endorsement of the republicans but a rejection of incumbents

believe me, i hate all politicians. and those that want to take more of whats mine, i hate more. thus the dancing bananas.

Edited by dmarc117

Yeah, i don't get why Massachussettes voters who already have universal healthcare would want to pay more taxes to bring universal healthcare that they already have. Obviously a backlash against universal healthcare.

What? :wacko::D

Whatever allows you to sleep at night Grunge. :D

Again, I see where Brown beats the alternative, and the celebration was about the HC bill more than anything. :D

It's like the ol' mixed feelings things. How did you react when your wife said your penis was bigger than mine? :D

At the National Review, Lisa Schiffren wrote off Brown’s votes as “politics,” but not the worst kind.

“It isn't just that he comes from blue, blue Massachusetts, where voters have certain expectations,” Schiffren wrote on The Corner blog. “I am guessing that Scott Brown believes that he cannot simply join the (highly effective and admirable) ‘no’ chorus of Republicans, lest he be labeled a pure obstructionist and not an independent kind of guy who's just looking for effective solutions to get the working men and women of Massachusetts back to work. “

Schiffren said it’s better for Brown to get “compromiser” votes “out of the way with a relatively unimportant jobs bill rather than serious bailout or tax bill.”

“Cynical?” she asked. "’Calculated’ is a better word. And let's remember that our hero is, after all, a career politician.”

Right And you think your new hero is a Republican.

Soon his middle name will be RINO.

But hey he's cute and supposedly likes girls, this is the new republican party. :wacko:

From the locked Brown thread earleir this year:

That thread is awesome.

I'm a stinking genius.

Right And you think your new hero is a Republican.

Soon his middle name will be RINO.

But hey he's cute and supposedly likes girls, this is the new republican party. pickle.gif

Really? Why filibuster it then? Or is this a new definition of "relatively unimportant"?

You quoted it yourself:

Most other Republicans voted in favor of the filibuster because of strong-arm tactics by Democratic Majority Leader Harry Reid of Nevada. The bill is likely to enjoy far broader GOP support on Wednesday when it's put to an up-or-down vote.

I don't think this shows him as being a savior, but an indicator of things to come. I think it shows the frustration that even some liberals have with the Dems in Washington. I don't think anyone was comparing the guy to Reagan or even Newt.

Or it showed that the MA voters didn't like the crap candidate the Dems lazily trotted out.

:wacko: We need more congresspeople that vote what is wanted by the people, not what is politically expedient.

uh, doing what people want is typically the politically expedient thing to do

it is not, however, often the best thing to do (because most people are stupid and ignorantly want the government to do things that will actually make things worse off in the long run)

At the National Review, Lisa Schiffren wrote off Brown’s votes as “politics,” but not the worst kind.

“It isn't just that he comes from blue, blue Massachusetts, where voters have certain expectations,” Schiffren wrote on The Corner blog. “I am guessing that Scott Brown believes that he cannot simply join the (highly effective and admirable) ‘no’ chorus of Republicans, lest he be labeled a pure obstructionist and not an independent kind of guy who's just looking for effective solutions to get the working men and women of Massachusetts back to work. “

Schiffren said it’s better for Brown to get “compromiser” votes “out of the way with a relatively unimportant jobs bill rather than serious bailout or tax bill.”

“Cynical?” she asked. "’Calculated’ is a better word. And let's remember that our hero is, after all, a career politician.”

that sounds about right

uh, doing what people want is typically the politically expedient thing to do

it is not, however, often the best thing to do (because most people are stupid and ignorantly want the government to do things that will actually make things worse off in the long run)

SS, Medicare, welfare, etc...