[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

The Subtle Humor of Marriage

cliaz

Sometimes I sit back and laugh at little things that come along with being married. For example, unspoken rules. The wife and I have unspoken rules that we both follow, with out fail. For my wife, no matter how hot it is outside, no matter how hungry you are, and no matter who you are - if there is only one ice cream bar left or enough left in a container of ice cream to only make 1 bowl, do not touch it. She owns it.

However

As with the force, there is a good side to offset her dark side. Mine is that no matter what, if you bring chocolate into my house, I'm eating it. Every year for Easter, the wife has to stash the candy over at her parents or her classroom and she brings it home that night with some specifically to tied me over till the next day.

I grew up in East Texas and had three siblings including two older brothers. That meant that if you wanted to get second helpings of anything, you better eat fast and even faster if there was a good desert with not enough for everyone. We would fight over the final whatever it was. My wife grew up with just one sister and in a household with a heavy Swedish influence. That means everyone shares. It was apparently against the family law to eat the last of anything, you were to tear whatever in two and eat only half until such time it was down to maybe one crumb.

We were at her parents house not long after we got married and there was one cookie left on a plate in the kitchen. So I ate it. Later on, my wife asked me very seriously if I had any idea who ate the entire last cookie. I told her it was delicious. You'd have thought I had killed their cat. When I am at their house now, I never eat the last of anything but at least at my house that rule no longer applies. Pretty funny how differently people are raised.

I grew up in East Texas and had three siblings including two older brothers. That meant that if you wanted to get second helpings of anything, you better eat fast and even faster if there was a good desert with not enough for everyone. We would fight over the final whatever it was. My wife grew up with just one sister and in a household with a heavy Swedish influence. That means everyone shares. It was apparently against the family law to eat the last of anything, you were to tear whatever in two and eat only half until such time it was down to maybe one crumb.

We were at her parents house not long after we got married and there was one cookie left on a plate in the kitchen. So I ate it. Later on, my wife asked me very seriously if I had any idea who ate the entire last cookie. I told her it was delicious. You'd have thought I had killed their cat. When I am at their house now, I never eat the last of anything but at least at my house that rule no longer applies. Pretty funny how differently people are raised.

:wacko: I think my Mom used to secretly enjoy watching my brother and I fight for the last pork chop. She would make 5?!?

Classic.

My wife comes from a decent sized Sicilian family and they used to own a Deli (other relatives still have some delis, etc.). I have yet to attend any family function or dinner where anything came close to running out. Maybe we need to invite a bunch of Texans to the next family gathering as a challenge to see if all of the food can be eaten.

Classic.

My wife comes from a decent sized Sicilian family and they used to own a Deli (other relatives still have some delis, etc.). I have yet to attend any family function or dinner where anything came close to running out. Maybe we need to invite a bunch of Texans to the next family gathering as a challenge to see if all of the food can be eaten.

+1, only my wife's family is German/Dutch.

My Dad's family is off-the-boat Italian and funerals were also a big party. You get to see family you wouldn't normally and you celebrate the life of the person who passed. My wife's family is the stoic, old-school English. Her grandfather died. At the funeral I asked the widow "Where's the keg?" Needless to say, I was in the doghouse for years after that. But now I bring beer to her families funerals with enough to share.

The wife and I are both inbred white trash from South Arkansas. We had been dating a couple of weeks and her dad shows up with an approximately 40 lb watermelon. He brought out a butcher knife and says "here ya go P. have at it". Over the next 15-20 minutes I ate it, all of it. Her dad came out and wanted a piece of melon. I told him he was too late as I had already eaten it. He says "You f'n ate he the whole f'n melon. He was a former DI in the Army circa 1965-70. He goes inside and says "girl, that big ass boy done eat the whole melon, what are we supposed to do? I ain't never seen anything like that." The gf comes out and asked if I had really eaten the entire melon. I really thought he had brought it to me to eat.

:wacko: