[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Traveling to Pittsburgh

matt770

Wife and I will be in Pittsburgh for 4th of July weekend with another couple. Other than Phillies at Pirates on the 3rd, we haven't planned anything yet. What are some sights to see in the city? We're up for anything, museums, tours, etc. Also if any restaurants or sports bars are considered legendary/can't-miss, and good breakfast/brunch spots. TIA.

The travel channel always shows some famous ginormous sandwich from someplace downtown. I'm sure skippy or menudo will be along shortly to tell you what it is called.

Skippy, max and Squeegiebo live in Pittsburgh. Menudo lives a bit away but may know that still.

• 2 months later...
This...

Pittsburgh is a hell hole...

Nope, definitely one of the nicer cities I've seen and we all had a blast. PNC Park is situated right on the river and we had seats right behind home plate. Perfect spot to watch the fireworks Saturday night, and then we took the incline trolley up Mt. Washington to watch more on Sunday. The fireworks from that vantage point, against the city skyline were pretty incredible. We skipped Primanti Brothers because we heard it's overrated but did hit a place called Pamela's for breakfast that was great. Before leaving yesterday we did a riverboat tour which was fun.

it's not a place I would want to live but you can't beat it for a long weekend.

Nope, definitely one of the nicer cities I've seen and we all had a blast. PNC Park is situated right on the river and we had seats right behind home plate. Perfect spot to watch the fireworks Saturday night, and then we took the incline trolley up Mt. Washington to watch more on Sunday. The fireworks from that vantage point, against the city skyline were pretty incredible. We skipped Primanti Brothers because we heard it's overrated but did hit a place called Pamela's for breakfast that was great. Before leaving yesterday we did a riverboat tour which was fun.

it's not a place I would want to live but you can't beat it for a long weekend.

WRONG!!!!

Edited by SEC=UGA

:wacko:

There was a lot to see and do for a long weekend. Visually, the place is stunning. The rivers and bridges make for great snapshots. The food was awesome. Do I want to deal with redneck Steeler fans and 30 feet of snow every winter? No.

Sorry I was not around to see this Matt. It sounds like you had a good time anyway so I guess no big deal. Primanti Brothers is not overated. It may not be your cup of tea, (Skylive did not love it), but for a sandwich under $7.00 that is very good and different, you can't beat it. IMHO

Did you make it to the Strip district at all? Or over the South Side to get your drink on? I take for granted what I have here and I am probably a poor host but I have been lots of places around this country and I still love Pittsburgh. I guess it helps that I am one of those redneck stiller fans.

Sorry I was not around to see this Matt. It sounds like you had a good time anyway so I guess no big deal. Primanti Brothers is not overated. It may not be your cup of tea, (Skylive did not love it), but for a sandwich under $7.00 that is very good and different, you can't beat it. IMHO

Did you make it to the Strip district at all? Or over the South Side to get your drink on? I take for granted what I have here and I am probably a poor host but I have been lots of places around this country and I still love Pittsburgh. I guess it helps that I am one of those redneck stiller fans.

We saw a little of everything. Checked out the Point State Park area for the regatta on Sunday, then walked across the Fort Duquesne bridge to JB's, then happened to walk by PNC Park as the Phillies' bus was loading and the Pirates were leaving in their Benzes and Lamborghinis. A few women threatened to raise their tops for the players but unfortunately it was just talk. Went to Station Square later in the day (Hard Rock, Kiko Japanese place), then up the incline to Mt. Washington for the fireworks (huge predominance of "interesting" folks up there, stopped in a few dive bars and saw people too drunk to be alive), then we did do the Strip District yesterday when we had breakfast at Pamela's. Those pancakes/crepes are like crack cocaine. I would gain 80 pounds if I lived there.

Heinz Western PA Sports Museum

This place was very cool, even for a Philly fan. Some great interactive exhibits, and awesome pieces of history from the Steelers heydays, Parker/Stargell/Clemente, and of course Super Mario and his Stanley Cups.

Highly recommended, an easy 2 hours to kill, and right downtown.

You know that I have never been there? I mean I live here and lived through most of what the museum has to offer but as many times I set out to go there, I just never made it. I am going to have to make it a point to check it out.

Matt - never went to Pamela's either. I know that it is great as everyone that I know has been there but I just never felt the need. I will be right by the place on Thursday so I think the wife and I will give it a try.