[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

South by Southwest, 2010

darin3

Once again, it's time for the hugh indie music festival here in Austin, South by Southwest (SXSW). The final 3/4's of 2009 were a whirlwind, so I wasn't able to put together a compilation CD for SXSW '09, but once again I'll be compiling CDs this time around; perhaps I'll make a 2009-2010 double CD set or something.

Anyways, the schedule of showcasing bands has come out: http://sxsw.com/music/shows/byvenue

Feel free to peruse the 5-day schedule and let me know if any bands - not listed below - pop out at you. And for those that haven't a clue what I'm talking about, it's basically 5 days of free music during the day, mostly from indie/unsigned bands, and the nights feature shows that you typically need a badge/wristband (which cost a bit of coin) but there's ways to continue with the free theme. I am a SXSW nut; starting out at 11am downtown and going well into the night each of the days.

The bands I currently have down as "must/hope-to see" include: Shooter Jennings, Riverboat Gamblers, Peelander Z, Asteroids Galaxy Tour, Ozomatli, Mother Truckers, Suzanne Vega, Spoon, Raul Malo, Stone Temple Pilots, The Walkmen, San Saba County, Hayes Carll, Gary Clark, Jr., The Gourds, The Crystal Method, Centro-Matic, Okkervil River, Deer Tick, Midlake, Jakob Dylan, Cracker, Cheap Trick, Black Joe Lewis & The Honeybears, Citizen Cope, Grupo Fantasma, Sum-41, White Ghost Shivers, BT, Del Castillo, Bowling for Soup, DJ Quik, Dash Rip Rock, Lil Capn Travis, The Chevelles and The Band of Heathens.

:D:wacko:

And as always, check back here for updates if you care to. :D

If you can give Cheap Trick a pass I would. They are very close to the top of my worst concert ever list. Although, that was 25 years ago. They may have gotten better over the years.

If you can give Cheap Trick a pass I would. They are very close to the top of my worst concert ever list. Although, that was 25 years ago. They may have gotten better over the years.

Saw them in Old Milwaukee County Stadium I guess it was in 1977. Say them again 2 years ago in San Antonio. Both shows were great!

Course I worked in Rockford for a few years so I'm a bit of a homer in that regard.

• 2 weeks later...

First what I'd see because I've heard of/heard the bands:

Wednesday night I'd consider Jenny Owens Young and Steve Poltz at the Hilton Garden Inn but then you'd miss freakin Motorhead at the Austin Music Hall.

Thursday I'd just stay put at the Beauty Bar after hitting the Dr. Dog show at 5:00 on the Day Stage at the Convention Center. Great line-up at the Beauty Bar for old CFH. Dawes is pretty awesome, the Whigs are really good, and Free Energy has at least two really good songs. Then the greatness of Deer Tick after Free Energy. Big negative would be missing Centro-Matic at midnight at Emo's. The Mother Hips are also playing at the Encore patio at 11:00 I'd probably have to regretfully pass for the Beauty Bar. The Riverboat Gamblers play at 1:00 am at Red 7 Patio as well. Passing on the Driveby Truckers at Stubbs at 10:30 would be tough. I heard their new song the other day. Really good. You might be able to catch DBT at Stubbs and Deer Tick if you haul ass. Is this the day you are catching Citizen Cope at the Driskill? I'd catch Citizen Cope Friday at Momos.

Friday night Fanfarlo at the Ale House. Citizen Cope at Momos. What's up with Friday :wacko: I'm either missing something or Frday would be spent trying to find something new. As busy as Thursday and Saturday would be for me, Friday seems dead.

Saturday I'd catch the Thrift Store Cowboys at 9:00 at the Ale House. I might park it at the Amsterdam Cafe for Lil' Cap'n Travis and Carrie Rodriguez at 11 and 12. Band of Heathens plays at 1:00. I can't remember if Ilike Band of Heathens or, if like Radiohead, they are a band I feel I should like but can't get into. Anyways...at Lady Bird Lake from 4-7 you have Dawes, Deer Tick and Lucero, which would free up Thursday to catch the Mother Hips, DBT and CentroMatic. You can catch Free Energy at 8:00 at the Cedar Street Courtyard. The Watsoin Twins play at 9:00 at the Central Presbyterian Church. They have a good cover of Just Like Heaven among other worthwhile songs.

The baby is up so I'll go back through when I've got some spare time and listen to some bands I've never heard of to see which I'd like to try out and finish my personal list for Saturday night.

:D

As alway, have a great time. I'm packing up the family and headed downto LBJ Ranch for some family photos in the bluebonnets probably the weekend of April 10. We'd love to stop and grab some grub so let me know if you'll be around that weekend.

I haven't forgotten the CD for you and Yuke, either.

Edited by Clubfoothead

Damn totally forgot about this thread... :wacko::D

In addition to what you have, I would add Schwayze, Lucero, Dash Rip Rock, and how can you not see B-Real from Cypress Hill?

I'm definitely seein' Dash Rip Rock...

I've seen Cypress Hill live and they are awesome. I'll probably try checking out B-Real.

Darin, good places to stay for the festival? Thinking of heading out for one night with the missus.

Good luck. Obviously the closer to downtown, the better. Shoot me a PM here if you're definitely coming and I'll get you my cell # so we can try grabbing a beer or something. :D

---

And clubby, thank you sir, I'll dissect your post later.

First night: Spoon

Second night: Evan Dando/Stone Temple Pilots/The Whigs - Deer Tick/Rogue Wave/CamperVanCracker (must see)/Dr. Dog/Riverboat Gamblers

way too much to see that's good on Thursday

Third night: Black Rebel Motorcycle Club (this is all I'd see given the timing)

Fourth night: Chance to see Rogue Wave in the afternoon...nothing else jumps out

You owe me like 3 years worth of music. :D

No doubt you'll get a copy of the next one too. :D

I didn't even see Black Rebel Motorcycle Club, you'll probably want to check them out. They rock.

I'm probably going to need a spreadsheet to finger it out :wacko:

Edited by Clubfoothead

I didn't check for scheduling conflicts...

the abovementioned

Black Rebel Motorcycle Club

Dr. Dog

don't think they've been mentioned:

Melissa Auf der Maur

Wanda Jackson and Green Corn Revival

She Wants Revenge

Findlay Brown

Fanfarlo

The Lords of Altamont (not punk - don't know who tagged them as such)

We Were Promised Jetpacks

Billy Bragg

Sharon Jones and the Dap Kings

Broken Bells

Cocktail Slippers

wow! alot more than I recommended last year. Not sure if that's a reflection on me or the lineup. Have fun. One of these years I'll get down there

You owe me like 3 years worth of music. :D

Definitely go see Deer Tick.

:wacko: I am pretty sure I sent you the last one I did, from '08.

Saw Deer Tick at Austin City Limits back in September and they were pretty good. I got them on my "intended" schedule this SXSW. :D

---

Clubby! Sent you a Facebook message. Can't wait to see y'all.

---

Thanks to the rest for the suggestions. :D

:wacko: I am pretty sure I sent you the last one I did, from '08.

Saw Deer Tick at Austin City Limits back in September and they were pretty good. I got them on my "intended" schedule this SXSW. :D

---

Clubby! Sent you a Facebook message. Can't wait to see y'all.

---

Thanks to the rest for the suggestions. :D

Nope, unless you and Club are the same person. :D

Club sent me some music a few months ago that really kicks ass, that's how I became familiar with Deer Tick. :D