[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

I-Pad

Menudo

• Replies 57
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

There are a ton of reviews out there on it right now. There is a ton of hype surrounding it right now. If you're looking for a cool toy, go ahead and get it. One of the best lines I read about it is, "It's great at consuming media, it's not good at creating it." That means that it's great for looking at things on the web or reading, it's not too great if you need to create a spreadsheet. That being said, it does look cool. My wife has said she wants one.

I almost grabbed one this weekend. Reason I didn't: you can't use a wireless usb with it. If you have wireless in your house, you're good but if you plan on using it in the car or something you can't attach a usb to it. In a month they will have a newer version where you can use AT&T wireless but who wants that extra cost? I already have a verizon wireless card/adapter thingy. The more I think about it, seems like an over-priced over-hyped Itouch. I mean if you're going to give me a bigger Itouch, at least give me the option of a usb port or two - nope.

I have one. Set it up last night and posted from it a few times.

What do you want to know?

My overall opinion of the technology has not changed since getting it: People have been asking me for a while what I think pf the iPad. I tell most of them that I think it is unnecessary and redundant. Indulgent. A toy just to have a toy.

That said, I think that in the right application it has some uses.

Application 1 (obvious) - It's probably the best travel device out there. It does not compete with Kindle really at all as an ebook reader because of the lack of the whole e-paper / e-ink technology which is really easy on the eyes, but then I would not imagine that short term that would be a big deal. Fine as an e-book reader when traveling. I would not want to do all of my reading on the device because I would worry about eye strain. Great as a device to watch video and listen through headphones...say while on a plane or sitting in a car on a long ride. Better than an iPhone/iPod touch because of the screen size. Also a fine iPod in it's own right, albeit not so portable. Great for doing online stuff at a location that has wifi. Try tethering a bluetooth phone to it, maybe you can get 3G that way. iPhone does not support tethering, so I have not tried....but other phones might connect fine to iPad. Great for playing games to pass the time. Screen size and compact form are nice for this.

Lost of uses for iPad in this genre. Most of them are redundant to things people might already have. Does many of them adequately enough to subsitute for another device in certain situations. The only one it does "best" IMO is video.

Application 2: You have a family. You have a Mac (or a PC... *gag* ) at home that everyone shares. People want to use the computer at the same time to look stuff up, email friends, set line-ups, etc. Enter iPad. For the cost of iPad, you get a nice device that people in the family can have (each their own maybe) and do what they want on the house wifi without having to get a laptop. No more fighting over the computer. Maybe not as good at this job as a netbook and a bit more expensive, but prettier and quite frankly harder to screw up. The ability to download apps is nice and allows for low cost task personalization (.ie you buy the apps that suit what you need to do at a low price instead of having to buy expensive software to load into a netbook). Buy enough software versus enough apps and you will save the difference in the hardware between the netbook and the iPad.

My first reason for considering it is that I travel a lot. This looks like a traveler's dream, based on it's size, it's video capabilities & the e-book capability.

Also, being honest, I do too much personal stuff on my work laptop. I use it for everything (games, photos, music, etc.). I work from home, so, I'm often streaming sports radio while working. I would just feel better and would like to separate things. I'd like to have my laptop specifically for work and the I-Pad specifically for play.

I'm still up in the air. I've got some bonus money that the wife is freeing up for me to spend on something fun for myself. I'm deciding between the I-Pad and a Gas Grill upgrade to a Weber. I'm having trouble making the choice, but, I'm leaning towards the I-Pad. The grill upgrade would be nice, but, I've already got a decent grill. I think I'd probably use and enjoy the I-Pad more, but, the grill might be more practical. :wacko::D

remember that it's not a laptop replacement and you will be fine. nick pretty much nails it in his review.

i'm planning on getting one of these for my parents to replace their old mac laptop. this is perfect for them because they really didn't need a laptop, but there was no other good alternative for them to just be able to surf the web, do email, store pictures, etc. with this, nearly all of the support burden is removed and they have a device to do just what they want, and its very simple to use.

the ipad ... it's your grandma's laptop.

if you use ms office or want to do any kind of content generation, (photoshop, movie editing, etc.), or connect into corporate systems, this is not the solution for you.

i love it as something to have in the family room so i can easily grab it and look something up on the web without having to go into the office and fire up the desktop ...

if you use ms office or want to do any kind of content generation, (photoshop, movie editing, etc.), or connect into corporate systems, this is not the solution for you.

That's not entirely accurate. You can get iWork and Numbers for relatively short money, which IIRC are fully compatible with MS Office. As far as connecting to corporate systems....depends on what you mean by that, and then if the company has an app for that. :wacko:

Photo editing and movie editing might be pushing it, but really it all comes down to what's available in the app store.

I'm sold. Just did some research on the web, and I think it fits what I'm looking for. I located a store that has them and I'm picking one up over my lunch break.

That's not entirely accurate. You can get iWork and Numbers for relatively short money, which IIRC are fully compatible with MS Office. As far as connecting to corporate systems....depends on what you mean by that, and then if the company has an app for that. :wacko:

Photo editing and movie editing might be pushing it, but really it all comes down to what's available in the app store.

Iworks is kind of a pain but it does support MS Office.

You nailed it though in your review - great portable "family" computer that gives you access to everything you need that's not related to work.

ipad equals itunes equals time and money.

would not even consider it until you can use an SD card with it.

only sheep will buy an ipad

You can use an SD card with it. You just have to buy the photo converter for like $40

....oh, and bah

My first message from my iPad.......pretty cool. :wacko:

Congrats :D

Keep your eye out for screen protectors. I would guess you will see them in the next month or so. They sell an anti-glare one for the iPhone, and I imagine the same thing will be available for the iPad. Should help any reflective issues significantly.

Not sure where ton gets his corporate info: I work at a large corporation that uses the Microsoft Exchange server, and the iPads in the building as of yesterday were receiving the emails from said server up to a minute earlier than the PC workstations running outlook at the same station. That tells me it's pretty robust in that area...

Edited by Pope Flick

Not sure where ton gets his corporate info: I work at a large corporation that uses the Microsoft Exchange server, and the iPads in the building as of yesterday were receiving the emails from said server up to a minute earlier than the PC workstations running outlook at the same station. That tells me it's pretty robust in that area...

They support exchange just like iPhone. IIRC they can be remote wiped as well.

There is no reason to be concerned about the device being first generation. The technology behind it is pretty mature.

Have to disagree with you here, and I'm a little surprised you don't agree, considering you're already a Mac owner.

Apple 1st Gen products are always to suck money, then they release the second product - the one everyone expected the 1st gen to be (ala iPhone & iPhone 3G, 13" Macbook Pro). I've worked at a certified Apple Re-Seller for the past three years, and have had Macs for the past 4-5 years - and this is probably the biggest lesson I've learned.

Glaring holes to me:

No web-cam, despite reports that the bezel is already designed to include a web-cam in the 2nd gen.

No USB port for USB Drives, Keyboards, etc... (But you can buy the Apple Keyboard for $70)

No Flash Support (No Hulu)

No Multitasking (Leaving apps running in the background)

The rumored HP Slate is already said to have an inward facing web-cam, outward facing camera, stylus support, and HDMI.

Just too much lacking for me to consider it a "must have" product. Save another few hundred dollars and buy a real laptop.

But yes, if you have extra cash and want a fun toy, then this is it.

The Apple iPad has enjoyed a successful launch, with over 300,000 units moved over a single weekend, but there appears to be a dark cloud hanging over Cupertino's wonder-tablet. Apple's support forum is being bombarded by user complaints centering on the iPad's inability to maintain a full, steady Wi-Fi connection.

A thread entitled "Weak Wifi Pages" already has over 10,000 views – remarkable since it's only been 48 hours since the official iPad launch. Here are a couple of user statements:

I have also noticed very weak wifi signal in my 16GB iPad. Even when standing in front of the wlan router the signal fluctuates from strong to very weak. The router has very strong signals as every other computer here has full signal strength, even 20-30 meters from the route[r].

and:

Let me add my voice to the throng. I'm getting one or two bars on my iPad in rooms where my iPhone, iPod touch, both Macbook Pros, Apple TV and Playstation all get full service .

Users are speculating that the weak signal strength may be caused by poor placement of the Wi-Fi antenna; others ponder if the problems are the symptoms of a software issue. The latter appears to be the culprit evidenced by the fact that most users on the forum who are running completely Apple-based networks are not having the same issue:

I noticed that this was happening at my mother in law's with the ActionTec Verizon FiOS router. However, here at my house, where Time Capsule and Airport Extreme rule the house, I have 0 problems.

No problem here either, my wireless network is run by apple devices too.

Have to disagree with you here, and I'm a little surprised you don't agree, considering you're already a Mac owner.

Apple 1st Gen products are always to suck money, then they release the second product - the one everyone expected the 1st gen to be (ala iPhone & iPhone 3G, 13" Macbook Pro). I've worked at a certified Apple Re-Seller for the past three years, and have had Macs for the past 4-5 years - and this is probably the biggest lesson I've learned.

Glaring holes to me:

No web-cam, despite reports that the bezel is already designed to include a web-cam in the 2nd gen.

No USB port for USB Drives, Keyboards, etc... (But you can buy the Apple Keyboard for $70)

No Flash Support (No Hulu)

No Multitasking (Leaving apps running in the background)

The rumored HP Slate is already said to have an inward facing web-cam, outward facing camera, stylus support, and HDMI.

Just too much lacking for me to consider it a "must have" product. Save another few hundred dollars and buy a real laptop.

But yes, if you have extra cash and want a fun toy, then this is it.

Er...I didn't say that the iPad 2.0 wouldn't have more goodies. I said there was no reason to be concerned about the technology because it was mature. I am sure it will have some kind of camera at a later point.

To your other points....

The multitasking is overblown. I can leave a Suduku game and come right back to where I left off without having to save. I can play music and do other things. What kind of multitasking are you really looking for out of a hand held device? Where's the big lack. Describe something that you need to do with this please so that I understand the problem.

Yes, there is no USB for keyboard. There is bluetooth support. Remember, more ports = more cost, more weight, more cuts in the case, etc.

There is no Flash support. The browser is HTML 5.0. Sites that use flash are going to have to adapt to newer technology. My company is already working on this. HTML 5.0 is here. Not going anywhere.