[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Tornado photos

Clubfoothead

Any scientific value to anyone amymore?

Almost got killed by one about 15 miles west of Amarillo on April 20. We saw it coming and pulled over to find a ditch but there was none and we were about 45 degrees to the northeast of it. Had no idea how wide it was but it was headed directly at us. I decided because there was no ditch the only was to live was to get to the west side of the tornado so I puched the rental car. Amazingly an HHR will do 120. And my obsession with tornados trained me well (I had always been told they generally travel to thenorth and east) and we got past it barely. You could feel the wind pulling the car back towards the tornado and the speedometer would drop to 110 quickly and then dart back up to 120, trippy. My passenger took a few photos as we drove past it which turned out pretty well given his camera and teh fact we were doing 120.

No damage other than a turned over 18 wheeler, there wasn't much else to damage way out there.

Should I spend the time trying to figure out who at Texas Tech or whereever to email the pictures in case there is any scientific value? I know they are cool pictures but that's all I know.

When I've got some time to create some sort of account somewhere I'll upload them.

Glad to hear you are ok. My best friend's mom was in the path of the tornados that hit Mississippi two weeks ago. Her home was completely destroyed (meaning it is completely gone... GONE). She was trapped beneath rubble and had pretty severe injuries. She spent several days in ICU and then just yesterday had surgery to repair some broken bones she sustained.

Any scientific value to anyone amymore?

Almost got killed by one about 15 miles west of Amarillo on April 20. We saw it coming and pulled over to find a ditch but there was none and we were about 45 degrees to the northeast of it. Had no idea how wide it was but it was headed directly at us. I decided because there was no ditch the only was to live was to get to the west side of the tornado so I puched the rental car. Amazingly an HHR will do 120. And my obsession with tornados trained me well (I had always been told they generally travel to thenorth and east) and we got past it barely. You could feel the wind pulling the car back towards the tornado and the speedometer would drop to 110 quickly and then dart back up to 120, trippy. My passenger took a few photos as we drove past it which turned out pretty well given his camera and teh fact we were doing 120.

No damage other than a turned over 18 wheeler, there wasn't much else to damage way out there.

Should I spend the time trying to figure out who at Texas Tech or whereever to email the pictures in case there is any scientific value? I know they are cool pictures but that's all I know.

When I've got some time to create some sort of account somewhere I'll upload them.

Wow, that's intense. Glad you're ok and looking forward to pics.

Awesome story. Living in the west I'm more knowledgeable on what to do during earthquakes and volcanic eruptions. Was working on a job site in Little Rock, Arkansas a few years ago and the tornado alarms starting going off. Between not knowing really what to do, and having a Site Map where east was up instead of north. I started driving back to my hotel, right towards the tornado. :wacko:

Yea, tornados are very interesting. My aunt, uncle and cousin were in their house outside of Paris TX (tornado alley) while a tornado took the entire top of the house away. They stayed in the bathroom with one of those no slip rubber pads over their heads to catch the glass. Their house was totaled but they were unscratched. They built another house in the same spot.

I would love to see those pics...I do not know what I woulda done had I been in your shoes. I think you are very lucky.

Edited by Scooby's Hubby

Well here's what I was able to figure out, it might even work:

http://s842.photobucket.com/home/Clubfoothead/index

We are lucky I didn't crash into something. I was hypnotized by the thing, barely looking ahead while doing 120.

The amazing thing was there was a trooper letting people drive west to east right into it. I was out in the road for a few minutes stopping cars on I-40 from driving into it before we noticed the clouds above us were rotating still. Trooper never even got out of his fn suburban, which is probably a good thing seeing as I had a pocket full of KB, but still. Got stuck in Winslow, Arizona on the same trip for 4 1/2 hours because of a sand storm shut down I-40 but the Texas Trooper couldn't stop traffic for 10 minuets on I-40.

By the way I-40 once you hit New Mexico west is amazing scenery. Hadn't done that drive in about 25 years but it remains beautiful.

wiegie, hope your friend's mother is recovering well. It was the same storm system I believe.

Well here's what I was able to figure out, it might even work:

http://s842.photobucket.com/home/Clubfoothead/index

We are lucky I didn't crash into something. I was hypnotized by the thing, barely looking ahead while doing 120.

The amazing thing was there was a trooper letting people drive west to east right into it. I was out in the road for a few minutes stopping cars on I-40 from driving into it before we noticed the clouds above us were rotating still. Trooper never even got out of his fn suburban, which is probably a good thing seeing as I had a pocket full of KB, but still. Got stuck in Winslow, Arizona on the same trip for 4 1/2 hours because of a sand storm shut down I-40 but the Texas Trooper couldn't stop traffic for 10 minuets on I-40.

By the way I-40 once you hit New Mexico west is amazing scenery. Hadn't done that drive in about 25 years but it remains beautiful.

wiegie, hope your friend's mother is recovering well. It was the same storm system I believe.

Pretty intense. Glad to see you are ok.

I'm one of those nuts that goes outside when we have a tornado warning to see if I can see it.

Pretty intense. Glad to see you are ok.

I'm one of those nuts that goes outside when we have a tornado warning to see if I can see it.

+1

Glad to hear your KB wasn't taken from you as well. :wacko: