[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Car buying

MojoMan

To hijack my own thread,

Unless you lease cars or you are independently wealthy, how do you decide when it's time to replace your car?

I'm the cheapest man on the planet. I buy new leftovers (in the fall when the new models come out), maintain regularly, and then drive em into the ground. I have two right now with over ten years and 140K miles (a Mazda and a Subaru) and they both have a long way to go. I don't replace them until the average monthly repair costs exceed the cost of purchase, or they're just not safe. And for TimC, my third car is a Hyundai with a 100K mile warranty :wacko:

By the way, my subaru is AWD outback that has also been a nice car (not as good as the Mazda though). Repairs can be pricey though and as someone mentioned somewhere, you WILL have to replace the head gasket at some point. It's almost as fast as a horse. I probably won't get another one just based on price.

Thinking about a Ford Fusion too.

Anyone have any experience with the Fusion...especially reliability?

The Fusion is a very nice car - solid all the way around. I often request them when renting. The Avis in Redding, CA has a black Merc that's just a relabeled Fusion - I've put almost 6,000 miles on it. :D

The comparable GMs - Impala and G6 suck. They make decent power, but the fit and finish don't compare to the Ford/Merc.

I love Audi's, but they're not in the same class, so it's an apples and oranges deal. My sis-in-law has a convertible turbo TT (manual) I take out once in a while - freakin' blast!!! Neighbor has an older A4 that sill looks good and he has no problems with it.

Suburus are for lesbians - I think it's a law. :wacko:

Anybody have any opinions on the following vehicles:

Buick LaCrosse (GM product - yeah I know)

My brother is an area manager for a car rental place so I got to try a lot of cars. The Lacrosse is a very nice upscale sedan, particularly if you get all the bells and whistles. I am 6'2'' and had plenty of legroom . . .

To hijack my own thread,

Unless you lease cars or you are independently wealthy, how do you decide when it's time to replace your car?

When it dies? :wacko:

I have a Dodge Grand caravan Sport for the family vehicle and havent had any major issues. 2000 model with 174,000 miles on it. I have started planning and researching a replacement for in the next year, most likely a 3 row SUV.

I also have a Toyota Camry, 1996 with 274,000 miles on it. It WILL be replaced by year's end. I never buy new, research the hell out of the cars, and ride em until the monthly cost in maintenance is prohibitive.

To hijack my own thread,

For us, it was a combination of factors. Our cars were 98 and 99 Accords. Both cars needed to have the timing belt changed to the tune of $750 each. We planed to start the family this year and wanted a baby and dog friendly minivan. Book value on the 98 Accord was ~2400, and the 99 was ~3800. We had confidence that both cars could last another 4-5 years with proper maintenance. So, we decided that $750 was a little much to put into the 98 given its book value and our family needs in the coming years. That 750 could be roughly two months of new car payments instead of keeping the 98 going for another year and then buying a new car assuming baby-making success. Bonus reasons: APR rates were reasonable and the federal sales tax deduction in 09. So, as a trade in, we got 2400 for the 98 and only had to do the maintenance on the 99. If all goes well, we'll have the minivan paid off in time to retire the 99 and only have one car payment per month.