[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Health Care Bill

SEC=UGA

President Barack Obama's new health care law could potentially add at least $115 billion more to government health care spending over the next 10 years, congressional budget referees said Tuesday.

If Congress approves all the additional spending called for in the legislation, it would push the ten-year cost of the overhaul above $1 trillion - an unofficial limit the Obama administration set early on.

CBSNews.com Special Report: Health Care

The Congressional Budget Office said the added spending includes $10 billion to $20 billion in administrative costs to federal agencies carrying out the law, as well as $34 billion for community health centers and $39 billion for Indian health care.

The costs were not reflected in earlier estimates by the budget office, although Republican lawmakers strenuously argued that they should have been. Part of the reason is technical: the additional spending is not mandatory, leaving Congress with discretion to provide the funds in follow-on legislation - or not.

"Congress does not always act on authorizations that are put into legislation by drafters," explained Kenneth Baer, a spokesman for the White House budget agency. "Authorizations for discretionary spending are not expenditures."

Congressional estimators also said they simply had not had enough time to run the numbers. Costs could go higher, because the legislation authorizes several programs without setting specific funding levels.

The health care law provides coverage to some more than 30 million now uninsured, offering tax credits to help purchase health insurance through new competitive markets that open for business in 2014. When Congress passed the bill in March, the CBO estimated the coverage expansion would cost $938 billion over 10 years, while reducing the federal deficit by $143 billion.

"If Congress were to approve all of this new discretionary funding authorized in the health care bill, almost all of the administration's highly touted savings would be made null and void," said Jennifer Hing, spokeswoman for Republicans on the House Appropriations Committee.

But Baer said Obama would demand that added spending be offset with cuts in other domestic programs. "The president made clear he will enforce that with his veto pen," said Baer.

• Replies 52
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Does it strike anyone as being somewhat funny that this program hasn't even really kicked into gear and it is already going to cost 12% more than what we were told? What the hell is it going to look like in 5 years?

Edited by SEC=UGA

President Barack Obama's new health care law could potentially add at least $115 billion more to government health care spending over the next 10 years, congressional budget referees said Tuesday.

If Congress approves all the additional spending called for in the legislation, it would push the ten-year cost of the overhaul above $1 trillion - an unofficial limit the Obama administration set early on.

CBSNews.com Special Report: Health Care

The Congressional Budget Office said the added spending includes $10 billion to $20 billion in administrative costs to federal agencies carrying out the law, as well as $34 billion for community health centers and $39 billion for Indian health care.

The costs were not reflected in earlier estimates by the budget office, although Republican lawmakers strenuously argued that they should have been. Part of the reason is technical: the additional spending is not mandatory, leaving Congress with discretion to provide the funds in follow-on legislation - or not.

"Congress does not always act on authorizations that are put into legislation by drafters," explained Kenneth Baer, a spokesman for the White House budget agency. "Authorizations for discretionary spending are not expenditures."

Congressional estimators also said they simply had not had enough time to run the numbers. Costs could go higher, because the legislation authorizes several programs without setting specific funding levels.

The health care law provides coverage to some more than 30 million now uninsured, offering tax credits to help purchase health insurance through new competitive markets that open for business in 2014. When Congress passed the bill in March, the CBO estimated the coverage expansion would cost $938 billion over 10 years, while reducing the federal deficit by $143 billion.

"If Congress were to approve all of this new discretionary funding authorized in the health care bill, almost all of the administration's highly touted savings would be made null and void," said Jennifer Hing, spokeswoman for Republicans on the House Appropriations Committee.

But Baer said Obama would demand that added spending be offset with cuts in other domestic programs. "The president made clear he will enforce that with his veto pen," said Baer.

Wow, a story not from Fox News. How will the libs on this board shoot the story down when the sources are CBS NEWS AND THE CBO? I am sure very few will comment because they already knew this and do not care one lick what the costs or the negative effects of the bill will be. We just HAD TO DO SOMETHING FOR ALL THESE POOR DYING PEOPLE. The only thing they did was make my insurance worse and more costly. That was the plan the whole time. Take from those that have it. Life is so unfair when you are a loser. It must make them feel good to be supported by those of us that are successful.

It's almost like they didn't really think this through.

It got to the point where they had to get something passed, so screw the details...like how much it'll cost or how to pay for it or what it'll entail. Hey, we just passed a healthcare bill...love us!!

I thought the CBO estimates didn't hold any weight? Oh yea, that was last month.

the criticism of the CBO scoring of the health care bill was always that the democrats rigged the bill to get a good score by delaying implementation of costs and ignoring implicit costs that would have to be dealt with later. and that is exactly what we are seeing here -- this is just the other shoe dropping.

nice try though :wacko:

the criticism of the CBO scoring of the health care bill was always that the democrats rigged the bill to get a good score by delaying implementation of costs and ignoring implicit costs that would have to be dealt with later. and that is exactly what we are seeing here -- this is just the other shoe dropping.

nice try though :wacko:

Yup, it's just one big coincidence that CBO projections are only to be trusted when they say what you want them to. :tup:

Why folks post this kind of stuff without a link is beyond me. :tup:

If you want to make a point, fricken post the link so we can see it in it's entirety, not just what you guys chose to share. :wacko:

Without seeing the full context, no fully informed reply is possible.

http://www.cbsnews.com/stories/2010/05/11/...tag=mncol;lst;1

There is the link.

Did you lefties REALLY think this was not going to happen?

Again,

Cretin and every freaking lib in the world knew this would happen but they do not care. They are sticking it to the man for their own benefit. I guess when you have no pride you don't care that someone is carrying your ass.

Why folks post this kind of stuff without a link is beyond me. :tup:

If you want to make a point, fricken post the link so we can see it in it's entirety, not just what you guys chose to share. :wacko:

Without seeing the full context, no fully informed reply is possible.

I posted the whole freakin article... Didn't think link was necessary. But in the future I'll post the whole freakin article and the freakin link. My freakin apologies.

I posted the whole freakin article... Didn't think link was necessary. But in the future I'll post the whole freakin article and the freakin link. My freakin apologies.

If you don't post the link, a lot times the liberals don't know where the article is from. If they don't know where the article is from, they have a hard time attacking the source, and are forced to either actually talk about the subject matter if they want to respond.

If you don't post the link, a lot times the liberals don't know where the article is from. If they don't know where the article is from, they have a hard time attacking the source, and are forced to either actually talk about the subject matter if they want to respond.

You're clearly become a victim, when it comes to liberals not being able to attack the subject.

The health care law provides coverage to some more than 30 million now uninsured, offering tax credits to help purchase health insurance through new competitive markets that open for business in 2014. When Congress passed the bill in March, the CBO estimated the coverage expansion would cost $938 billion over 10 years, while reducing the federal deficit by $143 billion

Why is everyone so worried about this?

Once our employers dump our coverage and pay the fine instead, I look forward to being served at the local government run health cooperative with the same efficiency and competence we've come to expect from the post office, the DMV, the VA, and the census.

Why is everyone so worried about this?

Once our employers dump our coverage and pay the fine instead, I look forward to being served at the local government run health cooperative with the same efficiency and competence we've come to expect from the post office, the DMV, the VA, and the census.

Dont forget the military!